Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice grille  (Read 1842 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Nice grille
« on: 16 March 2008, 09:43:56 »

I've got a Steinmetz grille on my Facelift right now as I don't like the Vauxhall "V" and am not keen on the Opel badging / chrome stripe either.

The thing is I'm not convinced about the "criss-cross" of the grille as it doesn't look right along with the horizontal slats on the lower valance grille in the bumper.

This looks like the perfect solution (forgetting the mental bonnet mods), and I reckon the outer edge could be sprayed to colour match the car.

Does anyone know what this grille is?

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nice grille
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2008, 09:46:43 »

looks to be a complete custom grille made on request i think, never seen one like that without the verticle slats

i like how they've kept the prefacelift bumper on it even with the facelift bonnet tho, very clever

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2008, 09:49:52 »

looks to be a complete custom grille made on request i think, never seen one like that without the verticle slats

i like how they've kept the prefacelift bumper on it even with the facelift bonnet tho, very clever

I wonder if one could be made with an Opel grille as a starting point?
« Last Edit: 16 March 2008, 09:56:53 by Albatross »

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2008, 09:50:48 »

I wonder if one could be made wiht an Opel grille as a starting point?

i would think its possible, get the saw out!

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2008, 09:58:55 »

Do you really reckon you'd need a saw? Wouldn't the chrome bits just pop/unclip/unscrew off?

Anyone out there seen an Opel grille up close? I'd be interested to see if the chrome can be removed and whether the slats can be removed temporarily whilst the outer rim is painted seperately.

« Last Edit: 16 March 2008, 09:59:53 by Albatross »

Hammers

• Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2008, 11:33:50 »

Car looks great. Could be a digitily enhanced photo. Looks sweet might have to buy a grille and a hacksaw and have a go ;D ;D ;D

Danny

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2008, 11:44:19 »

Do you really reckon you'd need a saw? Wouldn't the chrome bits just pop/unclip/unscrew off?

Anyone out there seen an Opel grille up close? I'd be interested to see if the chrome can be removed and whether the slats can be removed temporarily whilst the outer rim is painted seperately.

i meant for the vertical slats if you want it to look like the one in the pic, as for the chrome, it comes off but doesnt look tidy when missing

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2008, 12:25:49 »

i meant for the vertical slats if you want it to look like the one in the pic, as for the chrome, it comes off but doesnt look tidy when missing

Aah, I see your point there, but the Steinmetz/Irmscher grilles that have the 'criss-cross" going on, the horizontal slats are too far apart to match the lower valance grille.

I woner if there is a big old grill off another vehicle that could "donate" the slatted part (perhaps an older tranny van or something?) with better sizes between the slats that could then be inserted into the middle of my Steinmetx grille's outer panel.

Hmm, interesting; I see a "project" looming  ;)

If I have any success I'll post back to here.

N

elvin315

• Intermediate Member
  • Catskill, New York, USA
  • Catera...Cadillac's unloved stepchild.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2008, 12:43:29 »

Mattig Tuning sells the grille for 87,20 euros. The bonnet on the black car was extended to create the "eyelids" over the headlights.

click

Elvin

« Last Edit: 16 March 2008, 12:48:52 by elvin315 »
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball, If that's all there is

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2008, 12:52:49 »

Mattig Tuning sells the grille for 87,20 euros. The bonnet was extended to create the "eyelids" over the headlights.

click

Elvin

OK, so so, but one of the reasons I went for the Steinmetz grille over the Irmscher is that I don't like the lip that runs accross the top on the bonnet. The Steinmetz grille is wholly inside the space in the front of the bonnet reducing the height of the "nose" of the car a bit. I'm going to buy one of these Mattig jobbies and create a Mattig internal / Steinmetz external surround grille. I reckon that will give me what I'm after.

I take it that the car in the orginal picture has just has the Mattig grille sprayed over in black. I'll be doing that to the Mattig slats, and colour coding the steinmetz surround with my Petrol Blue bonnet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.