Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will they fit...?  (Read 4478 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Will they fit...?
« on: 13 July 2016, 07:12:32 »

Will the springs off a MV6 estate fit a saloon....?

Im thinking of replaceing the lowered springs on my Omega for a set that are not quite as low, and then re-instating the SL shocks. We're planning on doing quite a bit of touring over the next couple of weeks with our tintent and was wanting to give the Omega a better chance of handling the weight of the caravan better......
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Will they fit...?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2016, 07:15:10 »

Front, yes.

Rear, no.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2016, 07:40:08 »

I presumed the fronts would fit, so that confirms that...

Why wont the rears fit....? Are they too short....? Or too stiff...? Or too long etc..... :y
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2016, 08:04:16 »

Or not nearly strong enough

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2016, 09:30:00 »

Right, first of all Estate rear springs will fit saloons. It's the same car/chassis/floorpan etc. Further borne out by the fact a mate of mine ran his Elite with Estate springs for a year or two. It is/was a common mod for local taxi drivers to stick the Estate springs on the saloons, as this got round...
-three generous-sized rear passengers
-generous-sized punters plus their luggage
-local speed bumps
...rather nicely.

I am sure that when blitzed round a test track The Stig will be able to reach the conclusion than a completely unladen saloon on estate springs will feel a fraction more 'floaty' or 'bouncy' at the rear, but once you have some luggage, rear occupants, or... a caravan to tow, I'm pretty sure that Silverstone Trackdays are out anyway  ;)

Rewind a few years - before the advent of 'self-levelling rear suspension' - and you'd be advised to fit stiffer springs, or an extra leaf if you intended to tow regularly anyway.  :y

As for standard estate springs combined with self-levelling shocks that may not work so 'happy'. The SL system will constantly read the back axle as high, and try and compensate. The proper SL springs are softer, and of course lower than estate.

Now as for MV6 estate springs, I'd presume they're lower than normal estate springs, but still a little higher than saloon MV6.

But really only SL springs want to be used with SL shocks. SL springs alone, with normal shocks tends to leave the rear end rather low and 'soggy'  :)
« Last Edit: 13 July 2016, 09:32:09 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2016, 09:49:18 »

Thats a better answer for me DBG :y

I'll be reinstating the SL airshocks and system, with the MV6 estate springs...

I'm not intending to throw it around any test track, with or without a caravan attached LOL

The wife has told me to stop using the family car as a race car, and use my weekend toy instead (Classic Mini)...

So, because we intend to do a tad more touring than we did last year AND my bones are getting older now, Im contemplating putting the suspension back to normal-ish but with a 'sporty'ish fell to it (for me)...

If it wallows around like a boat as it used to when I first got the Omega, I'll take of the SL shockers and re-install the Bilstein rear shocks ....

I believe a bit of trial and error is in my future....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2016, 09:54:45 »

Very welcome, lad  :y

You coming to Billing, did you say?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2016, 10:03:02 »

If you want it to drive at normal height but a bit stiffer and use your s/l shocks try and get some police springs. I had the s/l shocks and police springs on mine and it drove and cornered well enough. I have since put b4 shocks on but thats because i wanted it a stiffer at the back.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2016, 10:10:22 »

No not doing Billing this year, had issues with where we was 'put' and people not shutting up until 4AM right next to us, even after me asking them to be quiet and then ended up telling them to be quiet...

I would go back, but the wife has said she doesn't want to go again because of last years experience...

So once and only time for me was last year.... shame really TBH... but gotta put the wifes feelings before mine really...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2016, 10:12:52 »

@ Pauls - At the moment Im on lowered APEX springs with Bilstein B4's all round... It handles well enough for a big car and corners well but I dont want it to act like a ruddy boat again when I go back to bigger springs... If it comes to it, I'll keep the MV6 springs installed but change from SL to normal suspension and make do with it.. I also use the spring assisters too, just to give the springs a bit of help...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2016, 10:26:54 »

I thought apex springs where lowering springs(40mm lower than standard) and actually shorter the mv6 springs. Police springs are standard height just stiifer. please correct me if Iam wrong  :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 July 2016, 10:32:16 »

Apex springs are lowering springs yes, the MV6 springs are a tad lower than standard springs...

If I can find a set of Police springs for a good price I might fit them instead, or have them as back-up :y
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2016, 10:59:34 »

@Dbg. All I will say is that the floor pans are different from the rear of the rear footwells back...

Not just a question of longer springs... Due to the geometry of the rear shocks, the whole rear end behaves differently... Also the trailing arms are different saloon to estate.

Expect it to handle like an empty pick up if you fit HD estate springs...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2016, 11:51:13 »

Fair dos. But the critical variable here is the car won't be empty, and if you're driving in a style which in any way tests the chassis to said limits, then you've got a wildly skidding caravan behind risking ripping the towbar from the floorpan as top priority  :o If the question were "I'm off on a trackday in a fortnight, got some old estate springs I might chuck on, what do we reckon?" then I'd certainly advice against it for best results and suggest OEM saloon spec and agree wholeheartedly with yourself.

All I can say is done it, it works. And my mate has done it for years on dozens of cars, and it works.

Fully appreciate there are fractional differences in the floorpan, the orientation of the shocks, and subsequent different bolt location for shocks.  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2016, 21:40:58 »

Springs a measured in lbs, and have a rate, 
Now with out a spring tester, it's difficult to see the differences between saloon and estate, probably 50lbs between them.

Would take to long to go into the science. but during the war we use to fit CF van front springs to mantas, about 900 front 375/425 rear and billiys all round. :y
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.