Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Busted wheel locking bolts  (Read 3244 times)

powerslinky

Busted wheel locking bolts
« on: 09 August 2014, 17:57:13 »

Hi all

My latest black 3.2 MV6

got a problem here  . .  started to prep my alloys for refurbing today . .  1st wheel front n/s  . .  got the locking bolt

key out & it seemed a good fit . Could not budge it with 400mm bar :( , so went on to the other 4 normal bolts .

these must have been done up a windy gun on max or Clark Kent  ::) ::)

Had to use a 1 metre bar to crack these. . . crikey they were tight :o :o

Went back to the locking one & had an assistant help to keep things all square ;)  eventually cracked the locking one as well. but again really tight .

On to the next one  . . same thing  . .so very very tight but cracked the 4 normal ones after a struggle :(

Moved on to the locking one  . .  no joy . cut a long story short the locking key/socket has sheared off leaving all the bits in the locking bolt :'( :'( :'(

So now what ?  any suggestions to help?  Locking bolts are Genuine VX part No.93173882 .  I know these have a code thats on a card in the plastic box they come in  . . . but no card or number in this one . 

There is however what looks like  101 written on the key in faint felt pen . Guessing this could be the code :-\

By "key" I mean the Socket security adaptor that fits on the locking bolt

Is it possible you can buy a  replacement key from VX if you have the code?

Does anyone have a set to check if the code is a 3 figure number ?

Or any other suggestions to get the other 3 off ::) ::) ::)

TIA       Al ;)

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
Re: Busted wheel locking bolts
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2014, 18:08:24 »

hi,

just checked mine i dont no if thats my code there an eight digit code on my bolt box. :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2014, 18:14:48 »

Take your motor (with all the bolts put back on lol  ::)) and pay a couple of quid to have them chisel them off for you. Then replace with normal nuts (extra couple of quid if you have none spare)  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 August 2014, 18:15:34 »

*edit*

Take your motor to a known good tyre shop  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 09 August 2014, 18:16:15 »

hi,

just checked mine i dont no if thats my code there an eight digit code on my bolt box. :)

Thats more likely to br the VX part No.  Mick  :-\ :-\

My apologies for this thread  . .  I did not realise Terry Pedget had a similar one running  :-[ :-[

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2014, 18:18:32 »

Take your motor (with all the bolts put back on lol  ::)) and pay a couple of quid to have them chisel them off for you. Then replace with normal nuts (extra couple of quid if you have none spare)  :y

Doubt they could do that Webby as the bolts are in a deep recess as they are  late  3.2 MV6 /Elite wheels

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2014, 18:22:54 »

Doubt they could do that Webby as the bolts are in a deep recess as they are  late  3.2 MV6 /Elite wheels

Fair enough mate  :y Glad I have the sub standard CD wheels  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2014, 18:33:13 »

Just checked the breaker and the card said 104
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

powerslinky

« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2014, 18:40:35 »

Just checked the breaker and the card said 104

thanks for that Omegod . . My  101   Sounds promising then  :y   will call VX on Monday  to  see if they have a master to crack 'em

I will then be chucking 'em as far as possible ;D ;D ;D

badmuver

« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2014, 18:42:15 »

I had to take my car to the garage as mine locking nut socket broke  >:(, It took them about 20 mins  and about £20 to do all four  :).

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2014, 19:43:40 »

Wheel nut torque is 110 Nm which is tight enough. Then allow for the wheels having been put on 2 years ago by a gorilla in a tyre shop with an air line impact wrench set on maximum torque and I find they are jolly hard to remove. Long breaker bars often fail, and can come off the nuts and damage them. The answer is a big high torque impact wrench set on max. I have never known that fail, and I can hold it firmly and square on the nut.

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2014, 21:47:26 »

Finally got the last one off today  . . .  taken nearly 2 weeks to sort this  . . .  brought a replacement 101 "key"  for £20 . .

Snapped on the first attempt  :'( :'( :'( :'(   as said these wheel nuts were tighter than anything I'd come across before .

Had to resort to various techniques but one was on so tight we had to resort to a careful bit of "keyhole" welding .

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger  once a bolt was welded to it .

All the wheel bolts were like this  . . .   it's been a nightmare  . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2014, 21:55:02 »

. . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

:y :y :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2014, 22:13:18 »

Finally got the last one off today  . . .  taken nearly 2 weeks to sort this  . . .  brought a replacement 101 "key"  for £20 . .

Snapped on the first attempt  :'( :'( :'( :'(   as said these wheel nuts were tighter than anything I'd come across before .

Had to resort to various techniques but one was on so tight we had to resort to a careful bit of "keyhole" welding .

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger once a bolt was welded to it .

All the wheel bolts were like this  . . .   it's been a nightmare  . . . but now sorted  . . . 'appy days  :y :y :y

That brings back memories  :(

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2014, 22:41:09 »

had a 3 foot snap on bar with a length of scaffold pole over it to remove the bugger once a bolt was welded to it .

That brings back memories  :(

Yup.......... :D :D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.