Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: portable car jump starter  (Read 6921 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
portable car jump starter
« on: 01 February 2015, 14:36:37 »

I`m sure we`ve all seen different styles of these things.
I got something very similar to this one  & carry it under the bike seat. :y
Lot of dodgy junk about, but this bloke also claims to have tested the safety features under short circuit conditions.
Although the jumper cables look a bit on the skinny side to me :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_pzljtJapE

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: portable car jump starter
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2015, 15:03:39 »

No, cant see it myself, especially the last bit with no Battery in the car.

The Ex bought something from one of those shopping channels, basically two cigarette lighter plugs with some flimsy cable in the middle, that supposedly jumps a good car to a flat one, did it work??.......  No, but amazingly worked on the TV she said. 

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2015, 15:06:09 »

I'm tempted to buy one just to see if it'll work.. the Omega battery was reading 2V last time I checked it on the car so that would make for an interesting test! ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2015, 15:17:52 »

I'm tempted to buy one just to see if it'll work.. the Omega battery was reading 2V last time I checked it on the car so that would make for an interesting test! ;D
Thats probably shagged the battery then, only real way if you got cars parked up for long periods is to pull the Neg Terminal off from the battery, takes all of 20 seconds to reconnect it when needed.  ;)

The Sheriff

« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2015, 15:29:42 »

Buy it Aaron, then you can put it through its paces and do a real review. You have plenty of money so if it's no good you won't miss a paltry sixty quid.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2015, 16:10:04 »

Buy it Aaron, then you can put it through its paces and do a real review. You have plenty of money so if it's no good you won't miss a paltry sixty quid.
£60, you could get a half decent set of Jump Leads and a Medium Size car Battery for that, admittedly it wont fit in your pocket, but will last a lot longer than that Chinese box of bangers.

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2015, 16:16:18 »

£60, you could get a half decent set of Jump Leads and a Medium Size car Battery for that, admittedly it wont fit in your pocket, but will last a lot longer than that Chinese box of bangers.
But it's only Aarons sixty quid, so no worries  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2015, 16:57:33 »

Couple of hours work will pay for that and then we can see if it catches fire trying to start the Omega.. ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2015, 17:25:09 »

Couple of hours work will pay for that and then we can see if it catches fire trying to start the Omega.. ;D
We want a proper appraisal, none of this "It's shite!"  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2015, 17:32:59 »

We want a proper appraisal, none of this "It's shite!"  ;D

That's not what we do here! We just announce everything is shite.. unless it's an Omega, of course! ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2015, 17:57:02 »

Had a demo from a factors rep of one very similar,we tried on a dead Renault ,1.5diesel and it swung that over very well,it just clicked on its own battery.I've ordered one to keep in the  glovebox of the Touareg  as the battery lives under the passenger seat and is a bastid to get at.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2015, 18:34:37 »

i bought one about 18months ago, and used it at work until last summer. The only reason I stopped using it was that some cretin connected it back-to-front and melted it. It quite happily started my Omega when I'd left the lights on for two days and the battery was flat, and countless other cars with similar problems. It didn't need charging very often either.

What it also does is provide a really good power source for anything that charges off a USB socket.

What it won't do is provide power to continually crank over a car that won't start quickly; you flatten it in about 30 seconds.

I have been meaning to buy another, as lugging a traditional boost starter into carparks just to do a jumpstart is hard work. This thing  fits into your pocket.

The worst thing I found was that the stitching that retained all the adapters inside the case broke very quickly. Hardly a real problem, as I don't own much that used them.

Is that a good enough, real-world review for you?

The Sheriff

« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2015, 18:42:55 »

So....not so shite after all.

If they are that good, why haven't we been bombarded with tv ads for them?  why haven't the fat boys(8pm, BBC 2), let us know, it is a motoring programme after all.  ::)

If I owned an omega, I would definitely invest in one, in case I had to park the poor old dear up for any longer than 36 hours.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2015, 19:15:08 »

So....not so shite after all.

If they are that good, why haven't we been bombarded with tv ads for them?  why haven't the fat boys(8pm, BBC 2), let us know, it is a motoring programme after all.  ::)

If I owned an omega, I would definitely invest in one, in case I had to park the poor old dear up for any longer than 36 hours.
Coz there shite.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2015, 00:14:25 »

Two things.

1:  That bloke has a load of weird shit in his house.

2:  Was I the only one who really wanted to see that positive terminal short on the body?

:-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.