Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What code reader do i need?  (Read 11227 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: What code reader do i need?
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2024, 11:13:58 »

obviously if the car has stood for a while with old fuel in the original fuel may have gone off .  modern fuel doesnt last long. although the new fuel now put in may mix and help a little .( it may run better once this has come through ?) if you have access  to a fuel pressure tester then it wouldnt hurt to confirm pressure is there and correct .
charging the battery fully obviously wont be an issue but doesnt sound like your problem here.
maybee clear the codes and see if they come back. also check the cam sensor connection !.
can you keep it running by holding a little throttle ?

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2024, 14:53:28 »

I dont have a fuel pressure tester but maybe my friend has 1, my next course of action will be charge the battery therefore keeping it with no power at all maybe let it reset, try starting it if no luck I will check cam sensor. Anyhow does the pedal trick reset codes as well or do I need another tool, I saw earlier that 1 guy said my Carly probably won’t do the trick.
Also thanks a lot to everyone who’s been answering and teaching :) :)

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2024, 14:56:38 »

Oh I missed a question no matter where I go with Revs it’s like it stops sparking or something

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2024, 15:19:38 »

AIUI it became illegal on Jan 1st 2001 to sell a petrol car in Europe that wasn't OBDii compliant. 2004 for a diesel. Opel would have been making the petrol and maybe also the diesels from at least through 2000, since some completed cars could sit in the supply chain for months before they were sold and registered.

I've never seen a Carly diag tool. However if it's OBDii then it probably does work on a 2.2 petrol Omega. Certainly all Z22XE Omegas should work and maybe earlier Y22XE as well.

Have you actually tried the Carly on the car? You might not be able to get all the functionality of a Tech-2. However it should easily reset the P0340 and maybe explain/reset the mystery P0180 which doesn't seem to be used on an Omega. That P0340 code comes on permanently if it's repeatedly triggered more than a pre-set threshold value. So reset and see does it appear again. 

Three years off the road and the fuel is going to be well bad. Diluting it with fresh petrol might well help, if you can flush it through to the front. Hindsight I know, but it might have been better to drain or pump out the tank before putting in the 17L of fresh.

If it stopped sparking then I'm pretty sure you'd see another error code. I suppose you could remove the ignition module and check the spark plug wells for oil and/or water. That's a 10 minute job and doesn't cost anything. You could even check the plugs.

« Last Edit: 30 January 2024, 15:34:09 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2024, 15:25:33 »

Oh I missed a question no matter where I go with Revs it’s like it stops sparking or something
The immobiliser will cut the power to the fuel pump. The initial prime is a function of switching the ignition to position 2 so that the engine is ready to run if all the criteria are met after cranking. Basically there's enough fuel pressure at cranking to make it run for a moment.

That said a weak pump might deliver enough fuel to prime the rail but not enough to sustain an idle. So there's potential for several items causing the same effect.

A weak battery isn't one of them.

Fuel pressure is easily checked on the 4pots. Anything less than a blast of fuel after priming suggests a weak pump.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2024, 15:27:13 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2024, 15:35:12 »

Or the pump might be gummed up with old fuel.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 January 2024, 16:11:20 »

Or the pump might be gummed up with old fuel.
Net result is the same.

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 January 2024, 17:25:59 »

I will go over the spark plugs and I will test the Carly then I will post results :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2024, 18:28:02 »

AIUI it became illegal on Jan 1st 2001 to sell a petrol car in Europe that wasn't OBDii compliant.
Not strictly true. EU cars had to be EOBD compliant, not OBDII.  They are very, very similar, but do have subtle difference.  From experience, we know the Omega 2.2 petrol does seem to be troublesome with most OBDII readers.
Grumpy old man

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2024, 21:25:16 »

So after a work week I got back to trying to figure out the omega I’ve now figured out that it probably is the immobiliser. After I checked with the Carly and wiped the codes I had before all I get is a immobileser code. So now the question is how do I fix this? My keys are bad and have no functioning buttons and have been like that forever.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2024, 00:50:20 »

The buttons have no impact on the immobiliser.

Either the transponder chip has fallen out of the key/otherwise been misplaced or something else has caused the engine ECU or transponder ring from recognising the chip in the key.

Have you taken the keys apart or done any work on the steering column?

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2024, 02:36:16 »

What is the immobiliser code reported by your Carly code reader?
If the cam sensor is faulty then it may well trigger and set a phantom fault code.

As I understand your posts.
28th Jan = engine started and ran, but spanner light remained on, codes P0340 cam sensor and P0180 phantom code present.
29th Jan = engine starts but cuts out after 2secs, the spanner light is still on? Is/was P0340 still present?
3rd Feb = fault codes cleared and now get code Pnnnn?, is the spanner light still on?
Alos key buttons don't work / have never worked.

Given that the engine ran on the 28th then the immobiliser and the key transponder must have been working on the 28th.  Did you do anything else to the ECU other than reset the fault code?  I guess not. The transponders programmed into the ECU are not lost if you remove the battery even for an extended period, so they should still work.

However if you pumped old stale fuel it might still be that the fuel pump is gummed up or weak.

If the keys are original then the key fob bit might need to have the battery holder re-soldered to the circuit board. And/or new switches soldered to the circuit boards or it might be that the fobs work but need re-syncing to the central locking. The latter procedure is in the owners manual.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 02:47:51 by Enceladus »

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2024, 09:28:14 »

The code is p1614

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2024, 11:59:34 »

Is the spanner light flashing/blinking?
Disconnect the battery. Leave it for 15mins or longer. Then reconnect the battery. See does the ECU reset and behave.

You haven't responded to DG's question above. "Have you taken the keys apart or done any work on the steering column?"
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 12:17:11 by Enceladus »

Linus

• Sweden
    • Omega 2.2 Bmw 320D E91
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 February 2024, 15:21:23 »

Nope no touching on the keys and steering column, if I remember correctly I disconnected the battery when I left it
And yes it’s flashing
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 15:25:02 by Linus »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.