Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering is light  (Read 874 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Steering is light
« on: 20 February 2022, 09:09:40 »

Hi
I was wandering if anyone can help?  The steering on my Omega, seems to be light. The only way I can describe it, is as if I am towing a trailer that is pulling the back end down, which lifts the front up. I have replaced all the suspension parts on the front. Front coils and Shocks, with new bushes etc for the top. Also changed steering idler, with new Lemforder. Also had to change both track rods and the middle steering link. All these parts were Lemforder. These were done for as failed on MOT.  Changed back suspension aswell, when I did front shocks and coils. I had a basic front tracking done, as the wheel alignment was way out, after doing all the front work. It will be going for a full geometry setup, once can get to bottom of steering. The car does drive straight now, even with hands lightly on steering wheel. Before all this GastronomicKleptomaniac, drove it and commented on how nice it was to drive. Steering fluid is new and too level. The one steering pipe across the front of the car, leaked near the compression joint, drivers side, so dumped all the old fluid. I fixed the connection with a new joint, filled up power steering reservoir and bled all air out of system. Tyre pressures are correct, also they are same ones that were on the car, before the work. And I had no problems with steering lightness.

Is there anything I can check, that could be causing the lightness.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Steering is light
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2022, 10:36:08 »

Geometry, tyre pressures, correct front springs for the engine type?
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2022, 17:04:39 »

is it actually too light ? or was it just heavier before ? maybee nothing wrong now ?
i know mine is a lot lighter than my brothers and no obvious reasons as to why .same tyres ,pressures and steering angles.(almost)
if it changed only after you swapped some parts then it shouldnt be an issue with steering system as such .(box or electronic control)
too little camber or toe can have an effect as can too little caster but see what the alignment machine finds .

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2022, 17:23:59 »

Thanks DG for the suggestions.

Hi cam.in.head

It is alot lighter, it can be turned with a pinky. Even stood still. Before all the work, it was a joy to drive, about middle of the road. Not heavy where you were fighting the steering wheel to turn. And not that light that you had to keep hold of the steering wheel tight, like I am having to do now.  Would the steering servotronic lose its memory if the battery was off, the car for a long time?  Mine was off for a long time.

Will be sorting out Geometry. And see how it goes. Just wandered as the wifes old 1995 estate, is nice to drive steering wise.

Thanks again for all the help.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2022, 22:02:49 »

Wind out both tie rods two turns and report back...

Basically, the front wheels are toeing out too much making the turn in much sharper and the steering correspondingly lighter ;)

On the Omega, the steering is behind the front hubs so the track rods need evenly extending to push the back of the wheels out and pull the fronts in.

Personal preference was for zero toe at the front and whatever geometry at the back that keeps the thrust angle at zero.

Neither being 0.0001 either way, but 0.00000 zero :y
« Last Edit: 20 February 2022, 22:11:13 by Doctor Gollum »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2022, 10:09:10 »

yes i agree.virtually zero toe with maybee a tad to be just noticeable .
2 turns in ( either side =4) is a long way out if it is .it may be noticeable visually that much.
the old " looking at the rear wheels from eying up the fronts basic method"  should show if a lobg way out !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2022, 10:57:43 »

V6 has servotronic, which can affect the weight of the steering by design.

If its getting a duff speed signal, has been programmed incorrectly, or is just plain faulty, it can cause the steering to feel over (or under) assisted. 

(Obviously in addition to other suggestions mentioned)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2022, 11:11:35 »

yes i agree.virtually zero toe with maybee a tad to be just noticeable .
2 turns in ( either side =4) is a long way out if it is .it may be noticeable visually that much.
the old " looking at the rear wheels from eying up the fronts basic method"  should show if a lobg way out !
By eye is subjective, and without the car in front of you, it's impossible to say how much is/isn't required  ;)

The idea being to make the initial large adjustment to set a defined point, drive the car (round the block is far enough) and then adjust it back until it 'feels' right.

Obviously no substitute for a decent alignment but it will save you from replacing the tyres in a thousand miles.  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.