Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LSD questions  (Read 3135 times)

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
Re: LSD questions
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2008, 00:12:50 »

i fitted one to my tub simply because i got fed up sitting in the middle of a junction after i tried to get out a bit sharpish, the wheels would start to spin followed by the traction control taking the p+ss,solution a genuine ex-plod automatic lsd

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2008, 06:53:10 »

Do you find you get much rear tyre wear? I have been asking around and it seems that this is one of the major downsides. As I run 235x35x19 tyres, I don't want to be replacing them any more often than I have to already.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 October 2008, 07:26:42 »

From factory it has been an option to have lsd, at least Opel-branded Omegas often have had that. Here in Finland most of the Omegas have lsd and there are always available some lsd diffs from breakers so welcome to Finland for shopping  :D

Available ratios are equal to non-lsd versions and changing the diff is quite straight forward. The lsd on Omega is fully mechanical, ie. ABS is not related to its function. Remember to use the right oil in lsd diff, MUST be with lsd-additive.

Tyre wear may be increased, but driving one without lsd would imho be practically impossible on snow/ice/sand...

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 October 2008, 07:42:39 »

Do the LSD cars in finland have an auto 3.2 model?

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 October 2008, 09:50:39 »

3,2 is very rare here, have not yet seen one to be breaked. You should be able to find one from Germany, 3,2 auto is more common there. Also, 3,90 ratio is used in 2,6&3,2 manual versions, someone could confirm if 3,0/2,5 models also have this ratio?

Peter H

• Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 October 2008, 12:36:43 »

The above comments about purely mechanical / hydraulic auto boxes are very valid.  Also the severity of the slipping / locking action is valid too.  The Jaguar uses a GM Powerlok as it is rated to 500lb/ft of torque, the downside is it is simple and harsh.  The Omega may be fitted with a more sympathetic diff, with less aggressive characteristics.
Bread and water can so easily be tea and toast!

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 October 2008, 13:30:37 »

LSDs and autoboxes work fine together as this was the standard set up in the states for many years. with a hell of a lot more torque going through them.

Option LSDs will be set up wuth the same gearing as specified for the model.

Tyre wear does increase due to the additional forces applied to both rear wheels during cornering.

Increasing the ratio will increase the acceleration times but limit top end speed.

Any change in gearing will affect the speedo reading and the odometer readout.

If it was me I would go for LSD without TC anytime on RWD but wouldn't touch it on FWD as any step out has far reaching effects.

Just my points of view.

Steve  

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 October 2008, 13:34:13 »

Any change in gearing will affect the speedo reading and the odometer readout.

Whilst true on most vehicles, this doesn't apply to the Omega because the speedometer / odometer is derived from the ABS sensors which measure rotation directly at the wheel. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 October 2008, 13:42:09 »

I have had numerous 3.2 auto with lsd and its probably the best drive of any omega - 80% of ex police cars had lsd fitted as an option.Iyou want one omega spares on ebay has one buy it now £175.........ex 3.2 estate manual

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Re: LSD questions (results of some research)
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2008, 22:18:01 »

After doing some digging around I have found out the following which otehrs may find useful:

Question:

Are the ratios of the Omega 3.0 police spec LSD all the same as other v6 Omegas? If so, do you know what they are? I need to know as I'd like to fit to a 3.2 Auto.

Answer:

As far as I know, all the 3.0 and 3.2 cars had the same ratios. although I don't have any evidence other than the EPC and the Haynes manual. The gear ratios would also suggest that the diff remains the same.

All six cylinder models = 3.70:1

Question:

How can you tell if a Diff is LSD or not?

Answer:

A sure way of telling is to remove the back plate off of the diff. If you cant see the pinion gears then its a LSD

It's the sun gears and planetary gears that drive the two output shafts. On a standard these are visible in a frame that is attached to the large crown wheel, on an LSD there is just a metal cylinder there with the gubbins in.

Turning the output shafts isn't a reliable method on this type of diff. It works nicely on viscous LSDs as fitted to the RWD Fords.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1223450604

Some pictures of the insides of standard diffs and LSD.

Picture of the inside of standard differential:

Pictures of the inside of an LSD: (This is from a Carlton 24v GSi, but the principle is the same)

Question:

Is it possible to remove the rear plate on a diff to check if it is an LSD or not without damaging it?

Answer:

You don't have to remove the rear plate. just look into the hole where the driveshaft fits. if there is one cross-pin then it's not LSD, if there's two then it's LSD.

A good way of telling if you have an LSD or not it to pull out a driveshaft from the diff. There are no markings on the diff, no part numbers, no actual physical features on the diff itself, you simply have to pull out a driveshaft to be able to see the pins down the hole.

OPEN (STD) DIFF - Note only one pin.

LSD DIFF - Note the two crossed pins.

PS - the LSD diff oil should have the GM LSD additive as the Haynes manual suggests.

woodsy_mv6

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2008, 11:01:19 »

Another interesting post...

"no 'normal' Omegas came with LSD

All police-spec Omegas had LSD ( fitted by MSD as part of the conversion package )
'fraid not ;)

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

woodsy_mv6

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2008, 11:06:46 »

Except the autos which have a 3.90:1 FDR, same as the 4-pots
« Last Edit: 13 October 2008, 11:07:18 by woodsy_mv6 »

From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2008, 15:03:38 »

So does this mean that my 3.2 auto has a 3.90:1 standard diff and an LSD from a 6 pot police car would have a 3.70:1?

If I went from an 3.90:1 to a 3.70:1 what would the effect be and how much of an effect would it be?

Would the LSD's from the Finland 6 pot automatics above ^^^ be any different?

dieseldean

• Omega Knight
  • chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2008, 16:06:17 »

So does this mean that my 3.2 auto has a 3.90:1 standard diff and an LSD from a 6 pot police car would have a 3.70:1?

If I went from an 3.90:1 to a 3.70:1 what would the effect be and how much of an effect would it be?

Would the LSD's from the Finland 6 pot automatics above ^^^ be any different?
higher top speed but slower acceleration, and harder to pull away or reverse

hotrod222278

• southampton
  • Omega MV6 (now dented)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2008, 16:11:41 »

Another interesting post...

"no 'normal' Omegas came with LSD

All police-spec Omegas had LSD ( fitted by MSD as part of the conversion package )
'fraid not ;)

Define 'normal' The LSD was available as an option extra and is still available as a spare part unit from vaux at around £2500 >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.