Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Car advice please  (Read 2557 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Small Car advice please
« Reply #15 on: 05 February 2010, 11:08:08 »

Given the budget....an Astra G.

Instead of a Corsa?

They're really after a small car... After a quick look on Auto Trader last night I saw a few Agila's come up very cheap.... Anyone know what they're really like?

Yes, the disabled bit was what made me sudgest it as Corsa's, Ka's, Fiestas, Polos and the like are harder to get in and out of.

I would never persoanl have an Almera....they are just such a bloody awful drive

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 February 2010, 11:15:04 »

Instead of a Corsa?

They're really after a small car... After a quick look on Auto Trader last night I saw a few Agila's come up very cheap.... Anyone know what they're really like?

Yes, the disabled bit was what made me sudgest it as Corsa's, Ka's, Fiestas, Polos and the like are harder to get in and out of.

I would never persoanl have an Almera....they are just such a bloody awful drive

It's going to be a second car... They have a new Megane as a motability car but she isn't insured to drive without him in the car, which is causing issues at the moment because she's making regular trips to hospital to visit her sick mum and he doesn't want to go ::) :y

He'll rarely get in and out of it anyway but is able to move/walk reasonably well (most days) with the aid of sticks :y :y

They have looked at a couple of Corsas but was saying it was a W Reg and the garage want £2k, with only 3 months warranty... Sounds like they're pulling a fast one to me :( :(

I have said I'll try and get down there if they find something and bully the dealer for a better deal ::) :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2010, 00:40:24 »

Instead of a Corsa?

It's going to be a second car... They have a new Megane as a motability car but she isn't insured to drive without him in the car, which is causing issues at the moment because she's making regular trips to hospital to visit her sick mum and he doesn't want to go ::) :y

He'll rarely get in and out of it anyway but is able to move/walk reasonably well (most days) with the aid of sticks :y :y

They have looked at a couple of Corsas but was saying it was a W Reg and the garage want £2k, with only 3 months warranty... Sounds like they're pulling a fast one to me :( :(

I have said I'll try and get down there if they find something and bully the dealer for a better deal ::) :y

That's not exactly true........... ;) ;) Though there is  abuse by non disabled drivers, however there are a lot of misunderstandings and hence false allegations of abuse....... :D :D
« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 00:44:06 by floodm »

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 February 2010, 00:54:27 »

Instead of a Corsa?

That's not exactly true........... ;) ;) Though there is  abuse by non disabled drivers, however there are a lot of misunderstandings and hence false allegations of abuse....... :D :D

I did think it strange... May suggest he checks this before chucking £2k (which they could do without spending) at a car they don't really need ;) ;) :y :y

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 February 2010, 01:19:48 »

hi paul .my cousin often picks up some nice used cars with very low milage .he had an 04  plate peugeot 106 for £1900 it had only done 32k .you will have to let me no if they still want a cheapie reliable runabout and i will see what comes up ?ok love to emma :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 February 2010, 01:30:03 »

hi paul .my cousin often picks up some nice used cars with very low milage .he had an 04  plate peugeot 106 for £1900 it had only done 32k .you will have to let me no if they still want a cheapie reliable runabout and i will see what comes up ?ok love to emma :y

At present they are still looking... H21 is digging up some details of the Ka for me, but open to other suggestions :y :y

acura

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2010, 08:34:06 »

Nissan Micra, a late version of the bubble shaped one, not the latest frogeye.

Dead reliable, drives well, big doors for easy access, doddle to maintain, timing chain not belt. My wife had one for years and not a spot of bother. 1.3 better but 1.0 quite lively.
Less than £2K should get a very good one.

Personally I would avoid anything French if you want reliability, just my opinion from experience.
From Consul 375 to Omega, 30 cars and counting.....

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2010, 09:36:19 »

You'll laugh but take a look at a 2000-2004 pre-facelift Perodua Kelisa GXi (not 2004- or EXi or EZi)

in 2009, we bought a minter 2004 car with 9,000 miles for £1700, ran it faultlessly at 55+mpg to 17,000 miles and sold it back to a dealer for £1840.  Only had oil change and 2 tyres, so free motoring.  £90pa road tax, group 2 insurance.

They are super reliable and are Daihatsu Cuore 5 doors built omn a Toyota production line in Malaysia from Japanese Daihatsu parts.  The car is a proven 989cc 3 cylinder 12v twin cam Toyota unit with 5 speed box, electric windows, remote locking, power steering etc.  Pre-facelift are better quality and better looking than the later late 2004- versions which have ugly fronts and slimy seat trim.

In 87 cars Ihave owned, I have had 5 Peroduas, all 100% reliable and the 3 Kelisas I have owned (including a heavily abused ex-hire 90k miler) have been absolutely spot on.

I cannot recommend them highly enough, but would point out they are not ABS equipped and are not to latest crash ratings.  If you are interested in on of these, PM me and I will tell you what to look for.

See:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.verdictoncars.com/cars/300/perodua/kelisa.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.verdictoncars.com/jsp/vocmain.jsp%3Fdescription%3DPerodua%2520Kelisa%26lnk%3D201%26model%3D848&usg=__xLuDQucd_-TPe1S6W2SLc0ICXAo=&h=200&w=300&sz=15&hl=en&start=14&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=g5GtFcVzwAYq8M:&tbnh=77&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dperodua%2Bkelisa%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1  but ignore their stupid comments!

On this page you will see green pre-f and silver facelift-note the differences!  Go and drive one and be amazed at the directness and accuracy of the drive.

James May and Richard Hammond both rated the Kelisa very highly on their road test as being entertaining and well built.

Well worth a look at around £2000  :y :y
« Last Edit: 06 February 2010, 09:37:22 by geoffharvey »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2010, 16:00:10 »

Agree with Mark, Astra G's are great, never thought of them actually  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2010, 16:01:37 »

At present they are still looking... H21 is digging up some details of the Ka for me, but open to other suggestions :y :y

PM sent today....  :y

sparten

• ffoss-y-ffin,near aberaeron
  • usually,fixing his miggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 February 2010, 23:30:54 »

were all missing a good car from this list the fiat punto easy to get into cheap to run,insure and maintaine

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 February 2010, 23:48:18 »

Well... It looks like she's decided she wants a Peugeot 106... Not my choice of "best car" but it's what she/they want. Should be able to get them some change too ;) ;)

djac

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2001/Y Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 February 2010, 11:28:44 »

My previous car was an X reg Astra 1.7DTi estate. The only reason I moved to the Omega was because I (or my family) needed the extra seating space.

I really miss the Astra when I'm at the petrol pump with the Omega!  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2010, 11:46:52 »

My previous car was an X reg Astra 1.7DTi estate. The only reason I moved to the Omega was because I (or my family) needed the extra seating space.

I really miss the Astra when I'm at the petrol pump with the Omega!  :(

Driven a 1.6 16v Astra G, nippy little thing, but the seats in it are awful!

Only drove it for 20 mins and had back ache, no matter how much fiddling i did with the settings, still awful, rock hard as well, no give in them.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.