Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Original hose spring clip  (Read 5526 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Original hose spring clip
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2020, 13:46:17 »

Best you don't look too closely at Airbus plumbing... :-X
French. Don't count.
Actually, the galley systems are often British or American and Hamburg plays a part in the build process :P

When I get back into work, I shall have a rummage, but I suspect that spring clips aren't used anywhere  :-\ it's all band clamps, jubilee clips or unions on hard lines depending on the system. Even the hard lines vary... Aluminium for low pressure and stainless steel for high pressure.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2020, 13:54:47 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2020, 13:50:47 »

Best you don't look too closely at Airbus plumbing... :-X
French. Don't count.
Actually, the galley systems are often British or American and Hamburg plays a part in the build process :P
I thought the design is entirely froggie, just with components made in other countries?  But I probably learnt that from a BBC/CH4 documentary, so probably 'dangle berries' ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 August 2020, 14:28:26 »

Final assembly happens in Toulouse or Hamburg, but even things like the seats are delivered from Recaro or Weber complete and ready to fit. Likewise galley and toilet sub assemblies ;)

Relatively little of what we do is covered by the aircraft IPC, and even things that are have to be cross referenced with the component manuals.

Fortunately, the parts system automatically cross references the part numbers for any aftermarket components, so whilst you might not have a given part number in stock, the alternative might be.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 August 2020, 17:55:53 »

Final assembly happens in Toulouse or Hamburg, but even things like the seats are delivered from Recaro or Weber complete and ready to fit. Likewise galley and toilet sub assemblies ;)

Relatively little of what we do is covered by the aircraft IPC, and even things that are have to be cross referenced with the component manuals.

Fortunately, the parts system automatically cross references the part numbers for any aftermarket components, so whilst you might not have a given part number in stock, the alternative might be.

I'll save you the bother: despite their touted technical superiority, spring clamps aren't used on aircraft. Which means I don't need to mention Rotax engined autogyros that still have their original coolant hoses ;D Those are a service part, and such a shit job to change that the manufacturer's parts kit includes new clamps. Jubilee clamps.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 August 2020, 18:08:39 »

Those are a service part, and such a shit job to change that the manufacturer's parts kit includes new clamps. Jubilee clamps.....[/font]
No no no, not unless you use Messers Bodgit and Scarpers.  Hence you don't see that junk on any cars, mass produced or custom built (assuming the builder knows their arse from their elbow).  *IF* you have to use a worm drive clamp because your hoses are an unusual size, you use better ones than jubilee style.

Service life of a spring clip type - a far better system for smaller hoses, giving a uniform, maintenance free clamp without pinch points at a precise tension - is usually rated at 15 years, but dependant on keeping the rust out.  Thats why I've never have to replace any on any of my Vauxhalls. So similar price for a far superior, more reliable fitment, faster fit, and less warranty. No wonder car makers use them.

Not suitable for higher pressures, obviously. But nor are jubilees.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 August 2020, 20:43:05 »

Cant believe you two are still arguing about this.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 August 2020, 20:54:56 »

I can ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 August 2020, 11:43:06 »

Cant believe you two are still arguing about this.  ;D
I hate to see people following poor advice...
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 August 2020, 12:54:21 »

To seal well all hose clips need to be the right size. Spring clips work over a very narrow range, and can be hard to remove if the tongues are not accessible.

Jubilee clips claim a wide range, like 35-50mm, but if used on too small a hose the nut part of the clip will have the wrong curvature and allow leakage. On my Astra and Vectra bottom hose connections, 35-50mm jubilees leaked, but 25-40 jubilees sealed well.

Spring clips can rust through and disappear. My daughter set off from home for London last Christmas, only to ring from Leigh Delamere, claiming the header tank upper hose had come off, releasing all the coolant. I drove there with spare spring clip, antifreeze and water, and sent her on her way.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 October 2020, 12:45:18 »

Personally, I prefer to use the original type, even thogh they are awkward buggers without the correct tool, because they apply the correct amount of pressure and cant be overtightened like a worm drive clip can. Especially important when they are being used on a plastic pipe.

Sorry for raising the old post, I meant to add. Use mole grips on these clips. Makes life a lot easier.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.