Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What car for £10k?  (Read 5230 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
What car for £10k?
« on: 10 March 2020, 08:05:37 »

Morning gents  :)

Thinking of selling my BMW 340i, not using it as much as I would like to, can't commute in it due to parking restrictions and certain areas I need to visit, wouldn't want to. Also I don't get to use the power for more than 5 seconds before reaching silly speeds so keeping this car doesn't make financial sense at the moment.

What would I replace it with that is modern, big enough in the back for three kids (no MPVs) petrol and preferably auto? Lots of power is not essential, 3.2V6 levels of acceleration would do for safely overtaking. Reasonable running costs so no 10 year old Range Rovers !  :P

Sadly the world has gone diesel crazy and a vast majority of modern cars run on the devils pee  :(   

Where is the best place to search for used cars? Private sellers seem to have abandoned Autotrader now

aaronjb

Re: What car for £10k?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2020, 08:18:13 »

Well if the media/Rods/etc are right and the world is about to collapse, this should be perfect: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FV721-FOX-COMBAT-VEHICLE-RECONNAISSANCE-WHEELED-IN-GOOD-RUNNING-CONDITION/193367311203?hash=item2d05970363:g:nKEAAOSwtzZeXi~X

I have no sensible suggestions that you haven't already ruled out (the 10yo RRS - though Rangie will tell you that the running costs are peanuts on a good example)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2020, 08:48:12 »

Random suggestion: Hyundai genesis 3.8v6. not many about, but a modern design, all the toys and seem to get good reviews.

Less random suggestion: XF, XJ or lexus LS 460.  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2020, 09:23:39 »

Well if the media/Rods/etc are right and the world is about to collapse, this should be perfect: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FV721-FOX-COMBAT-VEHICLE-RECONNAISSANCE-WHEELED-IN-GOOD-RUNNING-CONDITION/193367311203?hash=item2d05970363:g:nKEAAOSwtzZeXi~X

I have no sensible suggestions that you haven't already ruled out (the 10yo RRS - though Rangie will tell you that the running costs are peanuts on a good example)

The parts for the Range Rover are considerably cheaper than the
 Hyundai Terracan was, the RR goes in for a full service tomorrow all oils & filters, in readiness for all the towing of the tin tent from April onwards.😄
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2020, 09:37:19 »

Reasons for not wanting a diesel other than the obvious is the ultra low emission zones in London and the plans to expand the zone next year. So absolutely no diesels.

I'm open to any suggestions even batmobiles if they run on petrol and within budget  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2020, 10:02:17 »

Reasons for not wanting a diesel other than the obvious is the ultra low emission zones in London and the plans to expand the zone next year. So absolutely no diesels.

I understand if you don't like diesels but Euro 6 diesels meet the ULEZ criteria don't they, so no charge.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2020, 10:08:37 »

Euro6 diesels don't respond well to constant 20mph use.*

They simply aren't geared for it, so you'll wear out second gear, and the DPF will become a six monthly service item.

*nor do Euro 5s.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2020, 10:22:22 »

Rods has never been wrong about anything before, so go ahead.

Oh, wait.......... ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2020, 10:49:00 »

Euro6 diesels don't respond well to constant 20mph use.*

They simply aren't geared for it, so you'll wear out second gear, and the DPF will become a six monthly service item.

*nor do Euro 5s.

Fair point.  :y  Being a country boy I'm not used to built up areas, so the dpf gets its necessary revs to keep it happy.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2020, 11:01:35 »

What he said

And I don't like them ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2020, 11:26:26 »

Have seen brand new Transhits shutting down with 500 miles on the clocks and requiring new DPFs before the second tank of fuel.

Guy Martin didn't need the V6 turbo for his speed attempt... The 2.0 diesel lump is geared for about 200mph ;D

Also, won't be long before inside the M25 is all 20mph.
« Last Edit: 10 March 2020, 11:28:35 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2020, 12:00:05 »

Also, won't be long before inside the M25 is all 20mphEVs only.

Fixed that for you, which means SMD is going to have to go and buy himself a Tesla.

Or, if Rods is right, inside the M25 is soon going to be very, very empty..

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2020, 12:08:25 »

Yeah, it's 20mph where I live so I often take longer routes with a bit of dual carriageway for 5 seconds of enjoyment.  :D Like on date nights.  ;D Can't be bothered doing that anymore.

Are Mazda 6 any good? Out of all the bog standard family cars, I think they look alright

Or B8 Audi S4 with 3.0T engine, decent one will cost a bit more than £10k though

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2020, 12:33:23 »

Or B8 Audi S4 with 3.0T engine, decent one will cost a bit more than £10k though

Friend of mine (ex Omega owner) has a D3 Audi S8 - cost him £4k IIRC and so far he's done nothing but routine maintenance and fit the uprated vac canister actuators you can buy..

Lovely car and you could fit a whole rugby team in the back, let alone three kids. Not to mention the dozen bodies you could fit in the boot..

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2020, 12:43:07 »

Yeah, it's 20mph where I live so I often take longer routes with a bit of dual carriageway for 5 seconds of enjoyment.  :D Like on date nights.  ;D Can't be bothered doing that anymore.

Are Mazda 6 any good? Out of all the bog standard family cars, I think they look alright

Had a couple of Mazdas a 626 from new & wifey had a Mazda MX-5 for a couple of years 100 percent reliable & never missed a beat either of them , I recently read a report on the new Mazda 6 a short while ago & it couldn't be faulted.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.