Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG on a 2.2 auto  (Read 5711 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: LPG on a 2.2 auto
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2010, 22:41:44 »

Just had a quote for a full kit fitted, very helpful and knowledgable chap said £950 inc vat, with 3 yr warranty and certificate for the insurers, choice of tanks in stock:

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/servicesandprices.html

He said to arrive 0800, ready 1900hrs can borrow a car free to explore the local area, once I have picked the tank and chosen the gauge and filler location.

I have had lots of offers of help to do this, but mindful of needing time/holiday to fit, getting a certificate (£100 from local installer to check/cert), the cost of parts and the faff getting everything.

After research, £950 seems to be the going fitted rate on a 4pot now-I was expecting £1500++

Any thoughts?  :-/

11 hours to do the whole job ??? Not IMHO .. :(

When my professional install was done they wanted the car for 4 days ...  and the DIY guys will tell you it takes a decent amount of time
« Last Edit: 18 February 2010, 22:43:11 by entwood »

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2010, 08:22:37 »

have you thought about gettng it professionally fitted in Lodz next time you are over there Geoff?

;)

Yes it would be cheaper, but no comeback, no certificate and in the 4 months before I go, I will have saved £300++

Good thought though  :y

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2010, 08:43:27 »

Just had a quote for a full kit fitted, very helpful and knowledgable chap said £950 inc vat, with 3 yr warranty and certificate for the insurers, choice of tanks in stock:

http://www.professautogas.co.uk/servicesandprices.html

He said to arrive 0800, ready 1900hrs can borrow a car free to explore the local area, once I have picked the tank and chosen the gauge and filler location.

I have had lots of offers of help to do this, but mindful of needing time/holiday to fit, getting a certificate (£100 from local installer to check/cert), the cost of parts and the faff getting everything.

After research, £950 seems to be the going fitted rate on a 4pot now-I was expecting £1500++

Any thoughts?  :-/

They appear to do a good job, BUT... they don't remove the inlet manifold to drill & tap the injectors!!!! :-?

I'm guessing this leaves swarf somewhere it should not?

How do you know??

Should I be worried?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2010, 09:12:36 »

i would strongly advise against going to a 'proffesional' install place, as members found out before (Danny) they are far from proffesional.

Drilling and tapping the holes for the injectors must send a lot of crap down the manifold  :-/ Get away with it, but its not the way it should be done  :-/

Go DIY, maybe if we get enough LPG experts we could convert 2 cars? I shall be doing mine when the experts have some free time (Lazydocker / James / KevinW)

I am happy to host if you need a garage, depends what LD/James thoughts are on converting 2 cars at the same time  :-/

Should be a bit easier both being 4 potters...

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2010, 09:22:35 »

i would strongly advise against going to a 'proffesional' install place, as members found out before (Danny) they are far from proffesional.

Drilling and tapping the holes for the injectors must send a lot of crap down the manifold  :-/ Get away with it, but its not the way it should be done  :-/

Go DIY, maybe if we get enough LPG experts we could convert 2 cars? I shall be doing mine when the experts have some free time (Lazydocker / James / KevinW)

I am happy to host if you need a garage, depends what LD/James thoughts are on converting 2 cars at the same time  :-/

Should be a bit easier both being 4 potters...

This is what I would prefer to do, but I have no spare time as all holiday allowance is taken by Polish trips and my wife works weekends so I look after my son.

I have had very long conversations with LD but the problem of doing this together is time off, having to source parts when I have no clue, not having the insurance certificate and no warranty-even though it will be a better job and I would like to learn how it is done.

Not sure what to do, but the option of driving 50 miles and getting a guaranteed job done in one Saturday, where I can take my wife and son for a day out in their courtesy car, then get a warranty and certificate for £950inc vat looks appealing at the moment  :-/

I'm at my wits end presently as the Omega is destroying our finances and I need a fix.  Before the LPG is done, welung666 is going to look at the poor mpg and replace the cat again-all time!!

