Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG on a 2.2 auto  (Read 5712 times)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
LPG on a 2.2 auto
« on: 02 February 2010, 16:11:24 »

After much research on here and a few helpful pms, I'm thinking about getting Trigger's Broom gassed  :o

Anyone else got a gassed 2.2 auto?

What is it like-any power difference?
Real world mpg on gas?
Is it worth doing on a 2000 car with 102k miles?
Will it increase the value?
LPG 65p/litre here-how many miles until cost covered?
Need bootspace-what is range of donut?

Does anyone have a secondhand donut tank or full kit?
How do I get the certificate?  Where?
Anyone fancy the job or had a good pro-job done? Cost?

Thanks to Lazydocker for pm advice so far  :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: LPG on a 2.2 auto
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2010, 16:14:40 »

Just had another pm from LD while posting this post.....reading it now  :y

Welung666

« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2010, 14:41:02 »

If it's a retro-fit I don't mind doing it G :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2010, 14:52:23 »

KenT has, not any different to manuals

LPG is a higher RON than petrol (its about 105) but the knock sensors don't take affect, overall it should be about the same, with maybe a slight loss. Cheaper kits can stuggle at very high RPM's (5.5k+) Stag kit does very well, the bottle neck is the evaporator, make sure this is rated to at least 140/150 bhp

Real world mpg on gas?

20% - 25% less than petrol

Yes i plan to do it on my 2000 133k mile 2.2

This causes dis-agreements, i say no over all, as you are limiting your market, people want the space an Omega has, most likey go up a bit, but not enough to get conversion costs back

Shop around, its 64p at BP near me, its 49p at Asda  :o

200-230 mile range on donut, causes issues reaching rear bulb cluster  :(

I would get brand spankers, i got the whole kit, tank, injectors, pipe work, for £500

Not sure on this, you need to take it to someone to test, who gives you an all is well and safe bit of paper

£500 parts + beer vouchers DIY

£1,000-£2,000 - 'proffesionally' but many garages make a real, hash of it.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2010, 19:05:33 »

KenT has, not any different to manuals

LPG is a higher RON than petrol (its about 105) but the knock sensors don't take affect, overall it should be about the same, with maybe a slight loss. Cheaper kits can stuggle at very high RPM's (5.5k+) Stag kit does very well, the bottle neck is the evaporator, make sure this is rated to at least 140/150 bhp

Real world mpg on gas?

20% - 25% less than petrol

Yes i plan to do it on my 2000 133k mile 2.2

This causes dis-agreements, i say no over all, as you are limiting your market, people want the space an Omega has, most likey go up a bit, but not enough to get conversion costs back

Shop around, its 64p at BP near me, its 49p at Asda  :o

200-230 mile range on donut, causes issues reaching rear bulb cluster  :(

I would get brand spankers, i got the whole kit, tank, injectors, pipe work, for £500

Not sure on this, you need to take it to someone to test, who gives you an all is well and safe bit of paper

£500 parts + beer vouchers DIY

£1,000-£2,000 - 'proffesionally' but many garages make a real, hash of it.

Cheers for that  :y especially range and rear light  :y

Now need to work out how to get money, then find a good cheap kit, then chat to Lazydocker-he's been so helpful, but is a busy man and we are looking at plans, any offers appreciated!

£1000-odd will pay for itself in 12 months, so the sooner the better.

My fear is spending the money and the car getting bumped and only getting minimum trade value back.....losing the huge amount of work already done and also the LPG work.
After two years, the whole car+works+LPG spend will have been covered by the use it has given  :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2010, 19:53:27 »

sadly it is a risk, my worry is that mid conversion it will get struck or something  :-/

DIY is best route, limits any potential loss  :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2010, 21:31:51 »

sadly it is a risk, my worry is that mid conversion it will get struck or something  :-/

DIY is best route, limits any potential loss  :y

The obvious point is after doing all of this work, I must keep the Omega for a good few years, but the economy is killing me.  If I can get a good, cheap gas con done, then it will be the best car for my needs-it will be paid for, reliable and offer bearable running costs.  At 45-50mpg equivalent it will make me fully happy with it and stop looking at alternatives.

