Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zafira Tourer engine choices  (Read 7488 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Zafira Tourer engine choices
« on: 15 August 2023, 09:46:50 »

Morning all,

I'm starting to think about changing the Zafira for a similar bus that's a bit newer. Zafira Tourer is an obvious candidate and a quick look about suggests three engine options. There's a N/A 1.8 which looks like a continuation of the 1.6/1.8 units in my current car, 2.0 diesel and a 1.4T petrol, neither of which I know anything about. Obviously the 2.0 will deliver better economy, but at the cost of reliability?

I'm drawn instinctively to the 1.8 as its very much the devil I know, but how are the other two options, does anyone have any experience? Also, how are the auto boxes on these? I don't have any objection to either two or three pedals, but I'd prefer to avoid an unreliable option if possible.

Thanks as always  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Zafira Tourer engine choices
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2023, 10:30:20 »

Morning all,

I'm starting to think about changing the Zafira for a similar bus that's a bit newer. Zafira Tourer is an obvious candidate and a quick look about suggests three engine options. There's a N/A 1.8 which looks like a continuation of the 1.6/1.8 units in my current car, 2.0 diesel and a 1.4T petrol, neither of which I know anything about. Obviously the 2.0 will deliver better economy, but at the cost of reliability?

I'm drawn instinctively to the 1.8 as its very much the devil I know, but how are the other two options, does anyone have any experience? Also, how are the auto boxes on these? I don't have any objection to either two or three pedals, but I'd prefer to avoid an unreliable option if possible.

2.0 diesel is virtually unbreakable. I had it in my astra. Traded it at around 120,000 miles and it was still pulling like a train. You are, of course, taking a chance on the dpf having been treated right at a higher mileage. I used to let mine finish a regen before I'd stop the engine, plenty dont.
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2023, 11:32:39 »

Morning all,

Morning all,

2.0 diesel is virtually unbreakable. I had it in my astra. Traded it at around 120,000 miles and it was still pulling like a train. You are, of course, taking a chance on the dpf having been treated right at a higher mileage. I used to let mine finish a regen before I'd stop the engine, plenty dont.
Never had a deseasel but looks as though i might have to if and when i replace the humble Vectra. How long does a regen take,or does it vary from car to car, or depending on the state of the DPF?

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2023, 11:46:43 »

Morning all,

Morning all,

Never had a deseasel but looks as though i might have to if and when i replace the humble Vectra. How long does a regen take,or does it vary from car to car, or depending on the state of the DPF?
First of all, Ron, you've got to work out exactly when a regen is happening. Manufacturers don't help at all. My 2.0 astra used to idle at around 1000 rpm instead of 850 when a regen was happening, and you could hear the difference in engine tone. The 1.6 I've inherited from wifey makes a drone through the exhaust, which took me a while to work out. She said she noticed it now and again, but it was gone when she started up again  ;D
It happens around every 300 miles when new, but can drop as low as 200 miles as the dpf ages. Not every driver has the opportunity to keep driving when it starts, as it can take up to 10 minutes depending on what type of road your are on. Crawling through town is no good at all.
You can usually tell if you've switched off during a regen, because the dpf will be red hot and the cooling fans will start up to try to dissipate the heat.
I am fortunate in as much as I am extremely intelligent  ;D and have the time to drive on if/when I need to. I think it would probably be a faff for most people. I, personally, think it's worth it for 60mpg, some might not.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2023, 11:49:24 »

Oh...and the regen interval will change due to the type of journeys you make. The shop and back is no good for diesels.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2023, 14:47:17 »

Thanks Ste, I did wonder if it was the same lump as in your Astra(s). I agree about the DPF, and I can see a replacement aint cheap! That said, my use will most likely be mixed enough that it wont suffer in my ownership, just as long as its not goosed before I get it.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2023, 17:20:59 »

Thanks Steve.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2023, 18:38:39 »

I think the diesel Tourer still uses the crappy M32 gearbox, which although modified late in the Zaf-B production run, is still flawed, and eats bearings.  Easy to spot one on why out if you know what to look for, and only about £400 to repair if you catch it early enough.

I've found the smaller GM petrol turbos to be quite thirsty.  But, then, they are all hire cars, and get driven as such.  They feel too flat off boost, and when on boost, drinks the go-go juice.

I seem to recall when we looked, Zaf-C's were a bit heavier than Zac-B, so that 1.8 might feel less perky in one?
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2023, 20:02:08 »

That doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world, I would have thought used 'boxes aren't that rare either.

My Zaf B is the 1.6, so I figured the extra mass Vs the extra 20 horses would about even out. Plus, it's either me on my own in there, or it's full to the gunnels with family and stuff, and in that scenario, any speed over about 65 seems to trigger a loud whine from somewhere in the region of the back seat.  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2023, 20:38:14 »

I would suggest the 1.8 petrol. Both for longevity and simplicity. Both of which outweigh the undersized 1.4 and the unnecessary complexity of modern diesel ecomentalist shyte.

What you avoid in repair costs will far exceed the fuel penalties.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2023, 22:12:14 »

You make some excellent points.

The main thing I like about the current Zaf is it's simplicity and the fact that all the bits for it are so damn cheap.

There are a number of other things in the running: Grand voyager, ford Galaxy, R Class, Disco 3, or even one of those bonkers Japanese minivans but the expense of maintenance of all of those Vs the zaf is really off putting  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2023, 22:45:30 »

The R500 would be mechanically pretty bombproof. If a tad thirsty.

You'd never park next to another 8)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2023, 22:57:00 »

I saw an R63 for sale not that long ago. What a mental vehicle  ;D

That said, the 320 CDI didn't ought to be too bad reliability wise. Were they all airmatic or can you get them on proper springs too?
« Last Edit: 15 August 2023, 23:00:35 by Viral_Jim »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2023, 22:59:49 »

I saw an R63 for sale not that long ago. What a mental vehicle  ;D
£39,000 was a bit out of my budget, but one of the rarest production cars on the planet 8)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2023, 23:03:51 »

That's the one! I think the same dealer had a 6.0 V12 TDI Audi Q7, another one youre unlikely to see next to you at the lights  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.