Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: i am about to experience the joys of omegas .. eml  (Read 2568 times)

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
i am about to experience the joys of omegas .. eml
« on: 28 December 2006, 09:42:51 »

just got maggie, as you know and will be doing a paperclip test shortly, just wondering though any one come across an eml that flashes quite often comes on for between 1+10 secs, doesnt matter if doing 90 or 30 accellerating/braking, straight line/cornering, bumpy/smooth road?

have toed it when light on and DEFINATLY not in limp mode :o (as the i own the road and am overtaking everyone 325 found out  as i pulled out on him and dissappeared into the distance lol)

will check as many connections as i can but any ideas as it's cold and dont wanna have bonnet up longer than needed
read vx omega handbook ( sad i know )and it says that eml coming on and going off again is of no significance????

Cheers in advance
Mick
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: i am about to experience the joys of omegas ..
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2006, 10:23:49 »

It shouldn't come on that often, this is not normal IMO, may not be a serious problem but check the codes...

What year/model etc?

Alas, no more Omegas....

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2006, 10:32:46 »

its a 95 elite
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2006, 10:33:28 »

As MJ says, what year and model? If facelift, can you describe the light - there are 2, one relating to engine and one relating to emissions.

Is the EML actually flashing as if it is intended to flash (as opposed to flickering)? - This is the engine ECU not receiving immobiliser signal.

Of course, booting it around like you do, sure it ain't the traction control light ;)
Grumpy old man

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2006, 10:40:30 »

eh? me boot it, no i only did it once to show bmw up as coincidently the eml was on  ;D, and the only other time i booted it yet was to test sports mode when i got her, i intend to treat this car with respect ::) it isnt flickering or flashing, it comes on  and goes off..
thanks in advance
mick
P.s no i know it aint traction light as stated it does it at any speed under any condition.... in fact whenever she wants to?? :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2006, 10:45:14 »

eh? me boot it, no i only did it once to show bmw up as coincidently the eml was on  ;D, and the only other time i booted it yet was to test sports mode when i got her, i intend to treat this car with respect ::) it isnt flickering or flashing, it comes on  and goes off..
thanks in advance
mick
P.s no i know it aint traction light as stated it does it at any speed under any condition.... in fact whenever she wants to?? :(
I was just kidding about the TC light ;)

On a 95 model, one one EML, so just paperclip it and report back.  Do this sooner rather than later - it may be onset of a failing sensor that may let you down big time soon.

As yours is a v6, do paperclip test with engine running so you don't get a false 31.
Grumpy old man

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2006, 10:47:30 »

thanks for speedy reply gonna do test now, tina has already cursed it by reminding me of her cr**k sensor going ..... but i am forbidden to say the word( long story but took 3 days to source and get right tools and 20 mins do the job lol)
Mick

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 December 2006, 10:49:23 »

thanks for speedy reply gonna do test now, tina has already cursed it by reminding me of her cr**k sensor going ..... but i am forbidden to say the word( long story but took 3 days to source and get right tools and 20 mins do the job lol)
Mick
I am thinking crank sensor myself. Hence why I said do test straight away (with engine running), and if 19 or 31 come up, down to the dealer you go...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2006, 10:50:18 »

Mick
I am thinking crank sensor myself. Hence why I said do test straight away (with engine running), and if 19 or 31 come up, down to the dealer you go...
And as Tina will probably remind you, crank sensor is probably the one sensor on the car (on a v6) that doesn't have a limp mode, and that means you break down :(
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2006, 10:51:43 »

Mine did this for a while before knock sensor failed (well, knock sensor lead anyway)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2006, 10:53:58 »

Mine did this for a while before knock sensor failed (well, knock sensor lead anyway)
If it was knock sensor, it would be on reduced power (ignition would be retarded as engine won't be able to detect if that bank was advanced too far and knocking...)
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2006, 10:56:21 »

If it was knock sensor, it would be on reduced power (ignition would be retarded as engine won't be able to detect if that bank was advanced too far and knocking...)

Mine didnt lose any power until the EML came on and stayed on, while it was intermittent it was fine. But, then again, might not be knock sensor.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2006, 10:58:42 »

Mine didnt lose any power until the EML came on and stayed on, while it was intermittent it was fine. But, then again, might not be knock sensor.
Odd, as once the EML is on due to a faulty knock sensor, it has to retard ignition will light is on.  If its a poor connection, the knock sensor may start working, and EML will go out then, and full power returns...
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2006, 11:01:22 »

Odd, as once the EML is on due to a faulty knock sensor, it has to retard ignition will light is on.  If its a poor connection, the knock sensor may start working, and EML will go out then, and full power returns...

Mine was the lead shorting/breaking (dont know which).

The EML used to come on if I took a left hand bend sharply ;D

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2006, 11:16:30 »

hi, done paperclip and it came back with 12 and 98, 12 i beleive is diagniostic and 98 appears to be oxygen sensor? but dont sound too bad, could the o2 sensor be an old code as i have read somewhere on that site ..... (dont know if i dare say the name  :-X) that the lambada has been done? is this the same.......
BUT the earth lead appears to be just a tad loose ( lifts of  with no effort) could this bring light on?
cheers in advance
mick

STMO123

« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2006, 11:34:25 »

Give the lead a good clean and WD40 and see what happens :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2006, 12:10:53 »

Give the lead a good clean and WD40 and see what happens :y
make sure connections are good, if still persists, check for air leaks on intake...
Grumpy old man

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2006, 12:18:33 »

must get a new battery terminal as one on there isnt very clever . doesnt really tighten up also was on with a screw, so gonna get a nut and bolt from vx as only got hardware shop in village .... ho hum a 15 mile each way trip to hexham (why did i let her talk me into living in the hills?)
will let you know how i get on
cheers for all the help
Mick

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2006, 17:18:34 »

EGR valve sticking open.

Mine did this years ago and eventually the engine sounded like a bag of nails. I just happened to be a mile from the dealer so took it straight in. They removed and cleaned the EGR valve and it's been fine ever since, that must have been over 60k miles ago.

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2006, 10:55:17 »

thanks for advice, gonna have a look at oxygen sensor as earth on battery made no difference.

whilst on subject though is it normal practice to straqp an earth from engine to battery as previous owner has done this?

also will clean egr but does blanking off egr have any benefits/downfalls on the 3.0 engine?
cheers
mick

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2006, 11:07:32 »

I would deffo take a look at the earth on the Oxygen sensor.

It is not normal to have an additional earth strap from the battery to the engine but it certinally will not do any harm.

EGR valves introduce exhaust gas to the cylinders when the engine is being cruised (like on a motorway)  Its aim is to lower combusion temperature and NOX levels at the tailpipe.  It does reduce power.  Blanking this off will have no effect other than to remove this.  Apparently, many owners do just this when the egr blocks.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2006, 12:21:47 »

also will clean egr but does blanking off egr have any benefits/downfalls on the 3.0 engine?
cheers
mick

If you suspect it is failing, blank it off (keep valve in place, else ECU will moan).

No downsides. Blanking it will allow cylinders to run hotter (hence produce a bit of NOX), which may give the tiniest improvement in performance....
Grumpy old man

tyreburner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 December 2006, 13:56:49 »

many thanks, will try all the things you guys have mentioned  later.... was gonna do it after having her remus put on her z22se and sods law its piddling down and unfortunatly the garage would just about fit a nova so gotta sit twiddling me thumbs and making the list of things to do LONGER  :(  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.