Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buses  (Read 1988 times)

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
Buses
« on: 21 March 2014, 08:21:30 »

Does anyone here have a Bus licence. I am trying to find out if it is actually illegal to drop off passengers at traffic lights when the light is red. Tried to search for an answer but found nothing yet.

Regards

05omegav6

Re: Buses
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2014, 10:53:26 »

Common sense would say 'illegal' guess the technical offence would read summat along the lines of...

Failing to ensure passenger safety and causing potential inconvenience to other road users by allowing passengers to embark/disembark in dangerous or otherwise inappropriate locations. ie anywhere other than a designated Bus Stop/Stand

Whysthatthen :-\

Nothing mentioned in the official DSA guide to driving Buses and Coaches, not even a reference to Bus Stops  :o
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 11:02:15 by Taxi Al »

Stemo

« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2014, 10:59:11 »

Bus drivers can do what they like. We have a bus stop with a give way sign where the bus exits, do they wait for a gap?, no they just charge through it knowing that you will give way. Well......mostly anyway.....been a couple of brave people tried to make a point......but not me...thank you.... :o

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2014, 11:05:15 »

Bus drivers can do what they like. We have a bus stop with a give way sign where the bus exits, do they wait for a gap?, no they just charge through it knowing that you will give way. Well......mostly anyway.....been a couple of brave people tried to make a point......but not me...thank you.... :o
Ah yes that Highway Code bollix rule... give way to buses  ??? funny how they always miss out the second half of that rule on their pretty stickers... where it is safe and practicable so to do... ::)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2014, 13:23:02 »

your best bet it to PM nitro..he was an examiner for national express once upon a time. :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2014, 13:44:33 »

your best bet it to PM nitro..he was an examiner for national express once upon a time. :y
or seth.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2014, 14:02:53 »

All I know is that for decades there have been buses with open rear entrances, as in the case of London transport, and I for one have been a passenger who would jump off and on the rear platform when the bus stopped anywhere. That included when stopped at traffic lights, and no clippy ever has stopped those doing it. :y :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2014, 14:46:41 »

All I know is that for decades there have been buses with open rear entrances, as in the case of London transport, and I for one have been a passenger who would jump off and on the rear platform when the bus stopped anywhere. That included when stopped at traffic lights, and no clippy ever has stopped those doing it. :y :y

Lizzie - be careful about mentioning rear entrances on here or you will attract attention. :-\
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2014, 16:47:41 »

Lizzie - be careful about mentioning rear entrances on here or you will attract attention. :-\

;D ;D ;D I was forgetting we have all types on here! ;D ;D

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2014, 17:40:04 »

I don't think it is a question of law here, but a question of company rules.
If a passenger is injured alighting from a bus at a bus stop the insurance will cover them because it is an authorised stopping point whereas a set of traffic lights is not and being as the driver opened the door to allow the passengers off then the driver could be in a very sticky situation.
best wishes
Simon.

Stemo

« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2014, 17:59:57 »

;D ;D ;D I was forgetting we have all types on here! ;D ;D

:-* :-* :-*

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2014, 18:22:22 »

Common sense would say 'illegal' guess the technical offence would read summat along the lines of...

Failing to ensure passenger safety and causing potential inconvenience to other road users by allowing passengers to embark/disembark in dangerous or otherwise inappropriate locations. ie anywhere other than a designated Bus Stop/Stand

Whysthatthen :-\

Nothing mentioned in the official DSA guide to driving Buses and Coaches, not even a reference to Bus Stops  :o

I know some taxi drivers who dump their passengers on the road side....is there a law on this also ??? >:(
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2014, 18:51:36 »

Kerbside is broadly acceptable, but obviously not in such away as to cause an issue... So at a junction/traffic lights/pedestrian crossings are all not so bright... actually I'll go a step further and say pretty king retarded.

Circumstances come into play on rare occasions. I did once leave someone on a dual carriageway after they opened a door at 70mph. Suffice to say the Plod were informed of their presence...

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2014, 22:48:20 »

I don't think it is a question of law here, but a question of company rules.
If a passenger is injured alighting from a bus at a bus stop the insurance will cover them because it is an authorised stopping point whereas a set of traffic lights is not and being as the driver opened the door to allow the passengers off then the driver could be in a very sticky situation.

Agreed! ;)

All Western Welsh's buses had a transfer prominently affixed in the entrance/exit area which extolled:

"Passengers alighting or boarding the bus other than at an authorised bus stop do so at their own risk" as seen here below the Used Tickets bin:

It was also clearly outlined in the company-issued 'Staff Instructions & Conditions of Carriage' booklet, which was required to be carried by all staff whence on duty.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 22:59:08 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2014, 23:09:40 »

(Better attempt hopefully):

All Western Welsh's buses had a transfer prominently affixed in the entrance/exit area which extolled:

"Passengers alighting or boarding the bus other than at an authorised bus stop do so at their own risk" as seen here below the Used Tickets bin:

Photo dates from 1956! :o
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 23:12:54 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.