Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling rules - 250 posts.  (Read 18104 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Selling rules - 250 posts.
« Reply #75 on: 08 June 2015, 18:23:47 »

Another valid point. Recommended sellers desperately needs looking at. We could never get it to work in the way we envisaged. To the point, there was a discussion to remove it entirely.

Ok, we're talking at cross purposes by the looks. By that I mean, admin are looking at a private criteria, or whatever you want to call it.

Members seem to presume, or is it just me, that they will have some sort of input. If that's not the case, then can we separate the issue?

Ignoring recomended suppliers, for a minute, I think there's grounds for recomended parts section. There would need to be a structure on pricing. I guess? Like on tyres with top end, mid range and budget where available. Etc

But it would save people a lot of money having the latest info, such as idlers, on a particular part to hand. If a part goes tats up, then we need to know. Such as lemforders idlers. GM only now.

Can I draw attention to this again..?
Why? You've made you point. Let somebody else have a go. Then all views can be taken into consideration :)
Grumpy old man

The Sheriff

« Reply #76 on: 08 June 2015, 19:29:13 »

My turn to have some input.

I don't give a shite, do as you like.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 08 June 2015, 20:50:41 »

I don't think its worth the up keep, we all have different needs.

One mans budget tyre, is another's premium.

The forum is not nearly as active as it once was, I personally don't see the point in creating it.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 08 June 2015, 21:23:06 »

Another valid point. Recommended sellers desperately needs looking at. We could never get it to work in the way we envisaged. To the point, there was a discussion to remove it entirely.

Ok, we're talking at cross purposes by the looks. By that I mean, admin are looking at a private criteria, or whatever you want to call it.

Members seem to presume, or is it just me, that they will have some sort of input. If that's not the case, then can we separate the issue?

Ignoring recomended suppliers, for a minute, I think there's grounds for recomended parts section. There would need to be a structure on pricing. I guess? Like on tyres with top end, mid range and budget where available. Etc

But it would save people a lot of money having the latest info, such as idlers, on a particular part to hand. If a part goes tats up, then we need to know. Such as lemforders idlers. GM only now.

Can I draw attention to this again..?
Why? You've made you point. Let somebody else have a go. Then all views can be taken into consideration :)

Because you asked for opinions and have commented on everything else except. Well you did ask. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #79 on: 09 June 2015, 07:28:38 »

I don't think its worth the up keep, we all have different needs.

One mans budget tyre, is another's premium.

The forum is not nearly as active as it once was, I personally don't see the point in creating it.
1. Somebody elses' needs might warrant the up keep, even if yours don't...

2. True enough, but plenty of other tyre threads deal with that particular conundrum.

3. People move on, both in cars and in life generally. Sure, it's easy to blame sniping/terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired/playground bitchiness etc as the cause, but the reality is that people have other things going on and times change... getting married and having babies for example... ::)

This forum, as an Omega B based resource, isn't about any one person, but a free to access/use encylopedia of information and knowledge that is invaluable to Omega/Catera owners across the globe, and to not have a current guide to various parts could be argued as a serious omission... especially as decent or cost effective parts get harder to source :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 09 June 2015, 10:02:22 »

I agree with Tunnie, the workload that a Recommended Parts Section would create would be tremendous, almost a full time job I'd say.  :-\

I think the Admins have enough on their plate keeping this place going as it is and do a great job!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 09 June 2015, 10:47:43 »

Also what becomes a reccomended part? Who makes the call? 100 people giving feed back, 10,000 miles covered? By who? Does one persons good feed back warrent it to be "reccomended"?

Driving styles can take very different tolls on parts. One mans good part is another mans ebay crap.

No doubt create lots of discussions of why XYZ part is not recommended. Person A says its good. Person B says don't bother, failed in 500 miles.

Some may have bad experience of said part, others good.

Personally I think it is a can of worms, best kept shut.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 09 June 2015, 12:31:34 »

Also what becomes a reccomended part? Who makes the call? 100 people giving feed back, 10,000 miles covered? By who? Does one persons good feed back warrent it to be "reccomended"?

