Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rishi's EV jitters  (Read 7141 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Rishi's EV jitters
« on: 20 September 2023, 11:38:51 »

It looks like Rishi is going to increase the timeline for the ban on diesel and petrol cars...from 2030 to 2035. I don't think this will make any difference to me personally, but I do like a bit of schadenfreude. I will be smiling as the lentil munchers call foul and cry into their tofu salads  ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Rishi's EV jitters
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2023, 11:43:30 »

Didn't we just know this would be the case..😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2023, 12:00:06 »

Didn't we just know this would be the case..😂
We certainly did, Mick. He's received a dose of reality, no doubt given to him during one of many cabinet meetings held recently. This absolutely no way the infrastructure can be in place in time, and no way the national grid would cope. These 'green' idiots have no idea how such a strategy could work for ordinary people. I know a postman who lives locally in a terraced house.  He has to be at the sorting office by 4:30 am, and drives his diesel Passat there every morning. There is no public transport at that time. How is he supposed to be able to spend c.£30K on an EV and, just as important, where would he charge it?
These policies cannot be foisted on ordinary folk until the cost and inconvenience have been addressed.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2023, 12:13:39 »

Vegan sandal wearing eco loons will want the head of the pint-size PM.....if true. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2023, 12:15:12 »

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together always knew this couldnt happen.
The thing that surprises me is that he hasnt kicked it down the road and let Starmer face the reality in the next five years.
Politically he may have made a mistake, unless he is trying to start coming across as a brave, hard nosed, right wing Tory.
If so , its a bit late for that. The people thats supposed to appeal to wont believe him.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2023, 16:58:27 »

Extinction Rebellion will block every road in the country over this  ;D

But, seriously, I think what Sunak said was a move in the right direction. If only we lived in a democracy where the will of the majority was implemented by the government, he might have a chance. But we don't, we live in a country where those who shout the loudest and take to the streets usually get their own way. We'll see.

This, of course, puts Starmer in a very difficult position. Most of us don't shout the loudest and take to the streets, but we do vote  :)
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2023, 17:19:48 »

This is what the Labour party think....  ::)   Total muppets! ;D

And it's a tad ironic when it's emerged that Blair arranged Sir Starmer's meeting with Macron the other day.  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2023, 17:34:27 »

The dividing lines are finally starting to show, and about time too.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2023, 17:35:18 »

Don’t be surprised.. none of them are living in the real world… they don’t have to👍
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2023, 20:43:21 »

I've seen a suggestion on X that the real reason for Rishi extending the deadline for banning the sale new diesel and petrol cars to 2035 is to align with the EU who  extended to 2035 a few months ago.

Why align with the EU? Well because of his Windsor Framework, you will be able to buy a new petrol or diesel car in Northern Ireland (which is under EU rule) until 2035 anyway and it would be absurd to be able to buy a new ICE car in Northern Ireland, but not Great Britain. Also, the WF guarantees free access from NI to GB (not the other way round.) so we'd all be able to buy our new cars in Northern Ireland.  :D

Hoisted by his own petard?  ???  :)
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 20:55:48 by Sir Tigger KC »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2023, 21:09:32 »

Skipper on my last flight has lived in the UK for last 20 odd years and always voted Tory commented that he was going to vote Labour next time and he might even return home because the UK is going to shit. Much younger FO countered that this was entirely due to Brexit. Skipper, to his credit, pointed out that it was going to shut before that. Indeed Brexit is a symptom of the issue, not the cause. Equally, rejoining the EU as desired by the Treasonous Chunt B. Liar and his knighted goons will change, and therefore,solve nothing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2023, 21:22:54 »

Skipper on my last flight has lived in the UK for last 20 odd years and always voted Tory commented that he was going to vote Labour next time and he might even return home because the UK is going to shit. Much younger FO countered that this was entirely due to Brexit. Skipper, to his credit, pointed out that it was going to shut before that. Indeed Brexit is a symptom of the issue, not the cause. Equally, rejoining the EU as desired by the Treasonous Chunt B. Liar and his knighted goons will change, and therefore,solve nothing.

Hope you advised him not to let the door slap him on his arse on the way out!  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2023, 22:22:28 »

But folk will still be able to buy s/h  none ev cars after 2035 and use them ( always assuming that ulez hasnt extended to even small towns. Malaga has just announced, despite being 80% complete, that the ULEZ due Jan 24 will now be Jan 25. Thank god.

Tigger. I think you have something there about Europe. I think it makes sense to align Britain with Germany and France.anyway car industry wise.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2023, 22:54:52 »

But folk will still be able to buy s/h  none ev cars after 2035 and use them ( always assuming that ulez hasnt extended to even small towns. Malaga has just announced, despite being 80% complete, that the ULEZ due Jan 24 will now be Jan 25. Thank god.

