Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rain Water Ingress!!!!!!!!!  (Read 842 times)

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
Rain Water Ingress!!!!!!!!!
« on: 26 August 2010, 15:05:19 »

Hi guys, i didn't drive my miggy yesterday (Wednesday) and as any of you in West London should be aware it was a rather wet day here (around 8-12hrs of rainfall). When i last used the car i checked that ALL windows and doors were closed fully as i always do.
When i returned to the car this morning i found (to my horror) that the rear nearside passenger footwell was in fact a large puddle approx 3-5cms deep.
I have searched in vain to locate where the water is getting into the car but could find nothing. I'm only lucky my mother in law has a VAX.
Has anyone else had this or a very similar problem and furthermore does anyone have any possible solutions. The ONLY thing i can think it might be is an old and life expired rear nearside rubber door seal????
More rain has showed up this afternoon here and i am worried that i am going to keep having more of the same trouble as we are now heading for the wetter part of the year.
Please help???
Why oh why was there never a V8 Omega????
Such a missed oppurtunity.
Look forward to the Cadillac ATS & ATS-V. Maybe a re-badged one will replace the Miggy as a RWD runner?

mantahatch

Re: Rain Water Ingress!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2010, 15:13:02 »

Think I would start with sitting inside while somebody liberally sprays a hose pipe at the car.

Also checking the boot seal. was car parked on a slope with the boot higher than the bonnet.

Not much help I am afraid, but it is a start. If you don't have access to a hose pipe then a trip through a car wash can show things up.

HTH

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2010, 15:13:25 »

Hi guys, i didn't drive my miggy yesterday (Wednesday) and as any of you in West London should be aware it was a rather wet day here (around 8-12hrs of rainfall). When i last used the car i checked that ALL windows and doors were closed fully as i always do.
When i returned to the car this morning i found (to my horror) that the rear nearside passenger footwell was in fact a large puddle approx 3-5cms deep.
I have searched in vain to locate where the water is getting into the car but could find nothing. I'm only lucky my mother in law has a VAX.
Has anyone else had this or a very similar problem and furthermore does anyone have any possible solutions. The ONLY thing i can think it might be is an old and life expired rear nearside rubber door seal????
More rain has showed up this afternoon here and i am worried that i am going to keep having more of the same trouble as we are now heading for the wetter part of the year.
Please help???

Check under your pollen filter-the chamber there is likely to be full of water as bottom drain will be full of crud.

I'll try and find the guide to show you.

Common issue, easy to sort  :y :y

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2010, 15:18:51 »

The car was parked on a flat car park and it doesn't seem likely that it came from the boot as this is dry too.

I did try to pour lots of water over the nearside of the car after VAX-ing but it did not seem to show anything obvious to my wife who was sitting/observing in the rear of the miggy.
Look forward to the Cadillac ATS & ATS-V. Maybe a re-badged one will replace the Miggy as a RWD runner?

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2010, 15:21:43 »

Please help???

Check under your pollen filter-the chamber there is likely to be full of water as bottom drain will be full of crud.

I'll try and find the guide to show you.

Common issue, easy to sort  :y :y

Can't find it  :-[

Looking at front of car, open bonnet and under windscreen pull rubber seal off on right hand side by hinge to access pollen filter.  Look down and there is an air intake chamber for the ventilation, which has a drain at the base-use a long cable tie or similar to poke through the water and clear it.

It is a common fault when the drain fills with seeds, leaves and debris, making the water drain very slowly-in a downpour, the water cannot clear fast enough, fills the chamber and overflows into the passenger footwell.

If you clean the drain out thoroughly, it will stop it happening.

I hope nothing has got damaged by the water, though...

Hope this helps-had to do it on mine  :y
« Last Edit: 26 August 2010, 15:22:37 by geoffharvey »

beemerdevil

« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2010, 15:23:35 »

hmmm....yea, its probably because it rained SO hard for SO long, and with the car sitting, that the water has eventually found a 'weak' way in. I would be inclined to go for an 'aged, perished' door seal rubber. Sit inside the car and get someone to pressure wash all round the door seams/seals, and hopefully this will detect the leak.  - HTH :y

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2010, 15:27:45 »

Some good ideas guys. I will be sure to check all of these scenarios.
Just for the record, nothing was damaged but my carpet looks a whole lot cleaner now.

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2010, 15:32:32 »

Some good ideas guys. I will be sure to check all of these scenarios.
Just for the record, nothing was damaged but my carpet looks a whole lot cleaner now.

Don't be tempted to use a hose to check this intake as you WILL fill the car with water all too easily  :y

It is the most likely culprit in a heavy downpour as usually the water can clear fast enough through the debris in the drain, but a sustained downpour will overwhelm it and it will overflow into the floorwell.

Judging by the circumstances and location of the water; and the fact this is all too common a problem, this is where I would start  :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2010, 15:54:20 »

Common problem, lack of cleaning the scuttle drain - How to here:-

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1167524083
I like red cars

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2010, 16:45:23 »

Exactly the same happened to me with the puddle on the rear carpet.

Eventually traced to that pollen filter housing everyone talks about. The drain hole clogs up with leaves etc, the water builds up and eventually flows though the pollen filter into the car behind the glovebox and down onto the front passenger carpet.

It did not show on the front carpet for some strange reason. I think it was being soaked up by the sound proofing underneath the carpet but it travelled from the front to the back carpet. The car was parked on a flat surface!! It took ages to dry out the carpet and the sound proofing.

I am really wary about this happening again. If I hear about any predicted heavy rainfalls I go out and clean the muck out of the pollen filter housing using a hosepipe. Did it last Tuesday and both (have 2 omegas) had blockages.  A very poor design!!

Result, no water soaked carpets.

Lesopc

• Intermediate Member
  • West London
  • Worlds Biggest GM Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2010, 17:29:10 »

I have just been out to the miggy and looked in the pollen filter bay. When i opened it i found around 3-5 inches of standing water.
I then proceeded to use my oil dipstick (very carefully) to try and push the muck through. It is very confined and i have big arms/wrists but i managed to budge it a little. I then saw where the drain exits inside the engine bay and reached down and manipulated the filth with my fingers until it shifted suddenly and let all the water out. I then flushed it through with 5 litres of water from a can in my boot.
The whole process took me between 5-10 mins.
Thanks to all for the advice and i will be sure to check it regularly and hope it solves the TITANIC problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.