Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Headlight  (Read 4594 times)

beachcomber 1

• sussex
    • omega 2.2 automatic
    • View Profile
    • jag1
Omega Headlight
« on: 27 January 2021, 11:23:21 »

Hi all,just wondered if anyone knows where I can get a passenger headlight for my omega 2003, 2.2
self leveling . Thanks

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Headlight
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2021, 14:23:12 »

Might be helpful if you mentioned the exact model you have as self Levelling was only on certain models which had HID lights. (In 2.2 form I think that would be CDX and Sport models)  :y

beachcomber 1

• sussex
    • omega 2.2 automatic
    • View Profile
    • jag1
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2021, 16:43:12 »

Thanks for reply, it is just a 2.2i 16v cd automatic omega 2003 :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2021, 17:25:09 »

You will need to check what headlamp it is , CD headlights have H7 , H1 bulbs I think
Like this clicky which level adjustment is via a roll switch on the dash headlamp switch

IF someone has retro fitted self levelling xenon headlamps with ballast ,D2S and H1 bulbs  it's a different unit
Like this clicky

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2021, 18:08:28 »

Out of curiosity what's wrong with it ?
Broken unit
Adjuster adjuster
Non clear lens. .?

beachcomber 1

• sussex
    • omega 2.2 automatic
    • View Profile
    • jag1
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2021, 21:20:37 »

Hi, Just condensation ,think water got in when in car wash

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2021, 21:33:24 »

It's Easy enough to remove it, take it in the house ,remove the rubber caps and dry it out with the wife's hair dryer  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2021, 21:56:12 »

It's Easy enough to remove it, take it in the house ,remove the rubber caps and dry it out with the wife's hair dryer  :)

Or in the oven.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2021, 22:09:15 »

My Omega failed her MOT on headlights being cloudly. I used the autoglym kit with a drill, they are now like new!!!

If you're not happy doing that yourself, send me your headlight and I will sort it Free of Charge  - dry out, and polish / cut out the fading :y :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2021, 23:03:21 »

My Omega failed her MOT on headlights being cloudly. I used the autoglym kit with a drill, they are now like new!!!

It's a quick, easy and satisfying job. I just use 1000 grit wet&dry to remove the grot, and buff with polishing compound as I have those in stock for paintwork. I don't see the need for a drill, as each lamp takes about 10 minutes by hand, on the car.

If you want them to really look like new, finish off by working through the grades of a Micro-mesh kit which works really well if you think another 15 minutes per lamp is worthwhile.

Don't forget to apply several coats of your favourite polish to keep your new surfaces clean and clear, and to reapply whenever you polish the car.

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2021, 00:59:12 »

LUx by xh535, on Flickr

+ 1 for applying polish/similar after clearing cloudy headlights. I did the Holden's with abrasives but it quickly went backwards and ended up just replacing ^

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2021, 09:44:08 »

the long term solution ( so i have read) is that because polishing takes off the uv protection layer on the plastic they need a clear laquer reapplying .polishing will obviously work but will need doing every 6 months or so to keep perfect.
mine is having some paintwork done at the moment and the garage are going to laquer mine so il see how they turn out.

regards the posters original query ,its got to be worth drying out the light first before thinking about a replacement especially if its a good unit with a good lense and adjusters.omega headlamps generally dont have a problem with condensation compared to some cars so if it reoccurs the source of the leak could be found by either filling the headlamp with water and seeing where it leaks out ! or sealing any vents then pressurising it and either submersing it or spraying a soapy mix around the casing..obviously checking the cover is ok first !

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2021, 10:28:11 »

the long term solution ( so I have read) is that because polishing takes off the uv protection layer on the plastic they need a clear lacquer reapplying. Polishing will obviously work but will need doing every 6 months or so to keep perfect.
mine is having some paintwork done at the moment and the garage are going to lacquer mine so I'll see how they turn out.

While I could apply clear lacquer over a resurfaced lamp, I don't for a number of reasons:

you need to have a finely polished surface for the lamp to work properly. That is the exact opposite of what's needed for the paint to stick.
Clear lacquer also goes yellow over time, and in the sun. That process is sped up with heat, and bulbs get very hot, very quickly.
I don't take the lamp off the car unless it needs other remedial work - like replacing broken adjusters
If you do a good job, which only takes a few minutes per lamp then remember to clean and apply polish occasionally, it lasts for several years
I'm not convinced that most of the yellow surface we buff off is UV damage; it seems more like baked on dirt to me. Often it can be scraped off with a finger nail. Every pair of lamps I've improved has always required more work on the side nearest the kerb, and if you're sad enough look at European cars, this still holds true. And there are lamps that do degrade; look at the top, mostly horizontal edge of a mk1 Focus/Transit Connect/Hyundai Coupe/Vectra/etc and you'll see tiny cracks that go deeper than you can polish out.

So I wont be going to the hassle and expense of painting any lamp. I do wish they still had glass lenses that didn't suffer from these problems. A good bulb at the centre of a large, round reflector is still very effective ::)

beachcomber 1

• sussex
    • omega 2.2 automatic
    • View Profile
    • jag1
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2021, 13:14:09 »

Thanks all for help and advice,will let you know how it goes.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2021, 19:05:13 »

I have never found a need to put any UV treatment on mine.  Maybe if we had decent sun...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.