Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy bill fixed rates.  (Read 642 times)

chrisgixer

Energy bill fixed rates.
« on: 21 March 2014, 11:43:20 »

Our fixed rate is up shortly.

Tempted to fix for 3 years with EDF. Means an annual increase of £271 over our current bill. :-\

sjr47

Re: Energy bill fixed rates.
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2014, 12:18:12 »

Wholesale energy prices are falling at the moment so there,s a chance you could lose out but then there is the Ukraine /Russian situation if EU imposes sanction  on Russia will it retaliate by withdrawing Gas exports, would,nt put it past them then prices will go through the roof  & Chinas growth is picking up again .Might be a good call £271 divided by 3 years = £7.50 a month less than 10% for most of us.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2014, 12:22:12 by sjr47 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2014, 14:03:59 »

Last year, I fixed mine until Dec 2016 (I think), hopefully by which time the do-gooders would have all been shot, and fracking allowed.

For me, it still worked out cheaper, as with everything else going on, I'd lapsed from a special deal onto EONs standard Vaseline Special rate. But was around £100 a year more than the best rate I could get at the time, according to the comparison sites.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2014, 17:13:59 »

I can't see prices going down anytime soon, personally.

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2014, 17:19:01 »

We have been with EDF for the last three years and won each year, need to renew in September so may well stay with EDF again, they seem the best at the moment!
best wishes
Simon.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2014, 18:25:18 »

You need to move on from doing your heads in on this - whatever you do you will have got it wrong  ;D

Difference is piddling at end of day. I lose more down the back of the couch in the course of a year 8)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

cleggy

« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2014, 18:37:09 »

I've just renewed with EON for two years fixed on the AGE UK tariff, comes in a couple of pounds a month more than the one year deal with little benefits. At least I know gas and leccy charges combined will cost me a ton a month. Like others I can't see energy bills going anything but up in the near future.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2014, 19:03:47 »

At the end of the day they are better at playing the energy market than we are. If they can stomach offering an attractive fixed rate it's because they know they will win over the term, or because it's worth it to them to lock you in.

If you know you CBA to switch suppliers on a regular basis, or absolutely have to know where you stand on cost, fix the price. Otherwise, chase the best deal and switch regularly. As pscocoa says, the difference over the long term is likely not to be worth worrying about - unless you've been with British Gas since 1975 and have never bothered to switch. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2014, 19:13:48 »

And the switching companies / comparison sites are also winners on the merry go round. There is no new business - it is somebody else's
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2014, 20:01:37 »

Energy companies have certainly latched on to the comparison sites, and no doubt will be manipulating figures to suit. In fact H knows a few people that are worse off after after switching to the alleged cheapest, compared to what they where on before after doing the sums.
Indeed EDF where quoting figures on our "personalised page" that had nothing do with the energy we where consuming. Figures plucked from thin air. ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2014, 20:03:28 »

Yep, I always ignore the BS figure on the comparison site, dig around for the cost per unit, standing charge, etc. and work it out for myself.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.