Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best PAYG Sim...  (Read 1772 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Best PAYG Sim...
« on: 15 February 2017, 21:53:40 »

... for Gran Canaria?

Ideally with a decent helping of data...
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Best PAYG Sim...
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2017, 22:15:22 »

Assuming you dont have any Roaming mins or data?, your better off doing your homework and buying  a Sim when your out there.

For calling home, Sykpe or Whatup, or buy a calling card or use a VOIP Service like Rebtel.

Are you still on T Mobile?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2017, 22:43:49 »

I am, but their roaming rates are horrific...

Have just had an older phone unlocked ready and with a fresh battery it will be good to go...

Was thinking 3 as GC is outside the EU, which complicates things as it is effectively Rest of World :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2017, 23:23:47 »

I got a Lebara SIM for when I needed to talk to a friend in Texas: the rates are very reasonable - so cheap I've forgotten how much because I've ceased to worry because my pension isn't under attack!  8) :y

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2017, 23:59:32 »

I am, but their roaming rates are horrific...

Have just had an older phone unlocked ready and with a fresh battery it will be good to go...

Was thinking 3 as GC is outside the EU, which complicates things as it is effectively Rest of World :-\
Yea, quiet possibly, I was going to suggest the Euro Booster for a month, used to be a Fiver, but I cant remember whats what now how my mins etc.

One thing you can do, if you need to send a real Text like its coming from your number, is send a TM Web Text online for free in any country, I say for free it comes out of you Text allowance, not sure if thats any good.

WhatsUp works really well for voice calls aboard, and its free, works better than Skype in my experience.

Rebtel is also good, if you can understand the local / free call rate malarkey.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2017, 00:08:41 »

Absolute no brainer for me this one.

3 mobile.

GC counts as a "Feel at Home" destination, as do all the Canary Islands. So, if you buy one of their PAYG add ons (basically a bundle that lasts 30 days max), you can use the minutes texts and data as if you were in the UK. The only exception being that you can't tether with the data when you're outside of the UK.

This page confirms the Canary Islands are included as a feel at home destination.
http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/spain

and this one explains what add ons you can buy. SWMBO usually buys the £25 one for unlimited data, but TBH depending on what you use the data for, the £20 one (12gb) or even the £10 (1gb) could be enough. She downloads stupidly big work files to her phone and then transfers them to her laptop, and skype calls a lot.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs

Note that 3's standard tariff for PAYG is 3p/min, 2p/text and 1p/mb of data but feel at home does not apply to this, you need an add-on bundle. Also, if you wanted to switch to a 3 monile contract, they are all "feel at home" too. My current deal is something like 8gb data and unlimited everything else for £18/month and given I travel 30+ weeks a year, it saves me a fortune. It covers me everywhere I go except mainland china. Last time I went there I hit nearly £250 bill on my work phone in just over a week  :o
« Last Edit: 16 February 2017, 00:10:14 by jimmy944 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2017, 02:06:13 »

Spanish tariffs seem to have very low data allowances looking at the Spanish version of CarphoneWarehouse :-\

3 Add ons look like the way forward :y and even the £25 one is less than it cost me to use my EE phone there last year :o

Wifi at the hotel is crap to poor, and €18 week just to rub it in...

Will just need to remember to use the phone periodically to keep the sim active. No tethering is a bind... tablet makes for much easier viewing... might need to address that too :-\

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2017, 02:30:18 »

Absolute no brainer for me this one.

3 mobile.

GC counts as a "Feel at Home" destination, as do all the Canary Islands. So, if you buy one of their PAYG add ons (basically a bundle that lasts 30 days max), you can use the minutes texts and data as if you were in the UK. The only exception being that you can't tether with the data when you're outside of the UK.

This page confirms the Canary Islands are included as a feel at home destination.
http://www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/spain

and this one explains what add ons you can buy. SWMBO usually buys the £25 one for unlimited data, but TBH depending on what you use the data for, the £20 one (12gb) or even the £10 (1gb) could be enough. She downloads stupidly big work files to her phone and then transfers them to her laptop, and skype calls a lot.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/pay_as_you_go/Phone_tariffs

Note that 3's standard tariff for PAYG is 3p/min, 2p/text and 1p/mb of data but feel at home does not apply to this, you need an add-on bundle. Also, if you wanted to switch to a 3 monile contract, they are all "feel at home" too. My current deal is something like 8gb data and unlimited everything else for £18/month and given I travel 30+ weeks a year, it saves me a fortune. It covers me everywhere I go except mainland china. Last time I went there I hit nearly £250 bill on my work phone in just over a week  :o
Sounds good, worth checking as Im not 100% sure about this, but I dont think you get full unlimited data when roaming on All you can eat, think its limited to 12gb or something similar.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2017, 19:47:53 »

Spanish tariffs seem to have very low data allowances looking at the Spanish version of CarphoneWarehouse :-\

3 Add ons look like the way forward :y and even the £25 one is less than it cost me to use my EE phone there last year :o

Wifi at the hotel is crap to poor, and €18 week just to rub it in...

Will just need to remember to use the phone periodically to keep the sim active. No tethering is a bind... tablet makes for much easier viewing... might need to address that too :-\

I used an app called pdaNET on my phone at work before we got the 10Gb dongles so I could view e-mails and download drawings, it`s free with annoying ads and limitations but the paid for version was only £4.99 and worked a treat. Might be worth a look if you really want tethering.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2017, 12:31:46 »

When I went to Lazagrote last Autumn, I just bought a local SIM out there...  ...though as I only use data (landline is VoIP, and have the VoIP app on the mobile), I just bought a data-sim
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.