Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mpg from a 2.5td?  (Read 3403 times)

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
Re: Mpg from a 2.5td?
« Reply #15 on: 22 December 2006, 16:57:25 »

I should add - mine's an Auto
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 December 2006, 20:36:00 »

I've had mine around 6 months and get around 29/30mpg around town.  I get a fairly solid 40mpg on the motorway (where I do most my miles - 90 miles a day, at least).  If I'm particularly delicate with the throttle then it'll creep above 40, but not too much.

Matt S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 December 2006, 23:22:20 »

Lots to consider really, the main reason for getting one is the 60 mile round trip i do to uni 3 days a week and the 40 mile roundtrip i do the other 4 days to go to work, most of it is motorway around 250miles, ive got a budget of 1200 for the car and then I could stretch to another 600-800 in january to spend on it what do you guys think i should and could get with that kinda money ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 December 2006, 12:20:51 »

if you can reach 2k then, either the 2.5 TD Omega in Manual form... as you will get much better mpg. You can also chip it, Omegatoy can get you one at a very reasonable price.

He got 30mpg with a fully laiden car and caravan!! i suspect a chipped manual TD can get 45mpg + fairly easily. An old user here called McBurger registered 47mpg on the fuel comp once with his 2.5 TD.

You other option is to go LPG, which uni are you at?? I am at Brunel and I living in Brackley, there is an LPG station here and there are several around my uni so if I had a V6 i would be tempted.

You could get yourself a nice 3.0 V6, and then get it LPG'd. The big V6's can do mid 30's on the motorway, little less running on gas, so 50mpg from a 3.0V6 is easily done  ;D

Since your doing motorway miles, the Omega is the best way to go. Thats why I got mine, so smooth and comfy blew my old Mondeo into the weeds in terms of comfort. It still has to be beaten, i have no driven another car yet where i feel as comfy as in the Omega  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 December 2006, 13:59:50 »

The big V6's can do mid 30's on the motorway, little less running on gas, so 50mpg from a 3.0V6 is easily done  ;D   ......
Don't be fooled by all the eBay claims of 37 mpg etc etc from a V6
"mid 30's" from my 3.0 is more like a gallon & a half. My journey to work of 20 miles is on A & B roads with a very short run on the motorway. My trip is on 23. When I worked 30 miles away it was virtually all motorway and travelling at around 80mph I was getting anout 26/7mpg. Don't buy a V6 for any kind of economy.

spiketheskinnydog

• Mid Glamorgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2006, 17:43:50 »

If I drive as  if I'm a coffin-dodger I get about 36 to a gallon on a run in my manual 2.5v6, and mid 20s around town - and bear in mind that I live in a nice hilly area!  When pulling a caravan you can expect about 25 to a gallon realistically, but then you're not gonna be wanting to do that often so who cares??? - My excuse was that I was travelloing to Silverstone, by the way!

You should also take into account the price of the thing in the first place too - good petrol omegas are always a lot cheeper than the rattiest diesels. It can take quite some time before you see a saving overall. Oh, and they smell a bit too - don't believe all that guff about modern diesels being as good as petrols, they're not, by a long way. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking with it!

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 December 2006, 15:10:23 »

2.5TD Elite('94) Auto, with 215k on the clock. The worst fuel consumption I've seen was an average of 26mpg. That was after a week of "nose to tail" city driving over christmas week.

There is a product called "TUNIT", which took 15mins fit and half an hour of trial and error with the "little brass screw" (which is the only adjustment req'd).  This increases the power by 30BHP (approx).

If you find a web site (search under TUNIT DIESEL TUNING), one of the FAQ's is "Will it improve fuel consumption ? The answer they give is "Once you've stopped showing off the power increase to your mates you should get 10% overall.

The only down side is my car is an automatic and 3rd gear was a little worn. The power increase was too much for it and...I now have a new autobox !!
Basically, hitting the "Loud" pedal at 40mph on a damp road and the wheels just spin. Cost at the time was about £220, but that was about 3 years ago.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.