Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Lights  (Read 2001 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Street Lights
« on: 28 April 2015, 10:56:10 »

The council have recently started switching off the street lights here at 1.00am in an effort to save money I assume.  :-\  I've got used to it now but I admit that it was a little unsettling at first.  ::)  Although on a clear night the stars are much more visable!  :y

Anyone else have this on their street?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Street Lights
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2015, 10:58:08 »

Don't have any street lights in the first place. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2015, 11:07:08 »

Replaced ours from the soft orange glow to bright, harsh white ones. This is in a bid to reduce the crime rate, apparently. Lots of large, definite black shadows to hide in, as opposed to everything being bathed in a soft warm orange glow. And it cost a fortune, no doubt. Am I an old man, yet?  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Delroy47

• Intermediate Member
  • Luton
    • 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2015, 12:04:30 »

Council replaced ours with LED ones at least they light up my car park now  :y

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2015, 12:38:22 »

They're doing it a lot around here, I went to a RTC a while ago a pretty serious one too. It happened about 23:30 hours, we rock up to see carnage everywhere. I just start to deal with it when all of a sudden guess what mid-night...................??? All the street lights go out!!!  >:( >:( >:( Now not only panic for the people involved in it, we can't see what we're doing or how to get the trapped persons out! A call to the council and 90 mins later some jobsworth turns up, oh I don't know about turning them on, it'll need an electrician  :o :o

Sure people don't think things through.....& don't get me started on so called 'Smart Motorways'

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2015, 12:45:49 »

From an asthetic point, I like the white street lights. The yellow ones are hideous.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2015, 18:12:24 »

Still orange and on all night on our street.Although I did see something on telly other morning that apparently New York are dimming theirs to be kind to the birds[feathered kind before anyone thinks different!]

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2015, 18:28:51 »

Council replaced ours with Candles  :D :D :D :D

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2015, 18:44:44 »

Yup here too after wasting spending a shed load of money changing them to the low energy LED lamps  >:(

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2015, 18:45:41 »

They're doing it a lot around here, I went to a RTC a while ago a pretty serious one too. It happened about 23:30 hours, we rock up to see carnage everywhere. I just start to deal with it when all of a sudden guess what mid-night...................??? All the street lights go out!!!  >:( >:( >:( Now not only panic for the people involved in it, we can't see what we're doing or how to get the trapped persons out! A call to the council and 90 mins later some jobsworth turns up, oh I don't know about turning them on, it'll need an electrician  :o :o

Sure people don't think things through.....& don't get me started on so called 'Smart Motorways'

Whats one of those then.  :-[

The Sheriff

« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2015, 18:51:48 »

We can't afford a council. We just have a man that 'does'.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2015, 19:18:46 »

They ripped all ours out a couple of years ago and replaced them in different places with the white lights.  ::)

It must have cost millions as they did the whole town and the thing is they don't light the place up as well as the old ones did!  >:( 

When they're on that is.....   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2015, 19:21:33 »

Been going on for years in other parts of the country. How come the carrot boys are working via satellite ? Keep up at the back.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2015, 19:25:33 »

Whats one of those then.  :-[

Oh they are coming to a motorway near you soon enough  >:( >:( >:(

They put new gantrys up with new LED powered signals that vary the speed limit when traffic is heavy i.e, reducing it to 50mph (AND having speed cameras to enforce said limit on the new gantry). They can also open the hard shoulder to 'ease congestion'  ::) ::) ::) Only they ain't thought about what happens if there's an almighty smash whilst 3 lanes & hard shoulder are in use!!! How are we supposed to get to it when the emergency lane is being used as a running lane???

Oh and as a bonus ! when traffic is light and there is no use for any of the gadgetery, the cameras are set at 70mph and will get you if you go above!!!  :o :o :o

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2015, 19:32:43 »

An interesting dual standard here; they spend no end of money on Gatsos, Specs, Average Speed recorders and police man-hours on speed monitoring equipment (or "traps" as some know them) in the interests of "safety", and yet cannot afford to fund something as basic to safety as being able to see where you are going!

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.