Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Loss Problem Still  (Read 2807 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Loss Problem Still *Update*
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2007, 14:16:33 »

I put my car on the ramps on Saturday and the whole front is coated, managed to have a good look and well I didn't know where to start.

So I started with the easiest, and cleaned around the sump there only seemed to be oil around the edge of the sump not on the actual sump.

I checked the sump plug bolt and it was dry no leaks.

Slowly moved around the sump with my fingers squeezing the join to see if any oil movement and sure enough 1 side when squeezing the sump to bottom of engine you could see oil in the join moving, so I retorqed what bolts I could get to and am going to give it a few days to re check.

When looking from underneath upwards the whole front top to bottom is coated behind the cam cover so I am thinking its still old oil ideally needs cleaning but not sure how to without removing the cambelt and rear cambelt cover.

Noticed that since torquing the bolts on the sump my car has a little more poke now whether this is good or the beginnings of more bad luck for me time will tell.

Idealy I would have liked to change the sump gasket but I am not sure the best way, part of the sumps runs under the centre crossmember and there are 4 bolts there and space is just so resticted.

While I was there I checked around the oil filter and pump housing and also the pressure switch and all were dry so trying to work out if anything else could be the problem other than the sump.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Roy

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Loss Problem Still
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2007, 14:37:54 »

Haven't done a engine oil sump gasket on a meega yet, but from what I nunderstand it's officially an engine-out job - though you might get away with disconnecting the engine mounts on one side and winching the engine upwards and sideways to allow the sump to be removed. If the oil leak can be reduced by torqueing the bolts and using RTV-type sealant on the sump joint seam from outside, you may be better off just living with it...

Also, as far as I understand, there is no gasket as such but a rubber 'pipe' that fits in a groove around the sump, and needs sealant on both sides only (at the points where the rubber 'pipe' overlaps) - if so applying sealent from outside on the sump sides might be enough, has anyone tried this before?

Alas, no more Omegas....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Loss Problem Still
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2007, 16:38:25 »

Haven't done a engine oil sump gasket on a meega yet, but from what I nunderstand it's officially an engine-out job - though you might get away with disconnecting the engine mounts on one side and winching the engine upwards and sideways to allow the sump to be removed. If the oil leak can be reduced by torqueing the bolts and using RTV-type sealant on the sump joint seam from outside, you may be better off just living with it...

Also, as far as I understand, there is no gasket as such but a rubber 'pipe' that fits in a groove around the sump, and needs sealant on both sides only (at the points where the rubber 'pipe' overlaps) - if so applying sealent from outside on the sump sides might be enough, has anyone tried this before?

Cheers for the response markjay I am going to leave it a couple of days and see if the oil level changes and if there are any more signs of oil loss, having looked at the sump its annoying as it looks like there is only 4 star bolts under the centre cross member with those removed the sump will come away. >:(

I'm thinking it may be a garage job if things get worse or even worse a case of having ago myself, my trouble is i'm not to comfortable with engine mounts.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.