Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK alert test. 2  (Read 3086 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
UK alert test. 2
« on: 20 April 2023, 21:38:37 »

Is this forthcoming test in preparation for the Russians escalating the Ukraine conflict by disconnecting our undersea power and communcations cables?

Been plenty of evidence of them scoping out Scandinavian undersea infrastructure recently tooas well as North Sea stuff. They have had the ability to cut submarine cables for ages.

Might just be used as “ something wee could do” bargaining tool in the summer peace talks. Neither side can win in my view.

What do you think?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: UK alert test. 2
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2023, 21:47:41 »

I suspect a larger global threat.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2023, 22:06:55 »

There's an interesting article about this in The Telegraph today and here's a thought provoking extract.

"Russia is probing for European vulnerabilities. Apart from food, the daily critical requirements of modern society are energy and communications. The underwater arteries of modern civilisation are surprisingly few. For example, just three pipelines deliver 43 per cent of our baseline gas supply. Five interconnectors deliver electricity to and from the UK and Europe (and one more between Britain and Ireland). There are more communications cables, about 70 in all, but a relatively small number of deep-sea sabotage operations could bring our world to a halt without a shot being fired. We were assured that wind farms would bolster our energy security, but few considered their military exposure."

Bob Seely, The Telegraph 20th April 2023

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/20/vladimir-putin-is-preparing-to-attack-the-uk/

Think about how easily (or so it seems) that Nord Stream 2 was blown up and apparently they still don't know for sure who dunnit!  :-X

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2023, 22:43:20 »

There's an interesting article about this in The Telegraph today and here's a thought provoking extract.

"Russia is probing for European vulnerabilities. Apart from food, the daily critical requirements of modern society are energy and communications. The underwater arteries of modern civilisation are surprisingly few. For example, just three pipelines deliver 43 per cent of our baseline gas supply. Five interconnectors deliver electricity to and from the UK and Europe (and one more between Britain and Ireland). There are more communications cables, about 70 in all, but a relatively small number of deep-sea sabotage operations could bring our world to a halt without a shot being fired. We were assured that wind farms would bolster our energy security, but few considered their military exposure."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/04/20/vladimir-putin-is-preparing-to-attack-the-uk/

Think about how easily (or so it seems) that Nord Stream 2 was blown up and apparently they still don't know for sure who dunnit!  :-X
Yes, but actions such as cutting power or communications would be seen as an act of war. Then we could cut their communications by nuking the Kremlin.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2023, 23:21:22 »

Yes, but actions such as cutting power or communications would be seen as an act of war. Then we could cut their communications by nuking the Kremlin.

Yeeeeeaah OK. The Western world has hummed and haaaed about giving the Ukrainians a few old tanks in case it upsets Putin, so the idea we'll nuke the Kremlin if he disconnects a windfarm.....  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2023, 08:10:04 »

A few nuclear torpedoes ( Thames estuary , Netherlands) in response…..

I still think it is just posturing prior to a concerted peace process in summer.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2023, 08:30:37 »

Is this forthcoming test in preparation for the Russians escalating the Ukraine conflict by disconnecting our undersea power and communcations cables?
This has been planned for much longer than this.  There were some small scale tests a while back, so national tests were always next.

It has the potential to be useful, and given that adverse weather conditions and climate change are a thing now (although no proper evidence its manmade - but thats one for another day), having local alerts must be a good thing.

Remember, everybody but me cuddles their phone every second of every day, and nobody under the age of 50 watches BBC/Sky/Whatever TV News, so its a convenient medium.

Its all irrelevant if WWIII breaks out, as nuclear capabilities between the superpowers still work on the MAD concept of deterrent.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2023, 08:50:40 »

It has the potential to be useful, and given that adverse weather conditions and climate change are a thing now (although no proper evidence its manmade - but thats one for another day), having local alerts must be a good thing.

Remember, everybody but me cuddles their phone every second of every day, and nobody under the age of 50 watches BBC/Sky/Whatever TV News, so its a convenient medium.

I don't use the internet on my phone (though it has that capability, HTC one M8 2014  :-[ )
I can still find out what the weather is doing  :)
I use "windows"  8)
NOT the new-fangled Microsoft version , the old type ,made of see through glass  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2023, 09:55:14 »

Well, quite.  Us non millenials, non Londonium specimens can poke our nose outside and tell what its going to be doing for a few hours.  And use a barometer to tell whats likely to happen in the next couple of days.