Just need to find £££, kit and arrange to get fitted somehow  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2010, 21:36:01 »

Fear not Geoff... We'll get it done sometime :y :y :y

Of course... If you can do weekdays instead of weekends it fits much more easily with my work commitments.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2010, 21:41:46 »

Fear not Geoff... We'll get it done sometime :y :y :y

Of course... If you can do weekdays instead of weekends it fits much more easily with my work commitments.

Cheers LD-will look into holiday owing and give you a bell  :y :y

Cool  8-)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2010, 21:47:03 »

I know mines a 3.2 so totally different ... but I've not bothered with the mpg calculations as IMHO they tell you nothing.

I work on "pence per mile"

Now on petrol I get around 20 mpg average (I do a LOT of towing) and with petrol at £1:11.9 a litre that is £5.08 a gall, it is 25.4 pence a mile in fuel costs.

On gas I get around 16 mph and it is currently 58 p/litre or £2.63 a gall which is 16.4 pence/mile so I'm saving 9 pence a mile.

or look at it another way .... not quite half the cost of petrol !!! (its about 38% in my case)

as I do about 12000 miles a year .. 1000 a month that is a straight £90 a month saving.

Now I actually have the figures for nearly 2 years and as prices rise and fall, and so does consumption depending on driving style and/or towing ... the actual savings over 2 years average at 9 p/mile .. which sort of proves my figures ...  but I have saved over £1700, and I don't do that many miles now, compared to when I had it fitted.

Your figures will differ, but IMHO the best way to do the calculations is on the cost per mile basis.. :)

Now if you do your long trips .. you save even more as I believe LPG price in Poland is very cheap
« Last Edit: 03 February 2010, 21:49:49 by entwood »

fingers21

• march, cambs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2010, 22:11:36 »

I have LPG on my 3.2, 80 litre tank in the boot and still loads of boot space. I have absolutely no difference in power and can't even feel it change between petrol and LPG. I get just short of 370 miles on a full tank of gas that costs me £40(ish) i couldn't afford to run my omega if it didn't have LPG, but with it, is very cost affective, no congestion charge in London either.

One thing, i used gas from one garage and only got 250 on a full tank, BP always gives me max mileage, so shop around.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2010, 23:41:40 »

I have LPG on my 3.2, 80 litre tank in the boot and still loads of boot space. I have absolutely no difference in power and can't even feel it change between petrol and LPG. I get just short of 370 miles on a full tank of gas that costs me £40(ish) i couldn't afford to run my omega if it didn't have LPG, but with it, is very cost affective, no congestion charge in London either.

One thing, i used gas from one garage and only got 250 on a full tank, BP always gives me max mileage, so shop around.

Is that an 80L tank (65 litres to fill) or 80 litres to a fill (100L total tank capacity)? Because 370 miles sounds too good to be true.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2010, 08:03:58 »

I know mines a 3.2 so totally different ... but I've not bothered with the mpg calculations as IMHO they tell you nothing.

I work on "pence per mile"

Now on petrol I get around 20 mpg average (I do a LOT of towing) and with petrol at £1:11.9 a litre that is £5.08 a gall, it is 25.4 pence a mile in fuel costs.

On gas I get around 16 mph and it is currently 58 p/litre or £2.63 a gall which is 16.4 pence/mile so I'm saving 9 pence a mile.

or look at it another way .... not quite half the cost of petrol !!! (its about 38% in my case)

as I do about 12000 miles a year .. 1000 a month that is a straight £90 a month saving.

Now I actually have the figures for nearly 2 years and as prices rise and fall, and so does consumption depending on driving style and/or towing ... the actual savings over 2 years average at 9 p/mile .. which sort of proves my figures ...  but I have saved over £1700, and I don't do that many miles now, compared to when I had it fitted.

Your figures will differ, but IMHO the best way to do the calculations is on the cost per mile basis.. :)

Now if you do your long trips .. you save even more as I believe LPG price in Poland is very cheap

Very useful-cheers :y

LPG in Poland is about 40p litre-much cheaper than petrol

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2010, 08:04:41 »

Did not know that  :o

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2010, 08:17:44 »

Did not know that  :o

I didn't think any Omegas other than the factory fit 2.0 wer on the Powershift Register, which is the only way to get exempion (or have they changed that) :-/ :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.