Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car insurance  (Read 4623 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Car insurance
« on: 28 October 2015, 11:09:16 »

Hi all,anybody had any dealings with Hastings direct.Just had a ridiculously low quote for the omega from them,£229 fully comp.But you know the old saying,if it looks to good to be true it probably is.Just wondered if anyone is or has been insured by them.After being with saga for 2 years they want £572 just for fully comp,with no extras except protected ncd.Any opinions welcomed.Dean :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Car insurance
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2015, 11:18:10 »

They are reputable. I think it's underwritten by UK Insurance (Direct Line etc) so be careful about them pushing knock for knock if you need to claim
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2015, 11:23:18 »

They are reputable. I think it's underwritten by UK Insurance (Direct Line etc) so be careful about them pushing knock for knock if you need to claim
Hi LD whats knock for knock mate.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2015, 11:30:31 »

I was with them last year with no problems.
Things like windscreen cover is not normally included in the cheepo policy so read the "what you get for your money section" very carefully  ;)

Contacting them is a friggin pain in the arse with 30 minutes listening to greensleaves not uncommon.
Also watch what you make your call on because even when they can be arsed to answer the phone, you may find you end up on hold again  >:(

This year, I went with Peoples Choice because I thought it would save me about 20 quid.
Turns out they are both the same company and by the time I added up the extra time spent on the phone, it cost me MORE so beware  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2015, 11:53:11 »

It's where insurance companies settle their own customers claim, rather than each others. It's quick and efficient, so it happens a lot when the amounts are small. And any Omega claim will be 'small' as they aren't worth anything.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2015, 12:23:36 »

Take their arm off!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2015, 12:32:30 »

It's where insurance companies settle their own customers claim, rather than each others. It's quick and efficient, so it happens a lot when the amounts are small. And any Omega claim will be 'small' as they aren't worth anything.
I f both insurance companies are under the umbrella of a larger underwriter, eg. UK Insurance, they are not going to fight each other in order to get the best result for their customers. 'Don't get done get Dom' had a case on recently about either AA or RAC insurance where the customer could not use the legal cover bit of the policy because the ins co would have been fighting themselves. This, of course, was not made clear at the point of sale.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2015, 13:08:16 »

recently paid £129 to aviva for my insurance.  bit complicated to work out as it was £315 for two cars after £39 multi vehicle discount, less £70 cashback but i think i calculated it right.  excess is bit higher now at £250.  it was a one off special deal i am sure i will have to move again next year probably back to admiral. 

that is 3rd party, i recall fully comp was not a lot more but is it worth going for fully comp on a £600 car?

i also no longer have protected no claims but figure that was of limited value anyway - if i make a claim i'm sure my premiums would go up even if my ncd stays the same.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2015, 13:32:06 »

that is 3rd party, i recall fully comp was not a lot more but is it worth going for fully comp on a £600 car?

On the face of it no, but it depends what else is included/not included. For example mine includes windscreen cover and (more importantly) hire car in the event of a fault accident or knock-for-knock claim - important if you need the car for work  :y Although potentially the difference in premiums could cover the hire car?

Also, not sure if you can protect you NCD on policies that arent fully comp?

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2015, 13:42:16 »

Its a little confusing on the policy as well.I opted for no ncd cover when i filled out the details,but in one part of the policy it says it is protected.Just had another look,its protected for uninsured driver only.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2015, 13:54:20 by moggy »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2015, 13:51:33 »

i'm a bit cynical about insurance, there always seems to be a lot of get out clauses, excesses and a lot of claim paperwork so i usually cut it down to the most basic/cheapest. 

no windscreen cover with 3rd party but if i had fully comp there was a specific £75 excess. is a new omega windscreen a lot more than that?

agreed hire car cover could be very valuable but presumably i could claim it if it was the other party's fault.

ncd protection is available on third party, had it with admiral. dropped it because of reports that any accident report let alone claim puts the premium up, regardless of fault or ncd.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2015, 13:56:30 »

I was with them last year with no problems.
Things like windscreen cover is not normally included in the cheepo policy so read the "what you get for your money section" very carefully  ;)

Contacting them is a friggin pain in the arse with 30 minutes listening to greensleaves not uncommon.
Also watch what you make your call on because even when they can be arsed to answer the phone, you may find you end up on hold again  >:(

This year, I went with Peoples Choice because I thought it would save me about 20 quid.
Turns out they are both the same company and by the time I added up the extra time spent on the phone, it cost me MORE so beware  ;)
TG where is the what you get for your money section,as i cant find it. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2015, 13:59:48 »

no windscreen cover with 3rd party but if i had fully comp there was a specific £75 excess. is a new omega windscreen a lot more than that?

Sod the windscreen, a whole miggy isn't a lot more than that  ;D. The parents' P38 Range rover though, Nearly £1,000  :o :o - Its all about spec'ing it for your needs.

agreed hire car cover could be very valuable but presumably i could claim it if it was the other party's fault.

Yup you could for sure and tbh, I don't know what a week's hire car cost is, not that much I reckon. So probably not worth it on that score either.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2015, 14:00:19 »

i'm a bit cynical about insurance, there always seems to be a lot of get out clauses, excesses and a lot of claim paperwork so i usually cut it down to the most basic/cheapest. 

ncd protection is available on third party, had it with admiral. dropped it because of reports that any accident report let alone claim puts the premium up, regardless of fault or ncd.

£200+ for a screen, unless you're lucky and yuo find one used/ex-stock, or you can get one out of a scrapper intact (possible, but nearly impossible)  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2015, 14:34:08 »

yep, £198 fitted from budgetwindscreens.co.uk

as often with oof there is helpful a thread on it - 'How much is a windscreen' http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=105848.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.