Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel alignment  (Read 7466 times)

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel alignment
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2007, 01:08:49 »

I do noy understand why technicians while they have the equipment and the data always struggle to achieve the nominal values of a suspension geometry i also don't understand the reason why they are still in business and why there is nobody checking their standard of work given the fact that suspension geometry is critical kealth and safety issue. They are being paid why do they not do the job properly?
It reminds me when i had my omega set up after being a pain in the technician''s ass  he finally got the values i wanted and then i asked him " did u tighten the bolts to 110NM?" and he said "No" i asked him to do it and he had to tighten the nuts about 200 degrees for the torque wrench to click.
Guys whatever you to always supervise them no matter how uncomfortable it is and always make sure they do the correct thing.

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2007, 07:29:30 »

could not agree more i was a PIA with my local Tyre Fitters They used to hold there head in there hands when i turned up but through Dogged " No its still not right" attitude i finaly got the car right ,they Have 4 wheel alignment kit but the equipment is only as good as the operator. incidently a reading of -1.2 and -2,.2 will definatly make the car pull to the kerb Tony at WIM  certainly knows wat he is on about i dont possess to know anything like that but i do know that my 1998 2.5 CDX DOES not pull to the left its as straight as a die running. My Front camber settings are NS -1.10 min and the OFS is -55min i got 19000 on my last set of tyres and had the camber rechecked when i changed the tyres in Nov the fitter who now knows me well for my doggedness said only altered ofs track slightly to bring it correct it steers perfect the camber difference stops it pulling to left

Robert
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2007, 07:33:43 »

As a further aside the settings he achieved on my car he now applies to all Omegas that come in for wheel alignment

Robert
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2007, 11:02:32 »

Wheel alignment is a waste of time and money if the operator doesn't understand the numbers he's getting from the machine.

My wife got conned into having her "tracking" checked at a well known high street tyre outfit and was told both sides were "miles out". Next time I drove the car the steering wheel was at about 20 degrees from the straight ahead position when running straight. I looked at the report and the guy had wound about 30 minutes on one side and about 30 minutes off the other. So the total toe hadn't been changed at all, just the steering wheel position! Took it back and complained and I watched him adjust it again without bracing the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Just got a blank look when I pointed out his mistake. If the guy doesn't understand the effect of the steering wheel on front toe he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

In contrast, got the Omega checked at a decent place the other day and the chap was very helpful. He pointed out that my camber was within limits but in his opinion the limits were a bit wide and that it might be advisable for me to bring it back and have that properly set.

I've got -1.89 on the left and -2.07 on the right at the moment. Doesn't seem to be pulling to the left despite this but he said I might get shoulder wear with that much camber. What's the collective wisdom on this?

Limits were -0.92 to -2.42.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2007, 12:13:38 »

-1' 20'' is the value I target for front camber......and both as close to each other as possible.....on most Omegas this is about as little camber as the adjustment will allow you to set.....

AAS

• Sussex
  • Lowest miles 2.6 Elite saloon in the UK?
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel alignment (pulling to the left)
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2007, 12:52:26 »

I think I've got the only Omega that doesn't pull to the left  ;)

Hello: I've joined specificaly to resolve this issue in my year-2000 2.0 estate. I just wish I could remember if it was like it from purchase 2 yrs ago. Symptom: have to keep a small right hand bias on the steering otherwise if I take my hands off the steering wheel it immediately flicks out of my hand to its preferred neutral position - and the car will hit the curve after about 50 yards or so even on a completely flat, straight road. Tracking checked and apparently OK. Does seem to wear FNS tyres on inner rim, but again, told that tracking is OK. Tyres have been changed front and rear, and are now two pairs of new budget tyres. No effect on pulling, not even when inner rim worn away.

If the road has a slight camber to the right (say, a long gradual bend) this can exactly compensate for the pull.

Even down to about 15mph this pulling is evident. A fine car that I'd like to keep alive but this is frustrating me now. Thanks for your suggestions (I am non technical). My local non-Vauxhall garage tells me the car is 'ok' but it's not and I'm amazed that he's insensitive to the pull.