But in all seriousness, for things like flooding, it could be a useful tool to get people to evacuate if required, rather than emergency services banging door to door.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2023, 10:51:06 »

Well, quite.  Us non millenials, non Londonium specimens can poke our nose outside and tell what its going to be doing for a few hours.  And use a barometer to tell whats likely to happen in the next couple of days.

But in all seriousness, for things like flooding, it could be a useful tool to get people to evacuate if required, rather than emergency services banging door to door.
That's if anyone took any notice of it. Trust in the powers that be has been eroded so much over the last twenty years or so, that I doubt anyone would evacuate until the water was coming through the letterbox.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2023, 10:52:29 »

And only then after packing a suitcase and making suitable arrangements for the dog/cat/budgie/granny.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2023, 11:16:22 »

This is partly true for the women in my family but the exact opposite for some of the men. If I text one of them, I'll get a reply about three days later and with the others I get a late reply as their mobile phone is sat on the dashboard of their van all day.  ::)
I can see the point in principle but believe we all have a built in distrust in our own government now.  :-\  I do see the logic of not broadcasting it on BBC, as only the ten people who watch BBC would see it, and that would be a massive task for those ten people to let everyone else know about the impending doom.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2023, 11:34:30 »

And only then after packing a suitcase and making suitable arrangements for the dog/cat/budgie/granny.
Prepare to be prepared. Leave in a panic and leave all the important stuff behind.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2023, 11:50:52 »

Prepare to be prepared. Leave in a panic and leave all the important stuff behind.
That's not the point I was making. If you receive an alert telling you to go, you should go.
Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2023, 15:56:04 »

Where is  Dave the builder? Probably in his bunker or building others! :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2023, 16:32:57 »

Where is  Dave the builder? Probably in his bunker or building others! :D
they send me the warning texts way before sending it to cannon fodder/general public  :D

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2023, 16:57:58 »

TB! as I live right next to the river Spey. My insurance company insists that I join SEPA (Scottish Environmental Protection Agency) which I have done for many years now. (mind you it does no good if I am in Mallorca as I am at the moment).
It works well apart from losing my first Omega in 2008 in a flood when I was doing things in Libya.
So I get texts and updates as to the current situation at the time.
So if it works for us oop north I cannot see the the problem that people seem to be having with this!  :y :y
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2023, 17:36:44 »

TB! as I live right next to the river Spey. My insurance company insists that I join SEPA (Scottish Environmental Protection Agency) which I have done for many years now. (mind you it does no good if I am in Mallorca as I am at the moment).
It works well apart from losing my first Omega in 2008 in a flood when I was doing things in Libya.
So if it works for us oop north I cannot see the the problem that people seem to be having with this!  :y :y

Killing Gadaffi? :)

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2023, 18:16:51 »

Killing Gadaffi? :)

Twas not me guv honest!  :) :) I know nuffink  :o :o
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2023, 10:02:14 »

Trouble with SMS is that it doesn't scale up without big delays, and also requires (only) residents to sign up, and remember to manage that membership when phones change etc.

Hence using the technology built into the later cellular standards to allow emergency broadcasts.

The technology is a good enough idea, but like everything else, if the governments abuse it, people will simply disable it...   ...right up until the point the government mandate to the cellular providers that it cant be disabled....
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2023, 10:17:49 »

The technology is a good enough idea, but like everything else, if the governments abuse it, people will simply disable it...   ...right up until the point the government mandate to the cellular providers that it cant be disabled....

I think that the general lack of trust in our Government is evident in the interest shown in how to disable these messages.  ::)

And that's before they have even used it!  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2023, 10:30:17 »

I think that the general lack of trust in our Government is evident in the interest shown in how to disable these messages.  ::)

I saw a clip of Jacob Rees-Mogg saying that he’d disabled his alert notifications.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2023, 12:13:36 »

I saw a clip of Jacob Rees-Mogg saying that he’d disabled his alert notifications.  :)

Indeed he did. It's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtVMdh7kkE

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 April 2023, 13:37:45 »

Which is why we need a new Government I think.  Not that any of the others will be as good because they are all leftie leftovers who couldn't get a real job.

