Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 153835 times)

ted_one

Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #660 on: 18 June 2012, 08:43:14 »

I'm in total agreement with you're comments and if it was'nt for the forum I think it would have been impossible to keep my 3 cars in the condition that they are now,and it's guys like Daz and Rob G who for me hold a wealth of knowledge and do'nt hold back when called on for assistance, and of course the large membership who willingly chip in with their own experiences.There's always going to be wind up merchants and moaners no matter what or where,but in general the Forum is an invaluable tool for keeping a dwindling number of cars on the road and for me it will be a sad day when there just wont be enough cars to support its existence BUT then I'm OLD!! and probably wont be around to see it happen ::)

OOMV6

« Reply #661 on: 18 June 2012, 13:20:03 »

Why do people buy Omega's? I am curious ..
OOOMV6 made a rather irrational, partially veiled insulting comment about 'moaning old gits' and although I am old I do not really think his newbie over the top irrational comment was justified. Probably like many of us older members I have little doubt that it will be the same moaning old gits with the experience that will be expected to solve or advise on any of his problems when his time comes. Please give a little thought to comments and how they will make other members react before posting things worded like that one was.

Whatever forum you go on, and I am a member of quite a few, there will always be those who believe they are more knowledgable than others but few who are actually time served apprentices or technitions whose advice will be vitutually always correct or based on practical experience by having done the job themselves and not just assisted somone else with it! I base that particular comment on experiences I have had in replies to my own questions which when acted on cost me money that I need not have spent because the advice was partially incorrect or just plain wrong so it cannot be disputed. Quite a lot of it I reckon is down to trying to achieve a high post count to raise their own self esteem or forum value. That comment does NOT apply to the General Discussion area but it does apply to the General Help one where serious questions for help should be met with replies of the same seriousness.
I have no doubt that this post will bring a large share of replies from those of whom the cap fits well as they try to get me to justify or aplogise for my comments. If so they will be wasting their time.
Perhaps a referendum of the more regular posters, or a new panel of members would be the way to go because it is the regular posters who keep the forum going even if everyone does not like their posts. I dare say that there would be a massive list of applicants, I would not be one of them, and could probably name a lot of them too. Perhaps there might even be panel of proven apprenticeship served 'experts' too to weed out the poor ocassional advice....that is probably wishfull thinking though ;)

Bionic,

I'll take the opportunity to clarify. I assume it is my response in post number 7, maybe elsewhere too.

I really do think about what I'm typing, knowing, as we all do, the problems of written comments rather than face to face. Many a time, I have written, re-read, deleted, altered, or even refrained from commenting. I am aware of how readers will receive what I have written and do give this thought.

The comment was not an ageist comment.

The term "moaning old gits" or similar is simply referring to the general sense of negativity which resounds around the forum, whether it be from a member in their 60s or more, or from a 20 something year old. This could be about the price of milk, the SKY TV reception, the EU rule on the shape of a banana, The Schengen agreement, the brightness of a brake light, the street light outside my home, the lack of street light outside my home...... really whatever the subject, except the obvious ones such as a baby born into a members' family. Really, I am often astounded (and it's not only on OOF obviously, in life generally) how quickly people are ready, happy and willing to jump on the negative, criticism bandwagon.

I would also take this opportunity to point out, as I have previously, the potentially issues with the "titles" being used, and as such, the judgements thereafter.

From your post you refer to yourself as old. Ok, that's how you see it, as someone in their 60s. You are shown to be an Omega Knight. So, you have experience, you are older than me by some years. You also refer to, as I have, my relative "newbie" status. Also I am sure you can see that I am 20 odd years younger than you. From these observations, you appear to have deduced that you "oldies" may come to my assistance in the future. You may well do, that's true. And if you do I will of course appreciate it. But the younger members may also help. In fact, maybe I will need very little help as perhaps I already know a load about the Omega - or maybe I don't.

To clarify, my point is two-fold.

Moaning old gits can be any age. There just is far too much negatively in the world as a whole. Maybe I should remove the word OLD.

Titles relating to the amount of posts don't help IMO. What they can show is a) the poster is an Admin or Mod, or b) the person is very knowledgable on the Omega and is very willing to share that knowledge, or c) they are unemployed, or d) they are single, and on and on and on. Loads of reasons. However, they do have the potential to cause people to make statements / judgements such as the one you made, ..."I have little doubt that it will be the same moaning old gits with the experience that will be expected to solve or advise on any of his problems when his time comes.", based on little or no information.