Tigger. I think you have something there about Europe. I think it makes sense to align Britain with Germany and France.anyway car industry wise.

Now that Opel and Peugeot/Citroen are part of Stellantis, you have to include Italy. The British market isn't different enough to have different standards to Europe. That's true for everything, not just cars. It's so true, there ought to be an organisation that exists to make this easier ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2023, 00:18:13 »

Hope you advised him not to let the door slap him on his arse on the way out!  ;D
To be fair he did suggest that Canada was ideally suited to mass migration due to the amount of open space, although he did concede that Vancouver and Toronto were already full albeit with room to expand (in the case of Toronto).

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2023, 07:03:13 »

I notice that, in all of the noise generated by this announcement, not one article mentions a very big point that Sunak made early in his speech. That GB accounts for less than 1% of global emissions. No matter what we do, unless the big emitters do the same, it won't make even a tiny difference. This is big business screaming that it going to cost them money. No surprise there.
On the subject of cars, most of the major manufacturers have already said that they will not be producing any ICE  cars after 2030, and this policy will not change that. So......what's all the fuss about? Money, of course.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-12539863/Which-car-makers-said-wont-selling-petrol-diesel-models-2030.html
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2023, 09:43:26 »

Indeed most of the big boys we’re counting their chickens before they hatched, and it’s bit them on the arse😁
Laying a rubber road.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2023, 10:16:52 »

I don't remember Britain's corrupt media going into hysteria mode when the EU delayed the ban on new petrol and diesel cars a few months ago?  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2023, 10:51:01 »

I don't remember Britain's corrupt media going into hysteria mode when the EU delayed the ban on new petrol and diesel cars a few months ago?  ::)
Indeed, rather lazy arsed retards.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2023, 11:18:01 »

I notice that, in all of the noise generated by this announcement, not one article mentions a very big point that Sunak made early in his speech. That GB accounts for less than 1% of global emissions. No matter what we do, unless the big emitters do the same, it won't make even a tiny difference. This is big business screaming that it going to cost them money. No surprise there.
On the subject of cars, most of the major manufacturers have already said that they will not be producing any ICE  cars after 2030, and this policy will not change that. So......what's all the fuss about? Money, of course.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-12539863/Which-car-makers-said-wont-selling-petrol-diesel-models-2030.html

In fact, reading through again, I'm having trouble finding any of them even mentioning damage to the planet. Purely business.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2023, 15:11:26 »

No difference to 15-20yrs ago when Brown promoted diesel cars. It's all about getting consumers spending on new cars. The emissions stuff is just virtue signalling.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2023, 16:55:59 »

If only they'd contacted OOF we could have made it quite clear that it's all a pipe dream & it will never fuc**ng work..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2023, 17:30:23 »

If only they'd contacted OOF we could have made it quite clear that it's all a pipe dream & it will never fuc**ng work..

here here!  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 September 2023, 18:14:38 »

I've heard rumours that there's been so much bile from car manufacturers that he might have to do a U turn next week. Threats of court action and withdrawal of investment.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2023, 10:03:50 »

So as usual it all turns out to be smoke and mirrors.  ::)

In the Net Zero thread in Gen Chat we were talking about boiler manufacturers having quotas imposed on them by the government for numbers of heat pumps they will be required to sell and they will be fined £5000 for every unit under target.

Well, the car manufacturers also have a quota of EV's that they have to sell, and they will be fined £15,000 per unit under target!  :o  Apparently by 2030 80% of their sales will have to be EV's, and despite Sunak's big announcement on Tuesday this still stands.  ::)

Soviet tractor factories spring to mind and I don't remember voting for Britain to become a planned/command economy!  >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66875554

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 September 2023, 17:50:46 »

I suspect 'per mile charging' at a much higher rate then EV's and massive hikes in road tax will force the end of ICE cars when those in charge decide it's time.

If I haven't carked it by then I might just clone someone else's plates and run around until I get caught, I mean, a nice warm cell and food with the pension being paid into the bank ready for when I get out sounds like a full proof plan! ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2023, 18:34:11 »

I suspect 'per mile charging' at a much higher rate then EV's and massive hikes in road tax will force the end of ICE cars when those in charge decide it's time.

If I haven't carked it by then I might just clone someone else's plates and run around until I get caught, I mean, a nice warm cell and food with the pension being paid into the bank ready for when I get out sounds like a full proof plan! ;D

Sounds great, as long as you don't mind getting reamed out by 'Big Winston' every morning in the showers!  :o  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2023, 19:32:23 »

Sounds great, as long as you don't mind getting reamed out by 'Big Winston' every morning in the showers!  :o  ;D
Big Manuel  ;)
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2023, 19:42:07 »

Now that Opel and Peugeot/Citroen are part of Stellantis, you have to include Italy. The British market isn't different enough to have different standards to Europe. That's true for everything, not just cars. It's so true, there ought to be an organisation that exists to make this easier ::)

Do I detect the slightest hint of sarcasm?....

