Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats to look out for on this Lexus  (Read 3110 times)

omega3000

Re: Whats to look out for on this Lexus
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2013, 12:40:09 »

MR MISTER

« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2013, 12:42:26 »

I ,personally, cannot see the point of buying an old car and then spending the equivalent of a new car on it. Just cut out the middle man and buy one that runs. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2013, 12:47:26 »

I ,personally, cannot see the point of buying an old car and then spending the equivalent of a new car on it. Just cut out the middle man and buy one that runs. ;D
Yes we know, there by loosing a huge dollop of depreciation, and handing massive profits to a garage in servicing and parts, purely because you refuse to get your hands dirty. Now back to gen chat ward. ;D

MR MISTER

« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2013, 12:52:32 »

Yes we know, there by loosing a huge dollop of depreciation, and handing massive profits to a garage in servicing and parts, purely because you refuse to get your hands dirty. Now back to gen chat ward. ;D
Nope. Someone else paid my depreciation for me. I'll service it myself, despite all the ticks in the book, we all know they do an oil change and eff all else.

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2013, 13:01:59 »

Nope. Someone else paid my depreciation for me. I'll service it myself, despite all the ticks in the book, we all know they do an oil change and eff all else.

You've had it a year surely? So there's another 30k gone.  ;D

MR MISTER

« Reply #20 on: 09 December 2013, 13:03:59 »

Shit! I'd have to pay thee grand for someone to take it?

chrisgixer

« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2013, 13:48:40 »

Shit! I'd have to pay thee grand for someone to take it?

Yep next px will cost you 3k plus the new car figures. ;D

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 December 2013, 18:12:31 »

Buy a lexus for 1K (or even a transit van  ;D ), spend 5K on making it concourse condition, still <25% the price of yours, will last 5x as long, and be 5x the car  :y

« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 18:14:36 by bigegg »
Carpe Incendium

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 December 2013, 18:13:27 »

it's your money, tho - spend it how you like. If you don't the kids will  ;)

« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 18:15:22 by bigegg »
Carpe Incendium

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2013, 19:55:19 »

steve  youve got to make sure its got 4 wheels mate :-X :-X :-X :-X

sorry ill get my coat and pick a window ;) ;) ;)
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 11 December 2013, 15:53:57 »

steve  youve got to make sure its got 4 wheels mate :-X :-X :-X :-X

sorry ill get my coat and pick a window ;) ;) ;)

4x4  ;)

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12 December 2013, 23:12:49 »

age and mileage doesn't matter with a lexus  as long as it's been serviced  :y

things to check for:
service history.
service history
service history
the cambelt needs doing every 60,000/5 years. if it's not been done, budget 400 quid
water in rear footwell - usually sunroof drains blocked (easy fix), but can be A/C evaporator cracked (£££+ back of dash, means full strip)

Brake master cylinder is a known weakness - ££££ cos the cylinder + ECU is one unit. can be repaired for much less if you're mechanically inclined - this lights up the TCoff light.

Gearbox solenoids are known to stick - this can sometimes be easily fixed by draining and replacing the trans fluid - alternatively removing solenoids and cleainng. replacement solenoid is £400+ from the states. 1500+ from Lexus. 2/h gearbox is about £150  ::)

Engine is renowned to be indestructable if SERVICED regularly - 3L straight 6 with lots of room to work.

Service history

Budget for suspension parts - bushings and ball joint/track rod ends. about 200 quid for full set, and they last about 5-10 years.

Last thing - once you drive a lexus, you'll never be happy in another car. Upside is. if you keep up with the SERVICE HISTORY, it will last you another 10-15 years

Did I mention service history???

The US site - clublexus has much more DIY info than the UKone, which is much quieter, and you're not guaranteed to ever get a reply (cept from me  ::) )

Oh, that one is overpriced by about 300 quid. a low mileage example, the same age, but with 45K on the clock went at ebay auction for 800 quid at the end of august. most don't make that much, but this was absolutely *mint* one owner from new. I'd lowball him at 800 personally, since I'm sure it's been on before and unsold.

Im seeing pound signs  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :( :( :( :(

LOL.

It's 16 years old tho - whatever you spend on it won't need doing for another 16 years  :y
And those are, really, the only things that *ever* go wrong.

Mines 15 years old, and, according to (the *very* comprensive) collection of receipts, it's had ONE brake light bulb replaced outwith servicing items + tyres.
Carpe Incendium

omega3000

« Reply #27 on: 12 December 2013, 23:21:58 »

age and mileage doesn't matter with a lexus  as long as it's been serviced  :y

things to check for:
service history.
service history
service history
the cambelt needs doing every 60,000/5 years. if it's not been done, budget 400 quid
water in rear footwell - usually sunroof drains blocked (easy fix), but can be A/C evaporator cracked (£££+ back of dash, means full strip)

Brake master cylinder is a known weakness - ££££ cos the cylinder + ECU is one unit. can be repaired for much less if you're mechanically inclined - this lights up the TCoff light.

Gearbox solenoids are known to stick - this can sometimes be easily fixed by draining and replacing the trans fluid - alternatively removing solenoids and cleainng. replacement solenoid is £400+ from the states. 1500+ from Lexus. 2/h gearbox is about £150  ::)

Engine is renowned to be indestructable if SERVICED regularly - 3L straight 6 with lots of room to work.

Service history

Budget for suspension parts - bushings and ball joint/track rod ends. about 200 quid for full set, and they last about 5-10 years.

Last thing - once you drive a lexus, you'll never be happy in another car. Upside is. if you keep up with the SERVICE HISTORY, it will last you another 10-15 years

Did I mention service history???

The US site - clublexus has much more DIY info than the UKone, which is much quieter, and you're not guaranteed to ever get a reply (cept from me  ::) )

Oh, that one is overpriced by about 300 quid. a low mileage example, the same age, but with 45K on the clock went at ebay auction for 800 quid at the end of august. most don't make that much, but this was absolutely *mint* one owner from new. I'd lowball him at 800 personally, since I'm sure it's been on before and unsold.

LOL.

It's 16 years old tho - whatever you spend on it won't need doing for another 16 years :y

Mines 15 years old, and, according to (the *very* comprensive) collection of receipts, it's had ONE brake light bulb replaced outwith servicing items + tyres.

Bit like the Omega then  :D ;D

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 December 2013, 23:41:47 »

LOL.

It's 16 years old tho - whatever you spend on it won't need doing for another 16 years :y

Bit like the Omega then  :D ;D
without the rust.
Carpe Incendium

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2013, 23:43:03 »

and you won't have to worry about depreciation.

g, d & r

;D
Carpe Incendium
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.