Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay nonsense, or is it me?  (Read 658 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
eBay nonsense, or is it me?
« on: 29 October 2021, 10:26:41 »

I ordered something from a seller on eBay. Buy it now, and specified click and collect at the local Argos. Waited the 2 weeks, and when nothing turned up, contacted the seller. They confirmed the package had been returned to them for unknown reasons, and that I could either have a refund, or they would resend it. I said to resend it, and that's where things started to get strange.

The seller says they can only resend if I close the case on eBay. However, the eBay screen I have says that if I close the case then that's the end of it as far as eBay are concerned - if the package goes missing again, then I have no further recourse? I told the seller that as far as I'm concerned, they've got my money and I haven't got the goods, so I wouldn't close the case until/unless I received the goods.

In then end I've just opted for the refund, and ordered the same thing elsewhere.

I've never sold anything n eBay, so is it me, or have I potentially avoided a scam whereby the seller gets me to cancel the complaint and then never sends the goods?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: eBay nonsense, or is it me?
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2021, 10:40:38 »

Sounds like a scam to me. Ebay really seems to be getting worse in various ways .
I hadnt sold anything on there for quite a while and tried to list a few things recently. I couldnt do it unless I supplied them with all kinds of personal info, so just chucked the stuff in the bin instead.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2021, 11:28:50 »

I ordered summat from a seller in the South West, who used Amazon to ship it.

They got all pissy when I suggested that they were simply drop shipping Chinesey knock offs... My suspicions were confirmed by the notification from Amazon that it had been delivered... To the seller ::)

Then I read their feedback.

Took eBay and PayPal to get a refund. The seller certainly wasn't in any rush to deal with it.

I tend to be quite picky about who I buy from, and avoid anyone with a trading address east of Myanmar unless it is the only place globally that have exactly what I require.

I tend to shop around for car parts and only buy new from a handful of companies. Used you buy where you find it and take into account the item condition, location and delivery times. And to their credit, Royal Mail have been pretty decent of late, especially compared to the likes of Herpes. (a low bar by any measure).
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2021, 11:47:47 »

I've just learned a lesson with eBay & that's NOT to sell anything via them. I've sold very few things on eBay & the last thing was a good few years ago.
I've just sold a bed. I put a reserve on it & a BIN of £250. There was a charge for the listing, another for the reserve and yet another for the BIN. Out of the £250 I received £209.29

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2021, 11:58:10 »

This seller is in the UK, and has good Feedback (58K+ sales, and 99.6% positive). I've no reason to believe they are scammers.

But they're saying "If the replacement option would be workable for you just please close the current case as it does not have a replacement option." But when you go to the relevant eBay page "to close the case", it appears that by doing so it means that's the end of any action by eBay, yet I still wouldn't have got my stuff. And if the seller were a scammer, I'm then stuffed.

Under the circumstances, I'd be quite prepared to close the case, but only once I've got my stuff, which is what I told the seller, but they wouldn't re-send unless I closed the case. Not sure why - I just wondered if anyone here had a sellers point of view on it?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2021, 12:16:52 »

I've just learned a lesson with eBay & that's NOT to sell anything via them. I've sold very few things on eBay & the last thing was a good few years ago.
I've just sold a bed. I put a reserve on it & a BIN of £250. There was a charge for the listing, another for the reserve and yet another for the BIN. Out of the £250 I received £209.29
In their limited defence, they do tell you ALL of that as you create the listing ::)

Not to let that ruin a good rant... But ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2021, 12:24:42 »

In their limited defence, they do tell you ALL of that as you create the listing ::)

Not to let that ruin a good rant... But ;)

I knew there were charges or each .... but didn't really look to see what they were. Are they obvious?  :-\

Rant!?  ::) Not really!  ;D ;D

I had to commend them though for the speed of re-reimbursing me for lack of goods a few months back  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2021, 12:45:56 »

(Fees may apply) next to every option that may incur fees.

The listing summary breaks down the total listing cost.  ;)

To answer Albs point re details, this has changed since their contract with PayPal as an exclusive payment source ended... Now connects directly to a bank account or card rather than via PayPal so that ebay gets the fees from handling the transaction instead of PayPal. However if you use PayPal to receive payments from eBay, you still get whacked with the PayPal fees on top of the eBay ones.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2021, 18:14:28 »

The seller is scored on how quickly they "resolve" issues, so are keen to close cases as fast as possible.  Hence the request to close.  The standard answer if you are in the refund or resend option is to always refund, even if you buy again from same seller.

Of course, why didn't the seller contact you that they had received the package back (almost certainly a lie, and it was never sent)?

The answer to that is that the majority of egay sellers are thick/lazy/dishnoest - delete as appropriate.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2021, 19:15:33 »

Those qualities aren't mutually exclusive  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.