Alan

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 February 2007, 13:23:49 »

I think I've got the only Omega that doesn't pull to the left  ;)

Hello: I've joined specificaly to resolve this issue in my year-2000 2.0 estate. I just wish I could remember if it was like it from purchase 2 yrs ago. Symptom: have to keep a small right hand bias on the steering otherwise if I take my hands off the steering wheel it immediately flicks out of my hand to its preferred neutral position - and the car will hit the curve after about 50 yards or so even on a completely flat, straight road. Tracking checked and apparently OK. Does seem to wear FNS tyres on inner rim, but again, told that tracking is OK. Tyres have been changed front and rear, and are now two pairs of new budget tyres. No effect on pulling, not even when inner rim worn away.

If the road has a slight camber to the right (say, a long gradual bend) this can exactly compensate for the pull.

Even down to about 15mph this pulling is evident. A fine car that I'd like to keep alive but this is frustrating me now. Thanks for your suggestions (I am non technical). My local non-Vauxhall garage tells me the car is 'ok' but it's not and I'm amazed that he's insensitive to the pull.

Alan

I recommend a trip from Sussex up the M25 to Watford... Go see Tony at STS. He will put your Omega right, so my suggestion is that you don't waste time trying to get it sorted by local tyre fitters etc. Mention this forum to Tony and get a discount off the already very-reasonable price! :y

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 February 2007, 13:28:03 »

Oh, and welcome to the forum AlanShaw.

(where are my manners?  :-[)

Alas, no more Omegas....

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 February 2007, 13:30:16 »

Welcome to the forum - see this web site - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/
I like red cars

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 February 2007, 13:41:15 »

...Does seem to wear FNS tyres on inner rim, but again, told that tracking is OK....

Also, mine used to do that, at one point where the white canvas was showing even though the tyre had still usable thread eslewhere. Apparently this happens if the suspension setting on Omega are set to manufacturer's values - but these can be improved on to resolve the problem (did I mention Tony at STS Watford?)

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2007, 14:23:45 »

Welcome AlanShaw :)

The inner wear is likely to be camber.

As has been suggested, a trip to Wheels-InMotion would be a worthwhile trip (book first though!).  I personally recommend him.
Grumpy old man

wheels-inmotion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2007, 18:25:38 »

-1' 20'' is the value I target for front camber......and both as close to each other as possible.....on most Omegas this is about as little camber as the adjustment will allow you to set.....

Can i offer this reading from the wim forum... It's just a simple explanation that there is no such thing as "Actual Geometry positions"

The simple answer is that there is no such thing!

Seeking the perfect set-up is dependent on variables that exceed even the most experienced in the industry, F1 with millions invested each season still cannot deliver 'matter of fact' positions, so what do you do? how can anyone establish the perfect set-up.

First lets look at the manufacture

Geometry within new models tends to be an extension of previous established positions, minor tweaks to accommodate suspension travel, wider tyres and so on is often visible and do fall into the 'safe zone', but attempt to manufacture a completely new Geometry then things can go very wrong, as it did for the Nissan 350Z and the new Peugeot 1002.

So now your modified

Taken from the above the car had recognized Geometric positions and is now modified... suspension, tyres, turbo but now things just don't feel right, well maybe understanding the 'forces' involved within Geometry not just the name of the angles could help.

Toe: exerts no force unless violated to the maximum since the chosen position 'Dynamically' is 0

Camber: exerts a 'conical' force and will want to roll into the lowest point of the imaginary cone, the force adds security to straight line travel and compensates for body roll.... excessive camber will make the steering heavy and lazy (turn out) due to the 'compressive' force generated from the angular position of the imaginary cone.

Castor: exerts a non-reactive longitudinal force assuming the positions over the axle are within manufactured tolerances, on cornering the Castor contributes toward displacement of the steering axis and the position of the 'scrub radius' this force is very important.

KPI/SJI: exerts a very high force toward directional stability, this force is immediately detectable if any attempt is made to deviate from straight line travel... the force is generated by 'inclining' the pin during any steering action, this inclination lifts the vehicle and adds weight on the pin, in reply the equilibrium through the rack will return the steering so the KPI can relax.

How to develop your own positions

First consider your reasons, what do you expect from the car and to what end, is tyre wear an issue, are the modifications cosmetic or deliberate? The four examples shown reflect the most common consequences of modifying a car, in particular lowering, the forces displayed need to be examined in your own example and explored.

It could be easy to assume now that all things 'Geometrical have been covered?

Following posts in this thread can i also explain these observations...
1: No domestic car is designed to pull/ drift left. All cars sold in the UK have an expected range to resist "road crown deviation". Because the road crown deforms the nsf/ osf tyre circumference so depending on the tyres "aspect ratio" an eventual pneumatic steer is inevitable.

