Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering a return  (Read 3488 times)

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
Considering a return
« on: 19 July 2016, 12:13:15 »

Considering coming back to an omega. Had to sell mine when the need for a 7 seater reared its head again. So the omega got sold and replaced with a galaxy. Talk of what's coming after the galaxy came up (it's still going and not expecting replacement in the immediate future) but an option came up as an idea. An omega with 7 or more seats. And my mate came across.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191895503368

Yes I'm mental enough to think it's a great idea. Ok tight spots might be an issue, and I can kiss goodbye to multi storey car parks, but this genuinely peaks my interest. I'm an hgv driver so no concerns handling it. I spend every day driving something 3x the size. Already sussed where it can be parked at home, and at work i Park my car where my wagon is parked anyway.

My only issue with this is I hate automatics with a passion. (No offence, I know a lot of you drive automatics) but they're not for me.

Does anyone know if they built these with manual boxes? Or would my hunt be in vein? Or, how hard would it be to swap the auto box for a manual?

STEMO

Re: Considering a return
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2016, 12:37:29 »

2.5 litre diesel, 69000 miles, hardly run in.

Except it's probably done those miles at 10mph.  :-\
And, if you really like it, just put up with the auto box or you'll end up spending more than it cost to change the box and all the grief that goes with it.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2016, 12:39:30 by STEMO »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2016, 13:31:06 »

That reminds me. Must update my will. No tractors for my last journey, please! ;)

It's not going to be that spritely being hauled around by a TD with an auto box.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2016, 13:52:21 »

That reminds me. Must update my will. No tractors for my last journey, please! ;)

It's not going to be that spritely being hauled around by a TD with an auto box.

Manual conversion and a little bit of EEPROM trickery....

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2016, 14:03:00 »

If you are seriously thinking about getting it, I would consider a Manual Conversion, in standard form on the 2.5TD's the Autobox killed the MPG over a Manual, so a 7 Seater Auto fully loaded with bodies (sorry people) is going to be ridiculously poor MPG and will just add another minus point to your love of Auto's.

The BMW 2.5TD's can be easerly Chipped for around 75 notes (ask on here) to get back up to BMW power and beyond, as they were detuned for the Omega ready fit, so the extra BHP and Torque you get could compensate for the extra weight, but in my book would need to be Manual. 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2016, 14:15:18 »

Not to mention that the AR25 auto box wasn't that long-lived in many standard TDs. Add a load of extra weight and it will only get worse.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2016, 14:30:18 »

Pretty sure I spotted an LPG limo last week on the bay or AT, can't look too hard as I'm supposed to be saving lives in work  :D
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2016, 14:32:23 »

Most funeral cars are very well maintained and normally given a "spirited" drive when serviced :-X

I doubt you will find a manual one as auto is much smoother when driving slowly. As said, a conversion is possible  :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2016, 14:39:26 »

Well worth the box swap... I know that AR25s aren't worth thruppence ha'hapenny, but surely for such a low mileage example someone would be willing to buy the old box off you, just help offset the cost of a Manual?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2016, 14:53:09 »

Oh well...just me then. ;D

firemoth

• Preston, Lancashire
    • Vauxhall omega 2.2dti est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2016, 15:21:21 »

The fact it's the BMW engine is a huge plus to me. I had the dti in mine and it was no end of problems. And 2 extra cylinders is always nice.

I've seen a few is these pop up. If I wag going to do a conversion, is probably get one that's had a harder life, then get it cheaper to account for the cost. Does anyone know what's involved? Is it as simple as drop the auto box out, remove the selector lever and gibbons, then fit a manual box straight to the engine? Would the gear cables just slot into place as if I was just replacing cables?

I had a quick search for anyone doing the conversion (on standard car) but didn't spot anything. Anyone aware of anyone doing it?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 July 2016, 15:49:42 »

Oh well...just me then. ;D
Yep, ......    as per normal.  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 July 2016, 18:32:02 »

I know some on here have done the conversion,does the prop need changing[different lengths maybe?]if so would the op have problems there with a limo which I'd imagine to be longer wheelbase?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2016, 18:36:38 »

Another thing to consider-if it'd be of use and if one could be found is an Omega 7 seater estate.I saw one of these at Billing a few years ago,it was an official Vx option I was told,with the rearmost seats directly behind the ordinary rear seat so the occupants faced backwards.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.