Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you join a mains cable?  (Read 1430 times)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
how do you join a mains cable?
« on: 22 January 2014, 19:50:58 »

was giving the cat a quick hoover tonight and managed to shut the door on the mains cable almost cutting it in half!as i always use a rcd there was no drama but whats the beat way to join it?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: how do you join a mains cable?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2014, 19:51:48 »

Replace the entire length of flex. Generic cables, approx 8-9m, are usually around a tenner.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2014, 19:55:07 »

Replace the entire length of flex. Generic cables, approx 8-9m, are usually around a tenner.

AS he said ^^^

Repairing the cable is easy but not advisable, as it will be under stress when ever pulled/moved (and that's what you do with hoovers), so has the potential to come loose/undone, and that's "not good"

Don't bodge it .. replace it .. :)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2014, 20:09:18 »

was giving the cat a quick hoover tonight and managed to shut the door on the mains cable almost cutting it in half!as i always use a rcd there was no drama but whats the beat way to join it?

please note was giving the car a hoover not the cat :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2014, 20:20:29 »

Too late mate, already noted.

I remember in my student days helping a female student who had extended the flex on an electric fire. ALL cables nicely twisted together and then the whole thing carefully wrapped in insulation tape. ;D   
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2014, 20:33:46 »

We hoover the cat...  ...although the newer DC41 doesn't have an option to allow it to suck air through a bypass, so it does catch on her, making her swear a bit.

She likes being hoovered (with the old vac) :)
Grumpy old man

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2014, 20:40:05 »

well on the positive side I now have 2 extension cables
1 about 8 m and 1 about 12
just thought if I wire a plug on one and a socket on the other I can join them up  :y :y :y :y :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2014, 20:42:47 »

Too late mate, already noted.

I remember in my student days helping a female student who had extended the flex on an electric fire. ALL cables nicely twisted together and then the whole thing carefully wrapped in insulation tape. ;D

Is there another way, reminds me of using a screw driver to put in the earth while you pushed the red and black wires in the socket, remove the screw driver and they get locked in, or position the wires and push another plug in..............it makes you wonder how how we survive really............... ::) ::) ::) :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2014, 20:54:21 »

What I meant was all six cables twisted together into one mass and then nicely wrapped in insulation tape. It kept blowing the fuse.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2014, 20:59:26 »

just thought if I wire a plug on one and a socket on the other I can join them up  :y :y :y :y :y

If it's two core use a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUG-AND-SOCKET-CABLE-CONNECTOR-2-PIN-SUITABLE-FOR-FLYMO-/360827174986
best wishes
Simon.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2014, 21:04:10 »

If it's two core use a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUG-AND-SOCKET-CABLE-CONNECTOR-2-PIN-SUITABLE-FOR-FLYMO-/360827174986

but make sure you get the plug & socket the right way round  ;)  ;)  ;) Apparently that's why B&D don't use them any more  ???

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2014, 21:53:19 »

but make sure you get the plug & socket the right way round  ;)  ;)  ;) Apparently that's why B&D don't use them any more  ???
Haha... Indeed, did that to the dyson when the dog chewed the flex... Marked one side of the plug and socket to make it idiot proof :-X

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2014, 22:02:38 »

I came across a hired 40kVA generator where they'd fitted a male 5 pin commando plug on the 400V 3 phase output once. There's me trying to plug it into a piece of kit. Just about to brush my hand over the end of the plug in case there's something stuck to it, preventing it going in. Luckily, I looked at it a split second beforehand :o

Had a word with the bloke from the hire company...

"Oh, it came in with a broken plug and I got the apprentice to fit a new one. Sorry" >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2014, 22:23:56 »

I came across a hired 40kVA generator where they'd fitted a male 5 pin commando plug on the 400V 3 phase output once. There's me trying to plug it into a piece of kit. Just about to brush my hand over the end of the plug in case there's something stuck to it, preventing it going in. Luckily, I looked at it a split second beforehand :o

"Oh, it came in with a broken plug and I got the apprentice to fit a new one. Sorry" >:(

Surly the work of a apprentice should be checked, especially with it being electricity and 3 phase at that...... :o :o

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2014, 22:26:32 »

Surly the work of a apprentice should be checked, especially with it being electricity and 3 phase at that...... :o :o

Yeah, you'd have thought so! :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.