Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The devil's canal-boat juice..  (Read 2094 times)

aaronjb

The devil's canal-boat juice..
« on: 29 June 2017, 11:49:43 »

Or diesel, as most of us know it..

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/06/bmw-drops-manual-transmission-best-model-help-pay-rd/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=M5Board.com_breaking&utm_source=M5Board.com20170628

“In the 5 series we have four diesel engines on offer. I would not bet on there being four diesel engines on offer in the next generation vehicle,” Peter [BMW US CFO] explained.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: The devil's canal-boat juice..
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2017, 13:09:39 »

I've always wondered why there is such a baffling array of models from BMW, most of which seem largely similar. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2017, 13:10:45 »

Sales of derv powered cars are falling fast.

Let us all rejoice. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2017, 13:49:24 »

And the sales of electric cars are rising fast!

Probably a source of less rejoicing in this particular corner of the internet  ;D. However, with a diesel scrappage scheme rumoured for the last couple of years of the decade, I can easily see myself making the switch.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2017, 14:20:31 »

And the sales of electric cars are rising fast!

Probably a source of less rejoicing in this particular corner of the internet  ;D. However, with a diesel scrappage scheme rumoured for the last couple of years of the decade, I can easily see myself making the switch.

Simply buy a Testicle P100D with ludicrous and be done with it. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2017, 15:21:28 »

Don't care about any diesel scrappage scheme. They will prise the keys to my 190D out of my cold dead hands.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2017, 17:29:59 »

Don't care about any diesel scrappage scheme. They will prise the keys to my 190D out of my cold dead hands:D

Don't worry, the government won't be that desperate. ::) ::) ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2017, 17:39:11 »

A straight swap seems fair.  :y

So if the government offer me a Tesla in exchange for my 18 year old BMW 530d-erv polluter then I'd feel obliged to accept.  :)

No need to thank me for saving the planet and the poor little children either!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2017, 11:13:31 »

All the govt needs to so is double/treble/quadruple the tax/duty on diesel so it's £5 a Litre (£25 ish a gallon), make the costs on cars & vans (not buses/lorries) for companies non tax deductible and the devil fuel cars will die off pretty rapidly. Oh - and put up the car tax for diesels up to £1000 per year. All for eco-mentalist reasons obviously.

Sorted. ;D
« Last Edit: 30 June 2017, 11:15:26 by LC0112G »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2017, 11:15:49 »

They can raise the duty on diesel as high as they like, as long as they leave the VED alone. I will keep my 190D for ever then.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2017, 11:25:32 »

I doubt there will be retrospective VED changes any time soon. They are incredibly unpopular and this gov't is already hanging on by a thread. Similar to pensioner benefits discussed in another thread, vote-losing policies will be in short supply in the next 5yrs or so

Similarly I don't see a massive hike in diesel tax at the pumps. We're a road based economy after all and it would be hella costly to make a multi-tier system of fuel pricing based on whether you're filling up a car, van or hgv.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2017, 13:21:08 »

Similarly I don't see a massive hike in diesel tax at the pumps. We're a road based economy after all and it would be hella costly to make a multi-tier system of fuel pricing based on whether you're filling up a car, van or hgv.

That's the easy bit. Same (huge) price at the pumps for everyone. But a company can claim the fuel costs back as an expense for lorries, so it's deducted against profits before corporation tax so it's tax neutral for things that basically have to use Diesel. However, you cant claim the fuel costs for vans or company cars - this will incentivise companies to change their company cars/vans to something else - which they typically do every 2-3 years anyway.

All it requires is a few words in the Budget and a modification in the tax rules (which happens at every budget anyway) and job jobbed.

Ok loads of hacked off personal owners with diesel cars, but give people 12 months notice of the changes and that can be mitigated because they're threatening the world with imminent death and should be ashamed. Around here most are using Red Diesel anyway so where's the problem?

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2017, 15:08:28 »

That's the easy bit. Same (huge) price at the pumps for everyone. But a company can claim the fuel costs back as an expense for lorries, so it's deducted against profits before corporation tax so it's tax neutral for things that basically have to use Diesel. However, you cant claim the fuel costs for vans or company cars - this will incentivise companies to change their company cars/vans to something else - which they typically do every 2-3 years anyway.

All it requires is a few words in the Budget and a modification in the tax rules (which happens at every budget anyway) and job jobbed.

Ok loads of hacked off personal owners with diesel cars, but give people 12 months notice of the changes and that can be mitigated because they're threatening the world with imminent death and should be ashamed. Around here most are using Red Diesel anyway so where's the problem?

Yes it is deducted from taxable profits so it means it reduces corporation tax but that will be 18% of the price hike.  However companies or investors aren't fond of reducing profits so they pass the increase costs on.  In other words, transport costs go up and as consumers we all pay
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2017, 16:41:46 »

Yes it is deducted from taxable profits so it means it reduces corporation tax but that will be 18% of the price hike.  However companies or investors aren't fond of reducing profits so they pass the increase costs on.  In other words, transport costs go up and as consumers we all pay

This.

I remember an Eddie stowbart  documentary a while ago, the guy reckoned 1p on fuel is £100k off their bottom line. Whether you believe that or not is another matter. What isn't in doubt is that it hurts business and if the tories are going to hang their narrative together into the next election they need to be sent o be very much on the side of business and the "working man"

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2017, 18:30:38 »

Commercial fuel is very much a tax write off, the problem is cash flow...

Imagine needing to buy your fuel, and pay for it, two years ahead of being able to write it off thereby having to carry that cost without impinging on the bottom line forever...

A penny a litre is probably £10 per truck per week, so £520 extra per year per truck...

Not a significant bother... if you run one truck... However, if you run a hundred trucks, that suddenly becomes £1,000 each week or £52,000 per year on top of the existing fuel bill.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2017, 18:36:03 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.