Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression test  (Read 296 times)

Abiton

Compression test
« on: 11 September 2008, 20:29:53 »

I'm not finding a "How To" thread on this subject so I'm going to ask the dumb questions in the hope that it will inspire an experienced 'hand' to write one.

Haynes suggests removal of dispack LT connector and fuel pump relay. On here I've read that unplugging crank sensor will have the same effect.  Any reason to do the Haynes method?  I think I know which the fuel pump relay is, but if the end result is the same, I'll just unplug the crank sensor.  :)

I know that the throttle needs to be wide open while cranking, and the engine at operating temperature.  Anything else to consider?

Just how hard is too hard for a radiator top hose?  :D
(May be tricky to convey via t'interweb!)

Apologies to those for whom this seems trivial.  :-[

Cheers,

Pete

(If I'd known how appropriate "A bit on" was going to be I'd have picked another username...  ;D)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2008, 20:30:47 by Abiton »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Compression test
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2008, 21:24:38 »

You're looking to disable the spark and fuel injection, so crank sensor disconnection should achieve the same.

As you say, crank with WOT. In addition to the peak reading for each cylinder, try to crank it with a view of the gauge and make a mental note of how many compression strokes it takes to reach its' peak value.

Hoses will get firm once fully up to temperature. The valve in the header tank cap will relieve pressure if it gets too high, so if this sisn't happening I'd say all is well.

What are the symptoms? Do you suspect a problem or just wanting to check it?

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Abiton

« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2008, 21:36:47 »

Paranoia, mainly (?).

4-pot, 153K on the odometer, no history/info about level of servicing prior to our ownership,.  Heater matrix recently popped.  Top hose that only squeezes in a few millimetres under moderate pressure...

No mayo anywhere, and only minor coolant loss explicable via 'weep' at top of radiator where the plastic turns 90 degrees from hose attachment.

I've got the (cheap) gauge, so I may as well try it.  If there is a water-jacket to cylinder leak, it should be apparent, no?  :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2008, 21:46:42 »

If the engine is still running happily I'd say a compression test is unlikely to be conclusive. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2008, 01:32:42 »

If the engine is still running happily I'd say a compression test is unlikely to be conclusive. :-/

Kevin

Agreed... I think you're correct in your paranoia!!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.