Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3090014 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #22125 on: 26 April 2021, 19:37:29 »

Done the same as I do most weeks. Thought that, since my astra is 600 miles off 80,000 and has a couple of battle scars, I'd have a look for a suitable replacement. Spent half an hour on the trader, looking at overpriced shit boxes, and decided to look again next week.
Because, of course, all the stock will have changed by then and reduced in price  ;D

10 years ago I'd have bought one just for the hell of it, so at least I've moved forward in that respect.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22126 on: 26 April 2021, 20:29:51 »

Tried to find coolant leak on daughters Corsa D 1.4 petrol. Had the mirror and torch all around it with engine running, no visible run line but coolant weeping out of lowest point of engine to bellhousing join. Definitely weeping out of the join. No coolant trace visible up higher from the plastic part usual suspect, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant so pressure test required. Unless they put a core plug in the bellhousing it looks like I'll be taking the head off. Water pump and thermostat are at the other end so not either of them.  :-\
This is her 'fix things when they break' car, so the service history is dire.  ::)

EGR Valve is that side on the z14xep IIRC
with coolant passages rom out of the side of the C.H
also a coolant temp sensor (2 wire type) again IIRC

not had one apart for a while fortunately but i don't recall core plugs behind the flywheel
I have a short block in my scrap pile , i'll look in the daylight .

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22127 on: 26 April 2021, 20:32:29 »

Done the same as I do most weeks. Thought that, since my astra is 600 miles off 80,000 and has a couple of battle scars, I'd have a look for a suitable replacement. Spent half an hour on the trader, looking at overpriced shit boxes, and decided to look again next week.
Because, of course, all the stock will have changed by then and reduced in price  ;D

10 years ago I'd have bought one just for the hell of it, so at least I've moved forward in that respect.
give it a service and wash and review again at  100K  :D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22128 on: 26 April 2021, 20:38:38 »

Tried to find coolant leak on daughters Corsa D 1.4 petrol. Had the mirror and torch all around it with engine running, no visible run line but coolant weeping out of lowest point of engine to bellhousing join. Definitely weeping out of the join. No coolant trace visible up higher from the plastic part usual suspect, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant so pressure test required. Unless they put a core plug in the bellhousing it looks like I'll be taking the head off. Water pump and thermostat are at the other end so not either of them.  :-\
This is her 'fix things when they break' car, so the service history is dire.  ::)
That's a common motoring philosophy these days.  :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22129 on: 26 April 2021, 20:47:45 »

not had one apart for a while fortunately but i don't recall core plugs behind the flywheel

Thanks for that Dave.  :y  Coolant temp sensor in the plastic part is water tight so all good there. Just can't see any coolant high up but thanks for the tips.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22130 on: 26 April 2021, 21:41:44 »

Fixed that for you Dave!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22131 on: 26 April 2021, 21:48:44 »

Fixed that for you Dave!  ;D
spoken like a true FORD driver  :P

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22132 on: 26 April 2021, 22:07:05 »

I don't give my car 'services', I have a man for things like that. And as for giving it a wash, does sitting in it while wet brushes travel along the length of it count?  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22133 on: 26 April 2021, 22:30:44 »

I don't give my car 'services', I have a man for things like that. And as for giving it a wash, does sitting in it while wet brushes travel along the length of it count?  ;D

Having the dirt literally whipped off your car by a giant spinning mop has just sent shivers through the detailers amongst us.  ;D At least the foreigners use snow foam before attacking it en masse.  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22134 on: 27 April 2021, 08:03:19 »

The weather has been better so painted some more tractor panels, now fitted (rear wings, painted wheels etc), so time for another run to test the brakes.

Quick video here:
https://marksdtmcalib.omegaowners.com/images/video-20210426-090239-d3025e39.mp4

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22135 on: 27 April 2021, 14:13:35 »

Thanks for that Dave.  :y  Coolant temp sensor in the plastic part is water tight so all good there. Just can't see any coolant high up but thanks for the tips.  :y
No traditional core plugs as such behind the flywheel
there are 2 grub screw type plugs T45 torx but i suspect they are oil way machine plugs  :-\

a pressure test might be a wise next step rather than stripping anything as you say

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22136 on: 27 April 2021, 14:58:36 »

there are 2 grub screw type plugs T45 torx but i suspect they are oil way machine plugs  :-\

a pressure test might be a wise next step rather than stripping anything as you say

Thank you for checking Dave.  :y  It would be a strange place for one admittedly. I've topped up to minimum line coolant level when cold and asked my daughter to keep an eye on it (also when cold). The coolant was weeping out of the lowest part of the engine to bellhousing seam, not down to it from either direction, hence the question. As I've replaced the coolant temp sensor on the plastic part, I'm wondering if the coolant that drained out could have got in there somehow, and the coolant drop that I saw on the expansion tank was the system bleeding the coolant through. I'd have thought engine heat would have evaporated any spills though so I'm not optimistic about that theory as it's still weeping out. I'll monitor it before progressing but thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.  :y
« Last Edit: 27 April 2021, 15:03:20 by YZ250 »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22137 on: 27 April 2021, 15:14:43 »

Thank you for checking Dave.  :y  It would be a strange place for one admittedly. I've topped up to minimum line coolant level when cold and asked my daughter to keep an eye on it (also when cold). The coolant was weeping out of the lowest part of the engine to bellhousing seam, not down to it from either direction, hence the question. As I've replaced the coolant temp sensor on the plastic part, I'm wondering if the coolant that drained out could have got in there somehow, and the coolant drop that I saw on the expansion tank was the system bleeding the coolant through. I'd have thought engine heat would have evaporated any spills though so I'm not optimistic about that theory as it's still weeping out. I'll monitor it before progressing but thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.  :y
well fingers crossed it's something simple  ;)
I've had the misfortune to completely rebuild one of those including rings ,though the block is light enough to lift out leaving the gearbox in the car  :D
it's a horrible design that engine  :P

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22138 on: 27 April 2021, 16:26:10 »

The weather has been better so painted some more tractor panels, now fitted (rear wings, painted wheels etc), so time for another run to test the brakes.

Quick video here:
https://marksdtmcalib.omegaowners.com/images/video-20210426-090239-d3025e39.mp4

Wow, very long stroke on that 111.1mm  :y
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.