Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Spark Plugs?  (Read 1823 times)

Duke01

• Southampton
    • 03 3.2 Elite Lpg
    • View Profile
Which Spark Plugs?
« on: 12 January 2020, 12:23:39 »

Ive read previous posts, am i right that the twin electrodes are best for a 3.2? (Lpg fitted, not in use but soon to be fixed)
The ones fitted are bosch 4 electrodes, sometimes getting a missfire first thing, but not that often.
It clears soon after.
Coils are  genuine bosch, about 4 years old..

So i was thinking Ngk BKR6EK? Which i believe are twins..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Which Spark Plugs?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2020, 12:35:45 »

I've used both on LPG and found little difference. If there's a misfire occasionally, then I'd look elsewhere for issues, to be honest.

Those NGK plugs will be fine on LPG and you can get them for sensible money. :y I used to run them for 40k on LPG and change them at cam belt time. They came out still looking new.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Duke01

• Southampton
    • 03 3.2 Elite Lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2020, 12:47:17 »

Thanks Kevin.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2020, 15:40:17 »

I use the recommended genuine GM plugs in my 3.2's with no issues; admittedly not converted to LPG, but they are cheap enough to buy from VX dealers over the counter.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2020, 18:22:40 »

The ones recommend for a 3.2 are 4 electrodes, which shield the spark, great for longevity, but not performance, or lpg, can cause a slight misfire. Hence why the twin electrodes are better, as fitted to the 3.0L. those are what I always used, NGK.bkr6es,. I think that's what Mr Kevin said.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2020, 22:24:56 »

The ones recommend for a 3.2 are 4 electrodes, which shield the spark, great for longevity, but not performance, or lpg, can cause a slight misfire. Hence why the twin electrodes are better, as fitted to the 3.0L. those are what I always used, NGK.bkr6es,. I think that's what Mr Kevin said.

as often quoted, but the 4 electrode plugs are the same style as twin .... just 4 so I just don't see how

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2020, 01:00:16 »

Four points of shielding versus two... There's only so much surface area around the core ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2020, 10:42:54 »

Four points of shielding versus two... There's only so much surface area around the core ;)

that.

It used to be common on tuned engines to clock the spark plugs so the electrode masked as little of the combustion chamber as possible. Modern mapped distributorless ignitions and fuel injection have dramatically improved ignition performance, although I still like to replace the plugs every other service. NGK or Bosch for me usually at less than £2 each, unless they're for  a Mitsubishi GDI

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2020, 14:16:31 »

..... NGK or Bosch for me usually at less than £2 each, unless they're for  a Mitsubishi GDI

Last plugs I bought were for my Smart Roadster. I was already in Mercedes so thought I'd get them while I was there ... something like £35 for the 6   :o

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2020, 21:30:41 »

..... NGK or Bosch for me usually at less than £2 each, unless they're for  a Mitsubishi GDI

Last plugs I bought were for my Smart Roadster. I was already in Mercedes so thought I'd get them while I was there ... something like £35 for the 6   :o

GDIs use 4, but that's all they're listed for. I was quoted nearly £50 over 10 years ago :o

Mitsubishi translates as "the cars are OK, and the parts are oppsing expensive"

Duke01

• Southampton
    • 03 3.2 Elite Lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2020, 08:05:40 »

Cheers guys.
It looks to me as 2.6 and 3.2 use bkr6equp and 2.5 3.0 use
Bkr6ek.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2020, 17:29:33 »

Changing to NGK plugs or any other make is not some magic panacea for your misfire, unless you happen to have a faulty plug. Find the cause of the misfire and rectify. An ongoing misfire can cause fatal damage to the cats.

Factory plugs were Bosch FLR8LDCU (twin pole) and Bosch FGR8KQE0 (quad pole). Multi-pole plugs were used to increase the service interval and so reduce the cost of ownership in the first three years, all to keep fleet managers / leasing companies happy. Similar rationale also brought long life anti-freeze and long life ATF etc etc. It's nothing to do with engine performance.

Also GM Opel Vauxhall branded plugs for the Omega were sometimes supplied as re-branded Beru rather than Bosch in a GM wrapper.

Aside from long life, Platinum / Iridium electrodes are also intended to protect the cats by reducing electrode wear and reducing the chances of a misfire. Regular renewal of the plugs has the same effect. Some later Vauxhalls have factory NGK Platinum Irridium plugs.

The NGK equivalent of the quad pole seems to be BKR5EQUPA.

I wouldn't bother to use the four pole plugs unless you're planning on never changing them again. Put the dual pole plugs in, either Bosch or Beru and change them every 20K miles or so.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2020, 17:33:40 by Enceladus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.