Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheared Bolts  (Read 6240 times)

omega3000

Re: Sheared Bolts
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2014, 14:25:50 »

Would they not pop rivet on  :-\

Yes, but then you have to drill the rivet out and renew it every time you have to remove the panel.

::) ;D

Shill have to look at buying a new toy then , could come in handy for some other jobs too  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2014, 14:39:30 »

Have Webby get it, then he can fit them for you whilst trying his new toy... :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2014, 14:44:40 »

Have I got it wrong or wont the compressed nut protrude above the inside  floor level.

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2014, 14:49:06 »

Have I got it wrong or wont the compressed nut protrude above the inside  floor level.

Would have to be a shallow one so as not to pokey through the carpet  :-\

Have Webby get it, then he can fit them for you whilst trying his new toy... :y

I want a new toy  >:( ;D Are you buying a new toy webby  ???

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2014, 14:58:35 »

Indeed it will, but there's nearly an inch of insulation between the floor and carpet...

There is wiring across both front footwells about inline with the front of the centre air vents

Rest of the floor is pretty clear :y

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2014, 15:03:08 »

Mite take the carpets out to make sure its sealed from the top . I remember mr al saying its a 5 minute job to take the carpets out anyway  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2014, 15:13:20 »

Indeed it will, but there's nearly an inch of insulation between the floor and carpet...

There is wiring across both front footwells about inline with the front of the centre air vents

Rest of the floor is pretty clear :y

Useful to know... if I go down the straightforward nut n bolt idea of mine, this will affect things...  :)

Also assumed the carpets coming out was a bit of a faff/pig of a job, so thanks    :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2014, 16:05:48 »

My policy is to remove them as carefully and gently as possible - spray with Plusgas first, then applying gentle force with a full 10mm hexagon, turning a bit anticlockwise, spray with more Plusgas, a bit clockwise, then anticlockwise again. This will save some of them. The ones that break off I drill a hole nearby and use stainless steel self tappers. In some cases the heatshields are rusty and the old holes useless anyway.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2014, 16:31:04 »

Yup, I managed to save two that way, going as carefully as possible, but still lost one last night. Personally I'm thinking if I'm going to do a 'mod' with rivnuts or whatever, I might as well just rip the things off, let them shear, then do the mod. Whatever I do, it'll be in stainless steel!!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2014, 19:13:37 »

Almost half the bolts have shered off trying to get heat sheilds off  :-[
No way of getting them out so what is the preferred method of re securing  :-\

today we had the same luck Emd.. when changing the rear shocks for clit one of them sheared ..

result : 3 hours of drilling and swearing ;D

but drilling must be correcty centered.. and continue wth increasing numbers.. stop frequently and cool the drilling bit and drill slowly..  and tapping  in between also helps

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 01 October 2014, 19:57:05 »

If the heat shields have holed slightly i gather that using a washer to bridge the hole is acceptable ?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 October 2014, 20:10:47 »

If the heat shields have holed slightly i gather that using a washer to bridge the hole is acceptable ?

Yes.

I'll second Kevin's recommendation for the Memfast rivnut tool; it's excellent. as for the rivnuts themselves, any local industrial fastener  supplier will have them over the counter for pennies each. A hundred M6 will sort out most car jobs.

omega3000

« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2014, 11:07:34 »

Re - the Silverline rivet insert tool , there is a quote on the page from someone who has bought one :

It is VERY important that the holes drilled for the rivets, are well cleaned up after drilling and have no burrs front or back. Make sure your holes are a very close fit before you start and, before inserting, put a dab of Loctite on the rivet and under the head.

Only way to do this heat shield job then would be to remove the carpets and clean the burrs up  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2014, 11:09:41 »

And ???

omega3000

« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2014, 11:13:31 »

And ???

Just saying  :P So folk can see how to do it proper like ... is there a guide on how to remove carpets  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.