Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How safe is your job?  (Read 2386 times)

05omegav6

Re: How safe is your job?
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2013, 22:07:35 »

Fairly. Looks like there is a good appetite for Movie streaming on mobile devices
Won't help the people at blockbuster  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2013, 22:18:05 »

Like most employed people though, in real terms, I have took a huge drop in salary since 2009.... >:( >:(

Although at different places, I'm now on the same-ish take home pay as I was nearly 10 yrs ago .............

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2013, 22:18:34 »

Fairly. Looks like there is a good appetite for Movie streaming on mobile devices
Won't help the people at blockbuster  ::)

Classic case of them not adapting. People don't go to shop to rent, you get it from your device. Huge brand power, good cash at the time, they chose not to go into streaming when it mattered.

Now you have likes of Netflix and errr my new employer NowTV  ::)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2013, 22:36:48 »

No problems with mine, ( civil servant) even plenty of overtime for those who want to do it ..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 November 2013, 22:40:40 »

No problems with mine, ( civil servant)
Who can tell with mine. It's very much up in the air at the moment ...... waiting to see what Warren thinks  ??? ???

even plenty of overtime for those who want to do it ..

Same here. You can work every week end 12 hrs Sat & Sun if you want   :o :o

2boxerdogs

« Reply #20 on: 15 November 2013, 22:47:24 »

I actually applied for the early retirement package that was being offered, they estimated that about 300 would go for it, 1,700 of us applied  so it came to nothing. Next April I am going part time taking my gratuity & pension ,do half the hours for the same money so a better deal in the end.

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2013, 18:27:09 »

Is any job safe? About 2003 the company I work for laid off 50% of it's staff, then grew to more than twice the size it was pre-layoffs until 2008 when it laid off 5% of the staff overnight.

Nobody is safe and there's no loyalty in business..

I always chuckle at the annual questionnaire when it asks "Do you trust the board to have the best interests of the company in mind?" .. there's no option for "I trust them to have the best interests of their bank accounts in mind" ;D

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 November 2013, 19:45:59 »

im medicaly retierd so somone please sack me from that ;D ;D ;D
and me kevin ;D ;D

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 November 2013, 18:05:30 »

Methinks no job is safe, have been made redundant approx 7 times, ( twice from same firm) , company at present is only 3 of us , and generally is hand to mouth-( so get expenses in asap!), but we are told we are coming out of recession !

MR MISTER

« Reply #24 on: 24 November 2013, 18:06:46 »

My job is very safe.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 November 2013, 10:49:53 »

For me, I could never state that my job is safe (although this drill ship project is a 5 year contract on its own), I can only ensure I am employable in order to secure work for the future.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 November 2013, 11:35:10 »

Is any job safe? I work in an industry most would regard as pretty secure but the problem is that , regardless of the economic climate, the shareholders always want more. It wont matter that you still make profit-or lots of it-what matters is that you make more profit than last year. One of the biggest influences on this is costs. And the biggest influence on costs? Wages. Hence all this talk amongst many of us that we are currently earning in real terms little if any more than we did 15 years ago and why so many positions are being made redundant and replaced by fewer and less well paid roles that basically do the same job as before but with a different job title and why new higher management (no doubt on inflated wages) are brought in to instigate new initiatives that will save money and enable us to work "smarter". Inevitably such initiatives thought up by mr/mrs/ms bluesky involve new technological initiatives not properly road tested and with no input from those pesky employees at the sharp end either so expect slow and reluctant u-turns at some point. I used to work for a company which was very old fashioned and the owner was no doubt seen as much as a ludite as anything-but then sometimes, just sometimes, maybe the adage "If it int broke, dont fix it " can be true? There is much to admire in the Toyota management ethic of constant improvement-but change for change sake is not the same thing. Its all down to money and, well, greed really and the current "Im alright Jack" government is not helping matters.Hopefully I'll still have a job in July. Whether its on a similar salary is another matter :-\
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.