Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking wheel nut key  (Read 1053 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Locking wheel nut key
« on: 14 February 2022, 10:45:09 »

So... The famous GK organisation skills come into play again. I haven't got a scooby where my locking wheel nut key is... Other than it'll turn up in about six months in somewhere stupid.

Anyone able to tell me what key number these are... And indeed if anyone has one kicking around? :D

https://flic.kr/p/2n3yEsX

https://flic.kr/p/2n3tiT4
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
Re: Locking wheel nut key
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2022, 11:33:11 »

Very tempted! :D

I took them all off my Merc cos they were all 'orrible & rusty looking.  ;)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2022, 13:21:33 »

I believe that a vauxhall garage can get you the correct key from the reg no.Proof of purchase probable needed this assumes that the nuts are original. Or take the car to a garage to get the nut off and replace with a plain bolt

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2022, 13:35:52 »

..... Or take the car to a garage to get the nut off and replace with a plain bolt

ATS removed the locking bolts from my Omega using something like those I linked to after Kwik Fit broke the 'key' .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2022, 14:01:20 »

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro406-emergency-wheel-nut-removal-tool/  :y

He'd get better value out of buying and watching me eat £23.98 worth of chocolate than buying those. I've tried most(and still have some) of the locking nut removers, and they all have one thing in common: every now and then, they get a nut undone. That's usually such a surprise that you break something as you fall over.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2022, 14:43:29 »

He'd get better value out of buying and watching me eat £23.98 worth of chocolate than buying those. I've tried most(and still have some) of the locking nut removers, and they all have one thing in common: every now and then, they get a nut undone. That's usually such a surprise that you break something as you fall over.

They were picked as an example of what's available .... You can buy proper Easyouts & you can buy stuff that looks like them. As above ..... I got ATS to remove locking bolts from a car & they used similar ...
Most of us don't use these kinds of things on a daily basis so as a one off they'd probably be OK, if they were being used every day then they'd probably not!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2022, 14:46:18 »

They were picked as an example of what's available .... You can buy proper Easyouts & you can buy stuff that looks like them. As above ..... I got ATS to remove locking bolts from a car & they used similar ...
Most of us don't use these kinds of things on a daily basis so as a one off they'd probably be OK, if they were being used every day then they'd probably not!

The most successful means of getting them off is to hammer a six point impact socket on, and use an impact wrench. If the locking nut has a rotating collar, that needs to be chisled off first.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2022, 17:40:03 »

After some careful thought and a bit of looking around (and borrowing a set of nut removers from Addy)... I discovered that one of them was slack enough that it undid when I started bashing it with a chisel, which was nice.

The second one, on an effort vs reward basis... I ended up MIGging a nut to it and undoing it by that before throwing it in the bin. God bless those who invented welders.

Two more to go... But it started persisting down do that's a job for another day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.