Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: charging batteries  (Read 7063 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: charging batteries
« Reply #45 on: 03 April 2020, 18:34:50 »

I always disable the stop/start facility on the Indian.

Used it for a month to see if it made any difference to MPG. Nope....SFA.

Gimmick.

stop/start is more to do with reducing emissions  ;)

Yes, Mr Beanz. But many people think they will get an extra 10 MPG while saving the planet. :)
There's a very easy way to increase mpg........diesel  :)

Tunnie was always banging on about 70 MPG and more from his derv Passat.

What does the brown  Merc van manage? :)
Probably 5 mpg less than the silver Merc Mumsybus... :D

As for Tunnie, it is commonly acknowledged that he can't drive... as bourne out by his ongoing car choices :P
What you driving at the moment, Al?  ;D
A borrowed BMW 330D. With indicators.

Hoping to get my virus riddled S Class up and running by the end of the month... parts permitting ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 April 2020, 19:05:05 »

Talking  of Tunnie,not heard from him in ages  ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 April 2020, 19:08:04 »

Talking  of Tunnie,not heard from him in ages  ???

Probably knee deep in soiled nappies. :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 April 2020, 19:41:40 »

I always disable the stop/start facility on the Indian.

Used it for a month to see if it made any difference to MPG. Nope....SFA.

Gimmick.

stop/start is more to do with reducing emissions  ;)

Yes, Mr Beanz. But many people think they will get an extra 10 MPG while saving the planet. :)
There's a very easy way to increase mpg........diesel  :)

Tunnie was always banging on about 70 MPG and more from his derv Passat.

What does the brown vermillion  Merc van manage? :)
Probably 5 mpg less than the silver Merc Mumsybus... :D

As for Tunnie, it is commonly acknowledged that he can't drive... as bourne out by his ongoing car choices :P

It's actually better than the R Class ... not by much though. I can see 30 when doing the 25 miles to work on a mix of roads but usually before the traffic starts.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 April 2020, 20:06:18 »

I guess the breezeblock styling is positively offset by better engine cooling as a result of not stuffing it back in the dashboard...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 04 April 2020, 09:52:52 »

I'll ask here .... better chance of a reply rather than the MB's forum standard reply of take it to a dealer/indie.  ::)

If I wanted to use a CTek on my ML due to it standing more than normal, does anyone know if the auxiliary battery in the 'boot' get charged if I just connect the charger to the jumper connections under the bonnet? (starter battery lives under the driver's seat) Access to the aux battery requires dismantling of the boot liner/carpet.
I'm not really sure what the aux battery is for .... some suggest it's something to do with stop/start.  :-\
The small battery *should* be OK, but getting a bit of charge in it if its not being used wont harm at all.  Long term deep discharge will damage it still.

Main battery, given that the Ctek is at the best of times a woeful piece of shit, get it as near to the battery as possible, though taking the hhydrogen/spark issue seriously.  Additionally, it must be the other side of any battery monitoring system that modern cars have, so the monitor can see the electrical pixies going in, as well as going out.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 April 2020, 20:01:42 »

I'll ask here .... better chance of a reply rather than the MB's forum standard reply of take it to a dealer/indie.  ::)

If I wanted to use a CTek on my ML due to it standing more than normal, does anyone know if the auxiliary battery in the 'boot' get charged if I just connect the charger to the jumper connections under the bonnet? (starter battery lives under the driver's seat) Access to the aux battery requires dismantling of the boot liner/carpet.
I'm not really sure what the aux battery is for .... some suggest it's something to do with stop/start.  :-\
The small battery *should* be OK, but getting a bit of charge in it if its not being used wont harm at all.  Long term deep discharge will damage it still.

Main battery, given that the Ctek is at the best of times a woeful piece of shit, get it as near to the battery as possible, though taking the hhydrogen/spark issue seriously.  Additionally, it must be the other side of any battery monitoring system that modern cars have, so the monitor can see the electrical pixies going in, as well as going out.

I'm not sure I'd recognise it if I saw it, especially as access to the battery is 'restricted'  ;)
Surely the jumper terminals would be the most convenient charge point & be other side of the monitoring gizmo  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 April 2020, 16:45:00 »

I'm not sure I'd recognise it if I saw it, especially as access to the battery is 'restricted'  ;)
Surely the jumper terminals would be the most convenient charge point & be other side of the monitoring gizmo  :-\
It may or may not be. Remember, this is a MB.

As for the Ctek, being a piece of junk, its essential its connected as close as possible to the battery as possible, and that's not the jumping points.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 April 2020, 19:56:12 »

As for the Ctek, being a piece of junk,  .....

I have two of them. One permanently connected to my bike (no idea why as I'm unlikely to use it again) and the other frequently connected to the Smart Roadster .... neither have had problems starting them.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 April 2020, 20:00:16 »

Don't forget that TB thinks everything is shite...  ;D

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 April 2020, 23:41:09 »

This thread reminds me that I have to ask about the latest cars, like my daughter Grandland X, that has the function whereby the engine turns off if the car stops when still driving but halted by lights, traffic, etc.

In my day we were taught that every time you started the engine of a car, it took 15-20 minutes for the battery to have the power drained replaced.

It's called stop/start .... & there's a button somewhere to turn it off, but unfortunately you have to press to disable each & every time you get in the car.

With these modern cars why are flat batteries not happening everywhere, especially in the big cities with stop and go traffic? ??? ??? :)
They fit two batteries  ;D
Seriously, they fit AGM batteries which cost an arm & a leg
Usually between £3-400.

What!  Bloody hell! :o :o :o :o

Just imagine being an owner of one of those cars in the future when the batteries fail.  I moan about paying £70+ for replacements.  :( :(

I think that figure could be possibly a little misleading....
I recently had to replace an AGM battery on a 2015 4.2 V8 Audi. Audi quoted near enough £250 for a genuine replacement, but with discount came to a figure of near £150. Didn't even consider getting a price elsewhere.
Although you do have to factor the hours labour on top to programme the new battery to the car, otherwise some of the electrical systems will not function properly. That ideally needs to be a main dealer job - wouldn't really trust the word of a back street 'just fit it - it'll be reet' battery supplier.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

« Reply #56 on: 07 April 2020, 10:19:56 »

Here's one for my astra. I don't doubt you could get it cheaper, but the figures I quoted were ball park

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/exide-agm-115-car-battery-80ah-3-year-guarantee-444779030

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07 April 2020, 11:13:04 »

Here's one for my astra. I don't doubt you could get it cheaper, but the figures I quoted were ball park

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/exide-agm-115-car-battery-80ah-3-year-guarantee-444779030

According to that site, your battery is a little more expensive than mine would be

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 April 2020, 18:34:25 »

As for the Ctek, being a piece of junk,  .....

I have two of them. One permanently connected to my bike (no idea why as I'm unlikely to use it again) and the other frequently connected to the Smart Roadster .... neither have had problems starting them.  ;)
Ask tunnie how good my last 2 Cteks for the bike were ;D.  He had to call me a couple of hours before we ever went out for a ride, give me time to use a proper charger ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 April 2020, 18:36:08 »

Don't forget that TB thinks everything is shite...  ;D
Maybe unfairly, but I expect a single task product to do the task it claims to reasonably well.  If it can't do that task it claims is its primary use, then in my book, its shite.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.