Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another Winter Tyre Thread...  (Read 3849 times)

05omegav6

Re: Yet another Winter Tyre Thread...
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2012, 12:57:27 »

The only thing I recall seeing in Luxembourg was Ikea :-\

Do like driving on the Continent though :y

That was Belgium ;)
Might have been on the way out of Lux. On a hill to the left heading north ::) We were taking the (very) scenic route from Basle to Dunkirk via Alsace, Nancy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Cite Europ ::) The basic premis was to avoid the Toll roads in France :y

OOMV6

« Reply #31 on: 11 November 2012, 14:08:44 »

The only thing I recall seeing in Luxembourg was Ikea :-\

Do like driving on the Continent though :y

That was Belgium ;)
Might have been on the way out of Lux. On a hill to the left heading north ::) We were taking the (very) scenic route from Basle to Dunkirk via Alsace, Nancy, Luxembourg, Belgium and Cite Europ ::) The basic premis was to avoid the Toll roads in France :y

Indeed. It is 1-2 km from border. Ikea originally wanted to open a store in Luxembourg, as the next nearest is Metz in France or Saarlouis in Germany which are both 45min - 1 hour drive from Luxembourg. The Luxembourg authorities (stupidly) declined planning permission, so they popped over the border and serve the Luxembourg population from just over the border.

Yeah, the route you took is a sensible one. France is toll free from Nancy to Luxembourg (but restricted to 110 kmh, 90 in places). From Luxembourg up to Dunkirk, the best is via Belgium anyway, but there are more and more cameras nowadays. When I was first around here you could plod on through Belgium at 90 - 100 mph no probs. Not anymore.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #32 on: 11 November 2012, 14:51:36 »

Tunnie, forget about the cost..

This kind of trips , is done rarely .. so ask yourself a question do you want to drive your car and enjoy the trip despite the many risks involved?

thats the question..

and will you go lonely or not ?

winter tyre is a minor subject and my choice personally would be the best,  goodyear or conti as you may use them for at least 4 years..

and to answer your question: I use winter tyres  for five months and 5 years under dry conditions rarely snow, rarely wet but they are not damaged.. the only important point is that dont use them above 15 celcius and dont go over 70-80 mph on dry..

Doubt it with 2 mates who would also be in the car, driven further before in an older car (Senator)

if you wont be lonely then its ok.. go for it with the car.. but prepare a long necessary list ;D :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 November 2012, 15:36:29 »

Tunnie, you have only priced one tyre in your calculations ;)

Also, be aware that LPG is not that common in Luxembourg ;) Make sure you fill in Belgium though :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

OOMV6

« Reply #34 on: 11 November 2012, 15:51:46 »

Also, be aware that LPG is not that common in Luxembourg ;) Make sure you fill in Belgium though :y

Wouldn't worry too much about that. The country ain't big. Even if you have to tour the capital city looking for some, it'll only take you half hour  ;). You'll be coming in from Belgium. I believe the first services after the border has LPG. Don't quote me on that, yet - but I can check tomorrow morning as I will pass it in both directions.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 November 2012, 15:58:53 »

I know, Oops!  :-[

Sorted that, still way cheaper than flying though:

Fuel   £212.40   
Ferry   £90.00   
Breakdown   £64.00   
Extras   £10.00   
Tyres   £190.00   
Hotel   £65.00   (45EUR/night)

Total /3   £210.47   

Fuel use I've put at worse case, highest price and lowest MPG.

Although if we get a chance between now and 2013, I would not mind a check over on my LPG if thats ok? I can come to you  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 November 2012, 15:59:59 »

Wouldn't worry too much about that. The country ain't big. Even if you have to tour the capital city looking for some, it'll only take you half hour  ;). You'll be coming in from Belgium. I believe the first services after the border has LPG. Don't quote me on that, yet - but I can check tomorrow morning as I will pass it in both directions.

One I found is just on the outside of the city, not far from the hotel, so perfect for filling up. Think I can do High Wycombe to Luxembourg on a single tank, as above, want to be empty when arriving there at that price  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 November 2012, 16:16:03 »

Think I can do High Wycombe to Luxembourg on a single tank, as above, want to be empty when arriving there at that price  :)
I managed Wheatley to Puivert (not that far from Andorra) on a single tank of fuel in the summer ::)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 November 2012, 16:19:37 »

Think I can do High Wycombe to Luxembourg on a single tank, as above, want to be empty when arriving there at that price  :)
I managed Wheatley to Puivert (not that far from Andorra) on a single tank of fuel in the summer ::)

I assume that was in the Insignia  ::)

OOMV6

« Reply #39 on: 11 November 2012, 17:31:08 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 November 2012, 21:02:56 »

I assume that was in the Insignia  ::)
Yup, sure as heck not any of my current Omegas ;D

Tractor *may* have made it if I behaved, as its all motorway, so the auto wouldn't suck the mpg
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #41 on: 12 November 2012, 10:19:49 »

and to answer your question: I use winter tyres  for five months and 5 years under dry conditions rarely snow, rarely wet but they are not damaged.. the only important point is that dont use them above 15 celcius and dont go over 70-80 mph on dry..

The Goodyears are surviving quite well for me, despite being used to thunder plod up and down the length of the M40 on a weekly basis at .. why, the legal speed limit, of course. :-[ :-X

I've also used mine up to about 15C like you, Cem, and seen no ill effects so far - in fact they still look brand new and this is their second year on the car :y In fact they've been on the car about a month now - so locals will know roughly what the temperatures have been like over here in that time :)

I've even added plastic wheel trims to the steel wheels..  :-[ ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #42 on: 12 November 2012, 10:45:06 »

The Goodyears are surviving quite well for me, despite being used to thunder plod up and down the length of the M40 on a weekly basis at .. why, the legal speed limit, of course. :-[ :-X

I've also used mine up to about 15C like you, Cem, and seen no ill effects so far - in fact they still look brand new and this is their second year on the car :y In fact they've been on the car about a month now - so locals will know roughly what the temperatures have been like over here in that time :)

I've even added plastic wheel trims to the steel wheels..  :-[ ;D

glad to hear your tyres performing well Aaron :) :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.