Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are degrees a worthwhile investment?  (Read 1568 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Are degrees a worthwhile investment?
« on: 19 October 2021, 11:41:31 »

OK, that question is somewhat vague... 'Left handed puppetry' or 'The vagaries of Baroque folk music in Alpine Austria, during Easter Week' would be of zero commercial value and you would need to be extremely bored to even entertain them.

Considering an industry specific BSc which should provide a reasonable jump in income for the 15-20 years before retirement.

The alternative, would be to seek employment as an unlicensed aircraft mechanic to build experience to first become a licensed mechanic/A Licence (3 years verified, specific experience required in addition to 12 theory exams... I have one left 8) ) followed by a further two years and fourteen more exams (included within the degree if I choose that process) to become a licensed aircraft engineer/B1 licence.

The BSc includes the B1/B2 and reduces the five years experience normally required to two years but also opens up opportunities otherwise unavailable. The A Licence modules I have completed are accepted as an alternative to recent relevant A Levels/Level 3 passes.

My current role, whilst hands on within the industry, doesn't provide for experience beyond the occasional opportunity to assist, and whilst that is great for a bit of experience and might eventually open a door to the possibility of progression, it isn't a long term strategy... So I would be looking to move on within the next six months regardless. Basically I need to be building solid experience and quickly.

Has anyone else undertaken a degree a bit later usual? And was it worth it?
« Last Edit: 19 October 2021, 11:43:56 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Are degrees a worthwhile investment?
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2021, 12:00:05 »

Its a tough one.

I think for someone being kicked out of school, it (or an apprenticeship or similar) is a necessity to get through any paper sift of applicants for a role.

For somebody who has decent experience in an industry, that is usually more desirable.

But sounds like you aren't quite fitting the latter, so maybe need the former in order to open those doors.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2021, 12:18:03 »

I would quite happily pay to do an industry specific basic skill course in order to formalise my ability, but they aren't available to individuals.

Next option was to do a Level 3 City and Guilds course, but apparently I am not 19, so can't do that... I mean HTF does that work ???

I have since discovered that the C and G Level 2 and 3 includes the modules for the A Licence but the pass rate is 65%... The pass rate for the A Licence is 75%, which I have surpassed, hence the ability to go straight onto the Degree course.

Which opens up that option nicely... It also takes me away from current company/customer politics, but that's something for a later discussion  :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2021, 12:57:40 »

I would quite happily pay to do an industry specific basic skill course in order to formalise my ability, but they aren't available to individuals.

Next option was to do a Level 3 City and Guilds course, but apparently I am not 19, so can't do that... I mean HTF does that work ???

I have since discovered that the C and G Level 2 and 3 includes the modules for the A Licence but the pass rate is 65%... The pass rate for the A Licence is 75%, which I have surpassed, hence the ability to go straight onto the Degree course.

Which opens up that option nicely... It also takes me away from current company/customer politics, but that's something for a later discussion  :-X

I'm 19......in my head. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2021, 13:25:38 »

Can't you simply purchase the necessary documents? ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2021, 14:00:59 »

Experience trumps qualifications, but you've got to get to the interview stage for that to matter, and without the qualifications you might not get that far due to the aforementioned paper shufflers. It's easier for experience to allow you to 'rise through the ranks'  if you haven't got the qualifications, but to do that you'll have to join an organisation at a level your qualifications do allow, and then stick with that company as you hopefully rise through the ranks.

So you've got to decide how much you want that job, and how much effort, time and money is required to get the qualifications. Degree courses are not particularly focused on one discipline - when I did my engineering degree (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) one third the marks were for maths, one third for engineering, and one third for other stuff (accounting, French/German and that sort of tosh). I enjoyed the engineering - not so much the other stuff. Got a Desmond and haven't had to show the piece of paper to anyone since I got it.

One problem with having the experience without the qualifications is that you know how to do something - which isn't always the way you will be taught to do it. No point arguing - yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir - do it their way or you risk losing marks.

The other thing to remember is that whilst the crème will eventually float to the top, so do some turds.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2021, 14:05:56 »

The other thing to remember is that whilst the crème will eventually float to the top, so do some turds.
Or, as they say at our place, promoted to your level of incompetence.  No point promoting the good technicians and engineers, because you need them doing the real work, not spending all their time in group masturbation sessions, or whatever scrums and wp are called this week.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2021, 15:03:39 »

Or, as they say at our place, promoted to your level of incompetence.  No point promoting the good technicians and engineers, because you need them doing the real work, not spending all their time in group masturbation sessions, or whatever scrums and wp are called this week.

That's one thing HMPS excelled at , promoting individuals to way beyond their capabilities.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2021, 15:18:20 »

Depends on the final job, for my line its the only option, no apprenticeship will get you to the level you need to be.

Whats more, to sign certain safety critical things off you need certain additional levels (chartered as an example), and access to that requires a degree in old money or degree plus masters in the newer watered down courses

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2021, 15:41:46 »

The course whilst accredited as a degree is actually run by an airline training department, the facility is at one of their maintenance bases, and is a five day week rather than the usual two or three. This is largely due to the practical element. Which makes it industry relevant and allows for holiday work as an unlicensed mechanic... Thus providing income AND building experience whilst becoming formally qualified.

The experience issue is a tricky one. Whilst my shift leader has no concerns with my ability, work ethic and accessing the relevant information, my current role is limited to a sliver of one sub section, specifically Chapter 25 whereas the Licence requires a broad spread of hands on across every system.

In short, I need to move on, the question is finding the most effective way to do so.  ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2021, 16:42:20 »

The course whilst accredited as a degree is actually run by an airline training department, the facility is at one of their maintenance bases, and is a five day week rather than the usual two or three. This is largely due to the practical element. Which makes it industry relevant and allows for holiday work as an unlicensed mechanic... Thus providing income AND building experience whilst becoming formally qualified.

The experience issue is a tricky one. Whilst my shift leader has no concerns with my ability, work ethic and accessing the relevant information, my current role is limited to a sliver of one sub section, specifically Chapter 25 whereas the Licence requires a broad spread of hands on across every system.

In short, I need to move on, the question is finding the most effective way to do so.  ;)
Have you considered Outer Mongolia? Just a thought  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2021, 16:44:32 »

I hear Barnsley is nice :D

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2021, 17:09:38 »

If you have a definite career path and you need a degree for it then it's worth going for , however if you just go to Uni cos all your mates are going , that might not be the best plan ( 90% of students ?) 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2021, 17:58:19 »

I'm quite confident, at 45, that peer pressure isn't a factor ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 October 2021, 18:57:42 »

I'm quite confident, at 45, that peer pressure isn't a factor ;)

How many years have you been 45? :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.