Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie looking for an Omega  (Read 6566 times)

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
Newbie looking for an Omega
« on: 26 February 2020, 14:55:39 »

Hi everyone

I have joined as I am looking to buy a Vauxhall Omega, it will be a "spare" car and will help keep the miles down on my main car.  The truth is that me and my beloved Grandad always talked of these cars as we loved them, but he never got to get one through illness. Since he died, I have really struggled with it and so I decided to make it happen for both of us and buy one that I can treasure and use and look after.

There aren't many for sale so if anyone has one on here they are selling please let me know!

I am chasing one down at the moment though, a 2.5 V6, so hopefully I will bag it.

I am hoping that over time, I can give back more than I will initially take in advice and help!

David
« Last Edit: 26 February 2020, 14:57:12 by dave.h »
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie looking for an Omega
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2020, 15:27:19 »

Hello and welcome to OOF.I hope you find the car you're looking for :y :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2020, 16:19:08 »

Hello :y
Laying a rubber road.

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2020, 19:45:39 »

Welcome!!! :y
Powered by C30NE

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2020, 14:32:20 »

Hola! Welcome to the forum :y

Go armed with what to look for. The maintenance guides plus one or two threads on buying will help. The V6s get blocked breathers which cause oil leak problems for the top of the engine. Cambelts need changing regularly and even DIY ( plenty of info on here) are several hundred pounds. A useful bargaining chip if no history.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2020, 23:43:06 »

Thanks all.

Well, I bagged myself a 2000 2.5V6 Auto CD and it's very clean except for a single bit of tinworm around the rear N/S Pillar under the plastic trim between back door and rear window, so I will get that done professionally. It went through an MOT in late January and only 1 advisory which was a tyre, it's remarkably solid underneath, I think maybe it was treated by the previous and only owner.  I didn't realise until too late that it doesn't have cruise, so can that be retrofitted?

Picked it up Saturday, chewed up the 300  mile trip home.

Yesterday, my phone goes ping and I open it to find that I had bid on one 12 days ago in an e-bay auction and I'd gone and won it - I had completely forgotten about it!

I will take possession of it as I can't mess the poor lad about, its a 02 2.2 Auto in silver.

Cambelt kit ordered for the V6 from Euro Carparts (Contitech) and it only cost £120 with their sale code instead of £232 ish!  I will change the Aux belt too and tensioner. Maybe the water pump though the timing belt doesn't drive it, I have no desire to take all the covers off again!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2020, 08:10:55 »

Glad you got the car you wanted and good for you for following through on the E-bay purchase too :y

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2020, 17:39:57 »

Well, I collected the 02 version I bought by mistake. Rough doesn't begin to describe it - I wish I'd let him down and told him to go to second chance offer!

I think I will use it as a donor car as I don't like the leather seats in the one I am keeping so I will swap the cloth ones into it from the 02 plate as they are both electric and heated.

May also swap some switches like the headlamps/fogs etc as they are better than the melted looking ones in the first car.

Once I have done that I will stick it back onto e-bay as spares/repair or just scrap the thing.

In terms of the 2000 model I am keeping (V6) can I retrofit cruise control?

Cheers

David

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2020, 13:02:03 »

You should be able to retrofit cruise control easily enough but will need to source some parts.
Don't attempt to chnge the cambelt & rollers without first getting hold of the proper locking / setting kit. You will be in a world of pain if you do. OOF shop DVD is also invaluable if you haven't done the job before.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2020, 15:29:24 »

You should be able to retrofit cruise control easily enough but will need to source some parts.
Don't attempt to chnge the cambelt & rollers without first getting hold of the proper locking / setting kit. You will be in a world of pain if you do. OOF shop DVD is also invaluable if you haven't done the job before.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=146450.0

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2020, 21:26:07 »

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=146450.0

Thanks for that - I have now bought the timing setting kit and will buy the DVD before I do anything - I have enough pain already I don't need more by making a Horlicks of the timing belt!

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2020, 23:11:10 »

Hello and welcome to the to the forum :y. Good luck with your new car  :y

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2020, 14:25:24 »

I was hoping that the accidental ebay purchase would have been a minter, but life's not like that I suppose. I'm looking for a cheap largely rust free base model (no-sunroof) to put the running gear from a rusty old 3.2 into.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2020, 20:01:35 »

Hi, welcome to the forum.  :y
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.