Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol flap security - petrol theft  (Read 3462 times)

Carolina

• Enfield
    • Omega GLS Estate 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Petrol flap security - petrol theft
« on: 28 November 2013, 13:50:32 »

Hi Guys,

I have an Omega Estate GLS 02. Someone has tried to steal fuel from the car. On first occasion 2 weeks ago flap was open & cap on the ground, not sure if fuel was taken or not. After that I always checked flap was secured & parked car elsewhere. This morning flap was open again, I know it was secured. So methinks it can be accessed with screwdriver, is that possible as there were no scratch marks? Tank was on red anyway. Would this model have anti-syphoning? If not can I get a locking cap to fit?
Would appreciate advice, thanks

Dan282

• Stoke on trent
    • 2001 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol flap security - petrol theft
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2013, 13:51:40 »

The fuel filler cap should lock with the central locking.

Carolina

• Enfield
    • Omega GLS Estate 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2013, 14:07:06 »

The fuel filler cap should lock with the central locking.

Hi,

The flap locks with the car, but I think someone is managing to open this to access the fuel cap.

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2013, 14:52:21 »

Check that the circular plastic part at he back of the flap isn't broken or the hinge mechanism isn't excessively worn.The circular part is there so the rod from the locking motor can engage with it and prevent the flap from opening. My car had a piece broken out of this and the flap use to open even when the car was locked.
Also,if the hinge is worn it can allow the flap to move out of alignment so the rod doesn't got through the hole to engage with the flap,so the flap doesn't lock.
If all looks ok, operate the central lockin with the flep opened,so you can see if the rod from the central locking motor is moving backwards / forwards as it should.
The cars do have an anti syphoning system so it should be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to syphon out the fuel.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2013, 15:28:11 »

The filler door is only plastic so could easily be forced open. I've tried the syphon fuel from both my Omega & an Astra I had, I was unsuccessful with both cars.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2013, 15:48:14 »

The filler door is only plastic so could easily be forced open. I've tried the syphon fuel from both my Omega & an Astra I had, I was unsuccessful with both cars.

Easiest way is to remove/cut the pipe between the fuel pump and fuel filter, disconnect the pump electrics, and run it off a portable 12v source. The pump then empties the tank into your waiting receptical. Probably best to try and avoid too many sparks when connecting the battery to the fuel pump  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2013, 16:25:51 »

Easiest way is to remove/cut the pipe between the fuel pump and fuel filter, disconnect the pump electrics, and run it off a portable 12v source. The pump then empties the tank into your waiting receptical. Probably best to try and avoid too many sparks when connecting the battery to the fuel pump  ;D

or stuff a screw driver in the bottom of the plastic fuel tank  ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2013, 16:28:22 »

or stuff a screw driver in the bottom of the plastic fuel tank  ;)

Ok should have said easiest non destrucive way .... :)

relluf

« Reply #8 on: 28 November 2013, 17:09:53 »

When I scrapped my mfl gls I managed to syphon out half a tank of diesel with no issues ,just stuck some piping through the filler cap ,did not seem to have any anti syphon in place!

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 November 2013, 17:46:07 »

Not really sure some of the above comments are of help to the OP ;) :-X as she wanted to know if there is a locking cap that will fit the Omega filler to replace the normal one.  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2013, 18:35:16 »

Hi Guys,

I have an Omega Estate GLS 02. Someone has tried to steal fuel from the car. On first occasion 2 weeks ago flap was open & cap on the ground, not sure if fuel was taken or not. After that I always checked flap was secured & parked car elsewhere. This morning flap was open again, I know it was secured. So methinks it can be accessed with screwdriver, is that possible as there were no scratch marks? Tank was on red anyway. Would this model have anti-syphoning? If not can I get a locking cap to fit?

I would think Halfords may have one, and if you ask nicely they can fit and demonstrate it for you. :y

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2013, 19:07:23 »

Hi Guys,

I would think Halfords may have one, and if you ask nicely they can fit and demonstrate it for you. :y

At a price ;D ;D
best wishes
Simon.

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2013, 20:18:05 »

Poke a bit of plastic pipe down the filler hole , think you will find its got a steel gauze in the pipe so cannot be siphoned , least it was the last time i tried  :-\  Either that or it has a bend in the pipe  :-\ Close the flap and tape it up an see if its been disturbed , more than one way to catch a thief  >:(
« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 20:20:26 by Emd »

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2013, 20:26:02 »

Poke a bit of plastic pipe down the filler hole , think you will find its got a steel gauze in the pipe so cannot be siphoned , least it was the last time i tried  :-\  Either that or it has a bend in the pipe  :-\ Close the flap and tape it up an see if its been disturbed , more than one way to catch a thief  >:(

Yep, wire the flap up to a mains cable ::)
AKA - Mr Bracket

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2013, 22:28:22 »

Yep, wire the flap up to a mains cable ::)

3 phase at the very least.  :y :y :y :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.