Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Golden Oldie....!  (Read 3884 times)

BridgeyBoy

• St Helens, Merseyside
    • Omega 3.0 Elite Estate Au
    • View Profile
Golden Oldie....!
« on: 02 August 2012, 21:53:53 »

After two disappointing encounters with facelift Omegas, Ive gone back to basics. Its a 1997 oldie but it looks and drives better than the 2001/02 Omegas Ive had previously. Its had just about everything done to it by its previous owner - full head rebuild (after timing belt snapped), new skf timing kit, aluminium rocker covers, new crank sensor, plugs, leads and dis pack, new inlet manifold, full new exhaust, new droplinks and bushes, fresh auto box oil.. the list goes on. Its on a P plate and I paid 750 for it which might sound a lot but bearing in mind the work and the lovely condition, I'm well chuffed. Drives brilliantly and pulls like a train. Just need to shift my 2001 facelift now, its currently on Ebay and if I can avoid more moronic buyers, I'l get it shifted this weekend!

Photos to follow....

albitz

Re: Golden Oldie....!
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2012, 22:05:11 »

Sounds nice,although personally I would be ditching the vectra camcovers. ;)

BridgeyBoy

• St Helens, Merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2012, 22:34:56 »

Why's that? :)

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2012, 08:17:00 »

After two disappointing encounters with facelift Omegas, Ive gone back to basics. Its a 1997 oldie but it looks and drives better than the 2001/02 Omegas Ive had previously. Its had just about everything done to it by its previous owner - full head rebuild (after timing belt snapped), new skf timing kit, aluminium rocker covers, new crank sensor, plugs, leads and dis pack, new inlet manifold, full new exhaust, new droplinks and bushes, fresh auto box oil.. the list goes on. Its on a P plate and I paid 750 for it which might sound a lot but bearing in mind the work and the lovely condition, I'm well chuffed. Drives brilliantly and pulls like a train. Just need to shift my 2001 facelift now, its currently on Ebay and if I can avoid more moronic buyers, I'l get it shifted this weekend!

Photos to follow....

:y :y

Look forward to the pictures , i think if you keep the breather's clean enough the veccy covers will be ok  :y

BridgeyBoy

• St Helens, Merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2012, 09:39:15 »

Breather were done when rebuild happened but will take your advice and will get them done next service.

Photos if anyone is interested....

http://photobucket.com/oldschoolomega

SPD

• Bulgaria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2012, 10:00:47 »

Cool! Congratulations! 8)

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2012, 10:56:16 »

Apart from the fact they look ugly and have the oil filler in the wrong place,you will need to be paranoid about making sure the engine breathers are scrupulously clean.
When the breathers get blocked with plastic covers the cam gaskets leak and this happens.

If the breathers get blocked when you have vectra covers the crank seal will let go instead,which is a major headache to fix.
People fit vectra covers thinking they will solve the problem of leaking cam gaskets. Keeping the breathers clean solves the problem of leaking cam gaskets. If you need to keep the breathers clean because you have fitted vectra covers and dont want to blow the crank seal,then theres no point having them fitted as keeping the breathers clean will prevent the plastic covers from leaking anyway. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2012, 12:13:40 »

As Albs says, in a nutshel, I'd rather change a cam cover gasket, than crank seal  ;)

Westcoast

• Estonia-Pärnu
    • 2,5 dti 110kw Fl omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2012, 12:14:28 »

aaah how hard i want leather seats!
I have been looking in my country everywhere but nothing even when i spammed at forums that i will pay up 500 euros for leather seat complect still nothing its like quite big deficit 8)

So park car near my one and i steal your seats xD
(Y) :D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2012, 12:39:57 »

For ease of viewing...

Looks like a very nice example mate.  :y

It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

jtypecav

• Intermediate Member
  • Near Bath, Somerset
    • SRe, MV6, GL Turbo!
    • View Profile
    • MK2CAV.COM
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2012, 12:45:33 »

This is really clean! Nice one!  :y

Surely it's no harm keeping the alloy covers on now they are there and simply still keeping the breathers clear?

I know they are dirty words, whilst not preferential to have vectra's are hardly notorious for leaking cam seals although filling with oil does need a funnel or can be quite messy as has been previously stated.

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2012, 12:54:33 »

Well done Twig. :y

Yes, that car looks very well indeed. 8) :y

BridgeyBoy

• St Helens, Merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 August 2012, 13:32:57 »

As I said, this is my third attempt at getting an Omega that actually ran for more than a few weeks so fingers crossed. You might remember I told the tale about my wife giving the buyer of one of my Omegas the wrong key .....http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=99802.msg1249878#msg1249878 so hopefully I'm due a change in fortune with this one.... famous last words!!!

I have to say Im really impressed with the 3.0. (others were 2.5) Once it gets moving its fantastic.. reminds me of driving my old Volvo 850 T5 - but the Omega lump is so much smoooooother.

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2012, 15:35:21 »

That has to be a keeper mate , its the cleanest one ive seen of that year . Nice  :y

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2012, 16:44:12 »

Very tidy for a P reg. nice one. :y :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.