But I'll keep my alerts enabled until it is abused.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2023, 13:38:53 »

Ah, that waste of carbon doesn't count.  He's only ever looking for his next 2 minutes of fame.

Or to quote my dad, 200 million sperm, and that was the fastest?
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2023, 22:05:11 »

I certainly won't be taking any notice of any of this utter nonsense, alert load of cobblers.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 April 2023, 15:15:05 »

Neither my phone or my work one even buzzed ;D

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 April 2023, 16:46:29 »

Neither did my phone, obviously not worth saving!!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2023, 17:07:10 »

Three of us here and none of us got the alert. They cant even organise that between the lot of them.
Maybe they need to increase taxes further to pay for a proper job.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2023, 18:30:25 »

Another success story then, unfortunately my phone was switched off as I was enjoying a pint or two ..🍺🍺
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 April 2023, 18:34:53 »

It seems my phone received it,don't know whether it buzzed or not as I'd dozed off after my Sunday dinner[I'm not posh enough to have lunch]as is usual and only noticed when I woke up and saw the little light flashing to show me i'd received a message.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 April 2023, 19:03:55 »

I got a message to one of my phones but it was 2 mins early.

Where /who do I complain to? ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 April 2023, 19:14:48 »

I was in Wales this arvo and got the message.  :)

The spoken part was in Welsh....  ::)  Less than 20% of people living in Wales speak Welsh, so over 80% couldn't understand it and not only that, it was from an automated female voice with an American accent, so the less than 20% who can speak Welsh, probably couldn't understand the Welsh with an American accent either, which no doubt completely bastardised some of the Welsh words!  ;D

Eventually, 'she' did it all again in English, by which time in a real emergency we'd all be dead!  ::)  :D

N.B. According to Google in 2021 17.8% of the Welsh population spoke Welsh, down from 19% in 2011.  (Census figures)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 April 2023, 22:22:27 »

To those of you who received the signal: Your Covid vaccine chips have now been activated. Instructions will shortly be transmitted telling you how to vote in the local elections.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 April 2023, 22:43:33 »

To those of you who received the signal: Your Covid vaccine chips have now been activated. Instructions will shortly be transmitted telling you how to vote in the local elections.

Oh that's alright then, I thought we'd all be self destructing in 24 hours!  ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 April 2023, 08:09:10 »

I knew it was a conspiracy all along..😂😂😂
« Last Edit: 24 April 2023, 08:16:10 by Rangie »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 April 2023, 08:37:27 »

I was in Wales this arvo and got the message.  :)

The spoken part was in Welsh....  ::)  Less than 20% of people living in Wales speak Welsh, so over 80% couldn't understand it and not only that, it was from an automated female voice with an American accent, so the less than 20% who can speak Welsh, probably couldn't understand the Welsh with an American accent either, which no doubt completely bastardised some of the Welsh words!  ;D

Eventually, 'she' did it all again in English, by which time in a real emergency we'd all be dead!  ::)  :D

N.B. According to Google in 2021 17.8% of the Welsh population spoke Welsh, down from 19% in 2011.  (Census figures)

you got a different message from me then .... I just got an alarm, no spoken bit

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 April 2023, 10:09:10 »

No alarm and no message, spoken or otherwise ::)

Does this mean my covid chip was activated or not? Or was it just a placebo  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 April 2023, 11:03:28 »

I'll let you know if my phone received it if and when I find it.

Mrs TB's did, made her jump ;D

Sir Tig, she got not spoken bit, just an onscreen msg with the audio siren.  But if nobody in Wales speaks Taff, why the opps are they renaming everywhere important with the Taff names instead?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 April 2023, 11:05:00 »

I'll let you know if my phone received it if and when I find it.

Mrs TB's did, made her jump ;D

Sir Tig, she got not spoken bit, just an onscreen msg with the audio siren.  But if nobody in Wales speaks Taff, why the opps are they renaming everywhere important with the Taff names instead?
For exactly the same reason as governments do anything these days, to placate the 1%.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 April 2023, 13:46:04 »

Maybe it was just in Wales where they did the spoken bit?  ???  :-\

Wales is effectively a one party state run by useless far left woke student activist types....  ::)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 April 2023, 15:35:12 »

And a cu🤮t for a leader
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 April 2023, 16:53:39 »

And a cu🤮t for a leader
Cont noun feminine, if you don't mind.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 April 2023, 18:15:04 »

😱
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.