Finally, referring to your last paragraph. Bad idea. Mods / Admins - they run it, so leave them to it. If you were in a job, where you could not agree with your boss, you'd either leave or accept whatever you did not agree with. Same here.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 18 June 2012, 13:57:48 »

I'm really only just picking up on the mechanics of the site. I have to say, without the information, I would have scrapped my 2001 Omega, which I've owned since 2001 by the way. I have tackled all the 'nasty' jobs personally and would not have done so without the information support network from you lot! I hope this helps and let's sort out any 'downers' because if you are like me, you want as many Omegas on the road as possible with as many many spares supporting it. The best car I've ever owned by a country mile.

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 18 June 2012, 17:23:22 »

;) OOMV6, My comment was made as a direct result of what you had wrote and on nothing else. Instead of accepting that the wording might have caused offence you simply went on to nitpick at my post. I too think before I write and I stand by what I posted. I spent far too many years in the trade both as an employee and then as an employer and saw and heard far too much bull and bad practice associated with bad advice. If you were to think about it I would be surprised if you had not seen and heard the same even though your years are far lesser than mine. In life you never stop learning but there are small, but sadly growing minority who have nothing left to learn and always know it all, or at least give advice based on that premise.
I am jacking the back up again tomorrow, weather pertmitting, to see what I can do about the exhaust and also to have another look at the suspension and take some pics for my album of work done to this miggy. Bet it rains now I have said it  ::)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 18 June 2012, 19:45:16 »

One of many reasons why this thread was started and why "clique" has been mentioned on several occasions.
This was posted yesterday evening http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=104290.0 As we all know, in it`s amended form was against the rules. OP was advised (told) to add a price or prices for the various permutations (since disappeared/removed) he was suggesting this afternoon. Seems strange that other sales threads with "offers invited" are more often than not edited within a very short space of time :-X
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 18 June 2012, 20:40:18 »

One of many reasons why this thread was started and why "clique" has been mentioned on several occasions.
This was posted yesterday evening http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=104290.0 As we all know, in it`s amended form was against the rules. OP was advised (told) to add a price or prices for the various permutations (since disappeared/removed) he was suggesting this afternoon. Seems strange that other sales threads with "offers invited" are more often than not edited within a very short space of time :-X

Probably very little to do with cliques or conspiracy theory ... but a lot more to do with Admins actually having lives outside of OOF and having more important things to do than referee tiffs !! :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 18 June 2012, 20:53:20 »

2 admin team currently in French France.

3 of the remaining 4 have work to contend with during the day and at least one of them travels throughout Europe regularly.

The last has a busy family home to contend with and had already posted on the thread in question.

It will be dealt with in a similar fashion to others have been previously.   :y

modify - thread now deleted, since OP has seen and responded suitably to requests.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2012, 20:58:46 by hotel21 »

feeutfo

« Reply #667 on: 18 June 2012, 20:59:02 »

Thread removed by admin. Now, can we get on...?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 19 June 2012, 01:54:21 »

The Parts For Sale Area, in my opinion most do not use it thinking of others. If we all posted one thread per item that your selling how many pages who there be?
Thought the idea of one thread and posting your parts in it was the idea..... Obviously not.
Tempted to do like alot do and have several going at once
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 19 June 2012, 08:12:46 »

One thing we should all allow for is the the hard working Admin team and Moderators, both good and not so good all give their free time to this forum and should not be expected to simply devote their whole lives to it! Those members who think otherwise are the selfish ones and need to get a life outside of the forum too because some probably post simply to add to their post count.
Well done and many thanx to the Admin and Moderators without whose time and skills the forum would not exist :y
Nuff said, and as pleasantly as I could.................
One other comment I can make about the sales area is that for the most part many of the items offered for sale I have found can be found far cheaper elsewhere in private ads and on the bidding sites so have a good look around before you buy. Ask around local breakers too cos many of them have a miggy or two that they don not know they still have.  Some oof sellers really do try to help others in need but no doubt some profiteers are here on this forum too knowing that the miggy is becoming more scarce with each passing year.
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

feeutfo

« Reply #670 on: 19 June 2012, 21:00:58 »

Seems we have a new admin
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=103611.0

I wonder when the admin team where going to announce this to the community...?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 19 June 2012, 21:34:39 »

Seems we have a new admin
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=103611.0

I wonder when the admin team where going to announce this to the community...?

??? ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

feeutfo

« Reply #672 on: 19 June 2012, 21:42:17 »

And post 664 above.

And ...

And, etc.

No interest in the sale? Why is the post there?

feeutfo

« Reply #673 on: 19 June 2012, 21:43:10 »

If we are following the guidelines to the letter...?

albitz

« Reply #674 on: 20 June 2012, 08:48:44 »

I and many others find Rob to be the most helpful member on the forum.He has a lot of knowledge and is always willing to share it.He doesnt seem to have an agenda,or want to use the forum to gratify a large ego.Just helpful for its own sake. Imo he would be an excellent addition to the moderators team. A very good idea.  :y
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.