All I want is a family car that just works and does not bankrupt me  :y

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2010, 10:32:47 »

The tapping in situ is not a brilliant idea. The damage a small bit of swarf could do if it got sucked in would not be nice. Thats why I sent my spare manifold to Tunnie, so he can get it drilled and tapped in advance, so fitting the manifold and solenoids can be done in a few hours, easily one evening. The rest can be similarly done in stages, each stage taking a day at most.

You don't want to overload Kevin drilling and tapping lots of manifolds, but I'm sure any decent engineering shop could drill and tap 4 holes for not a lot. There are plenty pictures where to fit injectors on a 2.2 manifold.

I found the hardest bit was sourcing a suitable vertical tank. The rest of the bits are easily obtainable, and it cost me about £400 in total, although I could have saved £40 by going to another, cheaper certification place.

The other advantage of doing it your self is you know how it was done, and so are able to solve any problems that may occur. If a garage does it you don't know what they have or haven't done.

Ken
« Last Edit: 19 February 2010, 10:52:27 by Ken_T »
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 February 2010, 10:37:31 »

Here are pics of Gas Car Co installation on a Mig
http://www.gascarco.com/gallery/album38?page=1

Ken

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2010, 10:49:37 »

The tapping in situ is not a brilliant idea....

An understatement ;)

The amount of swarf that is generated drilling and tapping these holes is significant. If the aluminium gets caught between valve and seat (highly likely, the first time you turn the engine over!) that valve will never seal properly and the engine will never perform correctly until rebuilt. The swarf that gets into the cylinder will likely lodge between piston and bore and cause scoring.

This is why engines have air filters. Any ingress of debris into them kills them!

I would run a mile from anyone who claims to be able to tap manifolds in-situ.

Quite apart from the likely engine damage, you have no way of knowing how the nozzle will protrude into the intake tract, whether it will clear gasket surfaces, etc. and how its' "aim" will relate to the incoming airflow.

Here are the steps involved in doing the job properly - possible with the manifold on the engine? I'll let you decide. (and I'm quite happy to do manifolds if members can get them, and the nozzles, to me).

Grind a little flat to start with

Drill the hole, starting small and opening out to 5mm.

Completed hole

A bit of cutting paste on the tap

.. and tap the hole

Clean up around the back of the hole so the nozzle has somewhere to seat.

Insert the nozzle with a little threadlock

A 3mm drill bit or allen key helps with alignment to avoid cross-threading.

One down, five to go.

Clean up the area around the nozzle to help airflow.

Position of nozzles as they emerge.

Smooth off the face of the manifold, especially where the gasket seals.

.. and the swarf that I washed off it afterwards. This is why you don't let a cowboy drill them in-situ. :o

Kevin
« Last Edit: 19 February 2010, 10:52:08 by Kevin_Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2010, 12:43:24 »

:o :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks Kevin!

Anyone got any better ideas?  I could run to £950 with a certificate, but don't want to damage the car  :-/

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2010, 13:38:10 »

Just rang Professauto back to see if they do take off the manifold and as said, they don't-which is alarming considering the above photos.

I have spoken to welung666 who says a cert costs about £70 and DIY may be best afterall-once the cat is replaced next week.

Not sure what to do  :-?

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 February 2010, 14:18:02 »

Just rang Lazydockers supplier contact; waiting for price.

May be worth getting an LPG fitting meet together with mine, Tunnie, MickAP; with the help of welung666 and lazydocker; pms being sent now  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 February 2010, 14:27:34 »

Just rang Professauto back to see if they do take off the manifold and as said, they don't-which is alarming considering the above photos.

I have spoken to welung666 who says a cert costs about £70 and DIY may be best afterall-once the cat is replaced next week.

Not sure what to do  :-?

AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2010, 14:31:14 »

Now trying to set up an LPG fitting meet, see new thread  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 February 2010, 14:34:31 »

Just rang Lazydockers supplier contact; waiting for price.

May be worth getting an LPG fitting meet together with mine, Tunnie, MickAP; with the help of welung666 and lazydocker; pms being sent now  :y

Replied  :y

Happy to host here, double garage, well lit, can fit 2 in at a time  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.