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 September 2023, 15:34:40 »

An organisation would be useful, but all thats available is a political union. You could only try and argue it is only an organisation if you also argue that the USA is only an organisation.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 September 2023, 15:35:12 »

The BBC have been trying really hard to find someone of importance to call out Rishi. They did the rounds of politicians and car manufacturers, but the majority were quite reserved. But, at last, they've found someone, the ex finance minister of Greece  ;D ;D ;D

Net zero: Rishi Sunak 'destroying' UK green credibility, says Yanis Varoufakis https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66905231

Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 September 2023, 15:40:16 »

I believe he was in the job when the Greek economy collapsed ?
And the Germans appointed one of their beaurocrats to run his country. All courtesy of that "organisation".  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 September 2023, 16:06:06 »

Doesn't an organisation, by definition, need to be organised  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 September 2023, 17:57:50 »

Well there is that, yes.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 September 2023, 21:49:03 »

Trumpy has weighed in congratulating Dear Rishi, so that'll get all the lefty/greenies spluttering over their musli!  ;D

Prime Minister Sunak of the United Kingdom has very substantially rolled back the ridiculous “Climate Mandates” that the United States is pushing on everyone, especially itself. I always knew Sunak was smart, that he wasn’t going to destroy and bankrupt his nation for fake climate alarmists that don’t have a clue. In the meantime the U.S. keeps rolling merrily along, spending Trillions of Dollars trying to do that which is not doable, while at the same time breathing in the filthy and totally untreated air floating over our once great Country from China, India, Russia, and Parts Unknown. They are all building Coal Fired Plants by the hundreds each year, and Germany, which has almost destroyed itself with its ridiculous form of the Green New Hoax, has just joined in. Congratulations to Prime Minister Sunak for recognizing this SCAM before it was too late! The Green New Hoax will take down the U.S., perhaps even sooner than our Open Border of Death. IT MUST BE STOPPED. MAGA!!!

(Donald Trump Truth Social Post 04:31 PM EST 9/23/23)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 September 2023, 22:03:36 »

Trumpy has weighed in congratulating Dear Rishi, so that'll get all the lefty/greenies spluttering over their musli!  ;D

Prime Minister Sunak of the United Kingdom has very substantially rolled back the ridiculous “Climate Mandates” that the United States is pushing on everyone, especially itself. I always knew Sunak was smart, that he wasn’t going to destroy and bankrupt his nation for fake climate alarmists that don’t have a clue. In the meantime the U.S. keeps rolling merrily along, spending Trillions of Dollars trying to do that which is not doable, while at the same time breathing in the filthy and totally untreated air floating over our once great Country from China, India, Russia, and Parts Unknown. They are all building Coal Fired Plants by the hundreds each year, and Germany, which has almost destroyed itself with its ridiculous form of the Green New Hoax, has just joined in. Congratulations to Prime Minister Sunak for recognizing this SCAM before it was too late! The Green New Hoax will take down the U.S., perhaps even sooner than our Open Border of Death. IT MUST BE STOPPED. MAGA!!!

Perhaps a little dramatic, Donald  ;D
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 September 2023, 22:33:12 »

I think that is a pretty fair assessment to be honest
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 September 2023, 12:09:10 »

I don't know, perhaps Geoff should take note... it's perfectly possible to be shouty and rational in the same piece, but all the talk of contrails makes a mockery of anything else that comes out, even if it was all fundamentally correct*...

* except the contrails of course.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 September 2023, 12:17:32 »

I don't know, perhaps Geoff should take note... it's perfectly possible to be shouty and rational in the same piece, but all the talk of contrails makes a mockery of anything else that comes out, even if it was all fundamentally correct*...

I have no idea what you're talking about  ???
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 September 2023, 12:24:52 »

I have no idea what you're talking about  ???
Some context... https://youtu.be/oQEFMeMU1H0?si=7f02fS9CkeFj5jQH

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 25 September 2023, 12:30:03 »

Ahhh....Geoff from YouTube.......of course  ::)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 25 September 2023, 12:47:09 »

Sure some of his ULEZ videos were previously referenced here :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 September 2023, 14:10:17 »

Probably, but I'm not going to recognise that from you say "George said.....", am I?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25 September 2023, 20:41:13 »

Probably, but I'm not going to recognise that from you say "George said.....", am I?
https://youtu.be/lUt-EtePx5g?si=YrnrtIruukwTiYN_

Case in point...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.