2: The Omega has a very poor "DI" dynamic index. This means the roll centre during weight transitions requires very high front coil rates. In reply this also means a long damper stroke. In summary the coil-over-oil dynamics is extremely fluid..... "do we all agree on that!"

3: The above suggests "static Geometry" as a modifier can be deemed as less than perfect! Well we all know that! That's why there are so many complaints here.... so what to do?

4: Historically the static front camber positions does not comply with the dynamics. Many past examples in measurement and final corrective positions can suggest a "global" set-up but this is not the law! so the actual complaint -ver- positions must be read on the fly so to speak..... But we have another problem?

5: Camber Change - If a wheel has positive Castor, then the top of the wheel leans into the corner whichever way it is steered. The change in Camber is approximately:

Camber Change = Castor x steer-angle / 60 (measured in degrees)
Example: Camber Change = 6 degrees
Steer-angle = 10 degrees
Then:- Camber Change = 6 x 10/ 60 = 1.0 degree

The change in camber that results from positive Castor is beneficial to the grip of both front wheels during cornering, providing it isn't excessive. A negative Castor (top of the steer-axis leaning forwards) changes the wheel Camber angles in the 'wrong' direction during cornering, this is not desirable.

Self-Centering phenomenon
Castor has a self-centring effect that is similar to that of SJI/KPI. As the wheel is steered away from straight-ahead its Camber angle changes and more weight is carried by one edge of the wheel. This shifts the wheelprint centre sideways and the offset force then acts to return the wheel to straight-ahead. As with the SAI/KPI self-centring this effect is proportional to the Castor and to the radius of curvature of the tyre.

Self-centring exists even if the tyre is narrow, although it is almost non-existent at small steer-angles. It is very evident on wide, flat cross-section tyres with stiff sidewalls.

Castor Trail
The common argument for the trail is wrong and it aggravates me since the example has become a seed for most attempting to explain the trail.

Geometry= X. Y. Z Three dimensions... There is no exact law or solution only understanding and recognition... And finally team work between the tech and the owner.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 February 2007, 11:10:06 »

Wheel alignment is a waste of time and money if the operator doesn't understand the numbers he's getting from the machine.

My wife got conned into having her "tracking" checked at a well known high street tyre outfit and was told both sides were "miles out". Next time I drove the car the steering wheel was at about 20 degrees from the straight ahead position when running straight. I looked at the report and the guy had wound about 30 minutes on one side and about 30 minutes off the other. So the total toe hadn't been changed at all, just the steering wheel position! Took it back and complained and I watched him adjust it again without bracing the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Just got a blank look when I pointed out his mistake. If the guy doesn't understand the effect of the steering wheel on front toe he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.

In contrast, got the Omega checked at a decent place the other day and the chap was very helpful. He pointed out that my camber was within limits but in his opinion the limits were a bit wide and that it might be advisable for me to bring it back and have that properly set.

I've got -1.89 on the left and -2.07 on the right at the moment. Doesn't seem to be pulling to the left despite this but he said I might get shoulder wear with that much camber. What's the collective wisdom on this?

Limits were -0.92 to -2.42.

Kevin

Where is this place Kevin, I'm not a million miles from you and wouldn't have a clue where to take it around here..

Cheers,

Chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 February 2007, 11:52:29 »

Where is this place Kevin, I'm not a million miles from you and wouldn't have a clue where to take it around here..

I got the Omega checked at Micheldever tyres at Micheldever station. Don't know if you've been there before but they are a very competitive (price-wise) tyre fitters. It's a bit of a production line when the place is busy so you don't get much in the way of personal service, especially at weekends, but if you phone them up and explain what you want, and ask them when they're quiet it should be OK. Best to try and get there on a weekday I'd say. They don't charge the earth either. I think my alignment check came to £17. It'd probably be more if they had to adjust more as I think it was itemised as "adjust toe" on the bill. They just tweaked the toe on mine.

They've got a couple of bays with optical alignment gear and measured Caster, Camber and Toe on the front and Camber, Toe and Thrust angle at the rear, along with setback and track and wheel base differences.

I've also had a good job done by Farnham Tyre and Exhaust near Farnham station but it was much more pricey. About £70 for an alignment on the wife's MX-5. Can't remember how much they adjusted but I think that was a fixed price. It did drive nicely afterwards though.

Cheers,

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 February 2007, 12:52:39 »

Nice one, thanks Kevin.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.