Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy saving and combi boilers.  (Read 985 times)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
Energy saving and combi boilers.
« on: 19 November 2013, 23:20:05 »

As the general skank of energy prices continue to increase with bills paying toward green energy solutions a 2yr old could tell you are not going to work, i digress.

If you supply warm/ hot water to the return circuit (coming from the radiators) will the boiler continue to pump without the gas flame cutting in?

The boiler fitted at the mo is a valiant turbo max 824e for those slightly interested.

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
Re: Energy saving and combi boilers.
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2013, 00:18:10 »

Short ans - Yes (but)

The boiler will burn gas to achieve the temp it set at for it's internal water temp sensor. That is normally adjustable and the temp for the rad water. Mine is set so that I can put my hand on a rad and keep it there without any discomfort but know it is hot

The pump will send water around the rads as long as the room stat is demanding it ,or, the radiator valve stats are open and allowing the flow. if no flow the boiler will shut down as it will overheat.

HTH
Phil
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2013, 07:44:01 »

There should be a "bypass" path fitted inside the boiler which will allow some water to flow between the heating flow & return circuits without damaging the boiler. I say should be as some older ones didn't have them.

One of the rads (usually the one in the vicinity of the thermostat) should be fitted without a TRV and effectively sets the temp as measured by the stat. This is the rad that should get hottest.

The pump should continue to run for a while after the burners have switched off - this removes some of the heat in the assembly  - which would rise otherwise if the pump stopped as soon as the burner cutoff.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2013, 08:07:45 »

There should be a "bypass" path fitted inside the boiler which will allow some water to flow between the heating flow & return circuits without damaging the boiler. I say should be as some older ones didn't have them.

Not actualy required in a Y plan setup as there is never a situation where the valve(s) block flow to both the heating circuits and water circuit, hence you will also see new installs without them.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2013, 08:10:24 »

If you supply warm/ hot water to the return circuit (coming from the radiators) will the boiler continue to pump without the gas flame cutting in?

Yes, in short whilst there is demand from the motorised valve(s) (which is the part that actualy commands the boiler on, the valve being switched by the thermostat), the pump will continue to run period. If the return water temperature is above the setting of the boiler thermostat then the boiler will not fire.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2013, 09:50:42 »

The bathroom has a towel rail which has no valves fitted so constant circulation will be ok.

So the thermostat should be moved to the new coldest part of the house to keep the combi pumping water around?

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2013, 08:36:11 »

On our system, the radiator by the front door is the open one, this is normally the coldest part of the house and is the radiator  furthest from the boiler (but I don't think that matters).
best wishes
Simon.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2013, 08:37:55 »

The thermostat may be ok where it is, its normaly in a hall way (as hot air rises so the downstairs is coolest) where the rad has no thermostatic valve fitted

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2013, 18:11:11 »

One of the rads (usually the one in the vicinity of the thermostat) should be fitted without a TRV and effectively sets the temp as measured by the stat. This is the rad that should get hottest.

The pump should continue to run for a while after the burners have switched off - this removes some of the heat in the assembly  - which would rise otherwise if the pump stopped as soon as the burner cutoff.

Mines got one, with a valve.....i've shut it off, as the rad in the bathroom doesnt have a thermostat on it and all the other rads (except 2 bedrooms rads, mine not included) have the thermostats fully open. I let the room stat in the dining room control the room temp. Result of doing that, the bedroom rads get a lot hotter than were before.

If i ever move again, i will open up the valve again, in case some numpty turns off all the rad stats and shuts the bathroom rad off and turns the heating on  ::)

MR MISTER

« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2013, 21:28:35 »

Be funnier if you didn't, Dave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.