Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failing Electric ‘toys’ Advice please  (Read 2093 times)

Malcolm_D

• Intermediate Member
  • York
  • It shines!
    • View Profile
Failing Electric ‘toys’ Advice please
« on: 06 May 2021, 20:37:01 »

02 plate 2.6 Elite - body is good, looks really nice, engine is great, lovely to drive, but I don’t know what to do about the failing interior electric ‘toys’.

The driver’s heated seat stopped working years ago - I can live without it.

The CD unit has packed in, CD cartridge is stuck inside, the single slot will not read a CD. The radio still works and I have wired in a 3mm jack to connect a phone / mp3 device. Not the end of the world if you believe that CDs are becoming obsolete?

The real pain is that I have now lost the colour display screen in the dash!  :'( No clock, no consumption date, no radio channel data etc. I currently have a Tomtom covering the screen so at least I have a clock!

Any achievable suggestions to resolve these issues? What would you do? :-\

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Re: Failing Electric ‘toys’ Advice please
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2021, 08:46:44 »

Check wiring to display. I think the ribbon cable causes problemsThe radio I would remove, open it and remove the cd cartridge. But most people remove the original radio, for a new double din style. I think there are kits available that allow you to still use the steering wheel, controls?
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2021, 10:36:45 »

If you swap the head unit out for something aftermarket you won't be able to control the screen even if it was still working.

Your best option is probably to get a screen (and instrument stalk) from a lesser/non NCDC car. That will give you a working clock and all the warning messages (once you sort out the wiring) and leave you free to fit a double din headunit of your choice.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2021, 13:52:00 »

Check wiring to display. I think the ribbon cable causes problemsThe radio I would remove, open it and remove the cd cartridge. But most people remove the original radio, for a new double din style. I think there are kits available that allow you to still use the steering wheel, controls?

It's an Elite so will have Bose, this means swapping out the headunit will be a little more involved.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2021, 10:26:36 »

It's an Elite so will have Bose, this means swapping out the headunit will be a little more involved.
I swapped out the Bose headunit on my Elite. There is a multipin connector in the drivers footwell that connects to a fat bundle of cables that go to the Bose amplifier in the boot. I got hold of a scrap loom & plug and linked the appropriate pins so I could remove the Bose gubbins.

Malcolm_D

• Intermediate Member
  • York
  • It shines!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2021, 10:52:16 »

Thanks for all of the advice guys but this is all beyond my skill set. I will tackle most practical jobs in the house and on cars but not this!
What I need is a local, trustworthy, ICE expert, with lots of relevant experience, who can quote me a reasonable price to sort it!  :o
In the meantime I will busy myself with changing the timing belt and tackling those other jobs that I can do - rear discs on the Sorento and front discs on my lad’s C Max to start with.  :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2021, 11:48:44 »

I swapped out the Bose headunit on my Elite. There is a multipin connector in the drivers footwell that connects to a fat bundle of cables that go to the Bose amplifier in the boot. I got hold of a scrap loom & plug and linked the appropriate pins so I could remove the Bose gubbins.

Yep, you can get the 'looped' connector out of some non-Bose cars or as you say, loop the connectors on the existing one to achieve the same - it's the neatest way to wire out the amp, then it's just a case of swapping out the speakers for 4ohm ones.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2021, 12:19:42 »

The alternative is to tap into the audio line between the cd changer and head unit and then fit a suitable modern single din unit in the glovebox to give you BT and DAB :y this works to good effect from personal experience.

A working screen would be nice... the half screen display that was standard (CID was an option) on the Elite should over come that particular issue.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2021, 04:57:42 »

The alternative is to tap into the audio line between the cd changer and head unit and then fit a suitable modern single din unit in the glovebox to give you BT and DAB :y this works to good effect from personal experience.

A working screen would be nice... the half screen display that was standard (CID was an option) on the Elite should over come that particular issue.
A new GID screen would need to be paired with the NCDC.

A working NCDC and paired GID from another 2.6 would be a straight swap and fix all the issues in one hit.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2021, 21:48:04 »

Just picking this back up again off the back of the Wanted advert.

If the screen is black then this can be caused by the RGB cable not being seated properly in the back of the CID.

When the radio is on do you here a regular beep?

If the screen problem can be sorted then the failing NAV and Autochanger can be repaired by swapping them out or a complete working NCDC can be used by swapping over one of the circuit boards to retain the pairing code - This is something that could potentially be done at a Forum meet if one gets arranged this year.

Malcolm_D

• Intermediate Member
  • York
  • It shines!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2021, 23:32:38 »

The screen is either plain white or has lots of grey vertical lines. I have checked the seating of the ribbon cable and it looks ok.

No beeping noise from the radio.

:y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2021, 10:11:43 »

The screen is either plain white or has lots of grey vertical lines. I have checked the seating of the ribbon cable and it looks ok.

No beeping noise from the radio.

:y

The panel has failed then. A sharp tap on the dashboard can bring it back for a short time occasionally . No beeping would indicate that the screen and headunit are still paired

Malcolm_D

• Intermediate Member
  • York
  • It shines!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2021, 10:17:19 »

When it first started to misbehave a sharp tap did indeed help, gone way past that stage now  :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.