Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: windscreen wipers  (Read 1589 times)

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
windscreen wipers
« on: 08 November 2008, 23:50:09 »

My newly purchased Omega has got unsolved issues with the windscreen wipers. The wipers are only wiping like 70% of the expected stroke and this is causing reduced visual outsight.
 I have tried losening the nut securing the blade, moving the blade an inch up from the lowest point of the stroke, but this resulted (as expected) in no increase of the actual stroke, only moving the stroke 1inch further up.
The linkarms looks ok, but I dont have any knowledge about this, so I didn't want to start dismantling the linkarms before I knew if this actually had a meaning.  
So.. How do i fix this? And which part of the arrangement should i pay attention to? do I need to exchange any parts?

Kind regards
Geirmund

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
Re: windscreen wipers
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2008, 23:57:35 »

This may seem like a daft answer but are the arms on the correct sides :question.

The one with the bigger angel should be on the driver's side :).

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2008, 00:28:11 »

now dont quote me to much on this koz my memorys crap. But i saw a post about 2 arrows on the wiper mechanism need to face each other?!?! Or something like that. Never paid attention to it when i had the scuttle off so cant help further, if you can call that help at all. Hope that er, helps?
« Last Edit: 09 November 2008, 00:29:41 by chrisgixer »

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2008, 08:57:28 »

hi bud i had same prob on my estate when i got her after much effort moving the arms up and down it still didnt work right then i was told its the link arms at the connection with the motor
the nut works loose and the blades will not go there full sweep remove the scuttle and u will see the motor a bit of fiddling and make sure the nut is now tight  :y and u will have them working right again  :y

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2008, 23:11:50 »

Thanks for all replies, I wanted to include a picture of the assembly, but it seems like I'm not granted access to image uploads yet. This way to pinpoint the exact nut. How to I get permission to that anyway?
I'll try this solution of yours first thing in the morning :)

Bandit127

« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2008, 23:27:18 »

Thanks for all replies, I wanted to include a picture of the assembly, but it seems like I'm not granted access to image uploads yet. This way to pinpoint the exact nut. How to I get permission to that anyway?
I'll try this solution of yours first thing in the morning :)
Nobody can. You have to post somewhere else and link it in.

Good how-to here.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215723122

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2008, 18:09:19 »

Ok I see.
However, I have discovered the link arms connection point to the motor, and of course the specified nut. I tried to tighten up this nut, but I soon concluded that the nut was already tightened to full torque.
So i loosened the motor competely to investigete the spindel condition. The spindel looks fine to me, and I will assemble the motor again tomorrow only exchanging the plain nut with a nylock nut to avoid woory about the nut gets loose in the future.
My next step in this unsolved mystery is to dismantle the linkarms assembly.
Any hints what to look for?

About those wiperarms, someone suggested to make sure I had the correct wiperarm on the correct side. I have checked this matter, however I didn't find the arrows mentioned....

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2008, 00:19:14 »

Is this the nut that you were refering to andyb?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2008, 08:32:51 »

Also make sure the three securing bolts around that assembly which hold the motor to the frame are nice and tight.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2008, 09:47:48 »

On a similar subject does anyone know if you can drop the motor out with the frame in place or does the whole frame have to come out? That photo almost suggests you could undo the 3 mountings, remove the crank from the spindle and take the motor out.

Kevin
(with very intermittent wipe at the moment ::))
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2008, 11:19:24 »

hi bud i had same prob on my estate when i got her after much effort moving the arms up and down it still didnt work right then i was told its the link arms at the connection with the motor
the nut works loose and the blades will not go there full sweep remove the scuttle and u will see the motor a bit of fiddling and make sure the nut is now tight  :y and u will have them working right again  :y

You really need fix that Avatar!

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2008, 15:40:03 »

I have now dismantled the linkarm assembly but there is no obvious reason to why this should not work. There is very litle play in the ball joints and also in the spindel bearing (bush).
So I would guess the next step is to grease it up, clean the spindels and mount it again. This time consider to apply somehow correct torque on the spindel nuts.
And yes, the motor can be removed without loosening the bracket, but I dont see any reasons for not removing it. The bracket are tighten up with just a few bolts.
Hopes the picture works.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2008, 15:50:08 »

And yes, the motor can be removed without loosening the bracket, but I dont see any reasons for not removing it.

Thanks. I have to replace my motor and I have a bit of LPG gubbins under there that could make it tricky. I'll probably take the whole lot out and grease it up while I'm at it anyway.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2008, 19:31:32 »

Unfortunately I did not find any solution for this problem. I inspected the whole linkarms bracket without detecting any sever damages or worn out parts. The only thing worn was the bush bearing of the spindels and the spindel shafts itself, but not more than could be suspected.  
However, I have spent a lot of time thinking and troubleshooting.
It seems to me that the small flatsteel (with two 90 degrees angels) and a conial drilling connecting the linkarm to the motor is the main link to determine the stroke. In other words, if I move the conial drilling then the linkarm would have to travel a furter distance to obtain the 360degrees of the motor spindel. Another solution would be to bend the flatsteel.

I belive this his will increase the total stroke of the wipers. I have purchased a spare linkarm kit at Ebay.cu.uk, hopes this will work out better, in the mean time I will carry on the troubelshooting to repair the old one ;)

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2008, 23:41:13 »

Time to finish up this thread. The solution was simple.
- a complete dismount, carefully prising off the ball joints
- Cleaning all the parts
- Bending the last link between motor and linkarms juuust a litle to make a longer circular travelling distance
- grease up all the ball joints, I acctually filled up the ball joint holes with grease before pushing the ball head into its place, squeesing out what is not needed

While assembly on the car I observed the travelling distance on the spindles, simulating the motor running. This to obtain the perfect spot to tighten up the nut on the motor spindle against the connection link. The perfect spot is of course the absolute turning point of the linkarms.
Then mount the wiperarms on the spindles, on drivers side I think it should be approx 55mm from the bottom line of the windshield to the center of the hook-on of the wiperarms. Correct me if I'm wrong ppl.

Well this is the end of this thread for me, I have learned a lot, thanks for all the creative suggestions, hope this could be helpful for others as well. Perhaps not the corect way to do it in a car mechanics eyes, but hey, it worked for me:)

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2008, 06:18:38 »

Well done Shagma, good thread!   :y
Sorry was not of more help earlier, i have since had a look at my set up and purchased the 2 rose joint link arms. The bottom rubber on the screen had come away allowing water to fill the rose joints. A far bit of play on the old ones. I didnt see any arrows either so not sure where i got that from. :-/

So your issue was caused by a bent link arm to the motor?  

Shagma

• Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 January 2009, 08:54:31 »

I belive that the main reason for decreased stroke on MY setup was the misshaped flatsteel link, but I also recognize lack of grease in ball joint bearings as an additional factor. However, I have a hard time figure out how or when this flatsteel might have been misshaped in the first plase.... Perhaps running wiper motor on icecovered windscreen...? I don't know, but there is no doubt that the car has been ignored by previous owner. Not cosmetic but technical.

I cleaned out the drains undeneith the scuttle since I already had it removed, it was completely stuck, now it drains like a charm:)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.