Driving styles can take very different tolls on parts. One mans good part is another mans ebay crap.

No doubt create lots of discussions of why XYZ part is not recommended. Person A says its good. Person B says don't bother, failed in 500 miles.

It strikes me that you have benefited massively from experience and guidance on what parts to use and where to obtain them (either shared openly on the forum or first hand from the admins) - it seems a bit selfish to not share that knowledge with future naive Omega owners.

Clearly there are some caveats
- OOF needs to include disclaimers in any advice given
- The owner profile is changing - A few years ago a sizeable minority of members were driving £10K cars and paying main dealers to 'service' them. Now the newest cars are 13 years old and worth pocket money either owned by enthusiasts or 'cost conscious' (tight fisted) owners. The enthusiasts are happy to fit the best parts, the cost conscious will fit pattern every time.

Maybe recommended threads should be set up as polls. If you see a recommendation you don't agree with you would then get a chance to flag it without getting lost on page 23 of the comments?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 09 June 2015, 12:44:12 »

It strikes me that you have benefited massively from experience and guidance on what parts to use and where to obtain them (either shared openly on the forum or first hand from the admins) - it seems a bit selfish to not share that knowledge with future naive Omega owners.

- The owner profile is changing - A few years ago a sizeable minority of members were driving £10K cars and paying main dealers to 'service' them. Now the newest cars are 13 years old and worth pocket money either owned by enthusiasts or 'cost conscious' (tight fisted) owners. The enthusiasts are happy to fit the best parts, the cost conscious will fit pattern every time.

Maybe recommended threads should be set up as polls. If you see a recommendation you don't agree with you would then get a chance to flag it without getting lost on page 23 of the comments?

But it's shared all the time?  Not sure how it's not being shared? Or how I'm personally restricting it? :-\  :-\

If someone posts up asking about New Shocks, Belt, tyres ect, everyone gives their opinion, including me. It's all there in a single thread, people recommend various elements, some dating back from when OOF was founded. Eg cam sensors being GM only, to new stuff where we suggest some parts on test, or more recently success stories such as Meyle? 

That's how the forums work, I personally don't see the point in another big list that needs to be maintained and discussed about what goes in it.

Just put your thoughts/opinion into a newbie or long standing members thread, job done. Why create more work/effort/maintenance?

OOF has been around for what, nearly 10 years now? When I first bought my 2.2 in 2005, it's never been dealer serviced. So I don't think the approach to parts has changed that much, if at-all. Just best value for money, which has always been the case for any recommendation.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 09 June 2015, 14:25:07 »

Thats what i was Asking a few weeks ago on another thread comparing it to Driving like miss daisy & Colin Mcrae  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 09 June 2015, 16:08:33 »

Thats what i was Asking a few weeks ago on another thread comparing it to Driving like miss daisy & Colin Mcrae  :y

Exactly  :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 09 June 2015, 16:15:29 »

I agree with Tunnie, the workload that a Recommended Parts Section would create would be tremendous, almost a full time job I'd say.  :-\

I think the Admins have enough on their plate keeping this place going as it is and do a great job!  :y

Which is exactly why I pushed TB for an answer.

Woutjout sticking my nose in where it's no business being, some new interest is possibly needed.

But ultimately a development process has been in place since oof started. What important is that experiences are exchanged, and solutions found.

Take exhausts. I found the TV ones where poor. Posted up, James had a solution with eternal. It's a natural process.

All I'm asking is the latest thinking be recorded in a more accessible place. Especially as there is a section sat doing nout already.

But yes it will take some work. Hence asking TB directly. I guess the he doesn't want to give a positive answer so is saying nothing. Perhaps. But whatever :)

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 09 June 2015, 19:31:42 »

I'm below the 250 posts required, and if I have a useful comment on the help section - invariably I find that someone has beaten me to reply (usually in a more knowledgebly manner, (becos am iggerant)) , but the guides are excellent varying from stripdown to normal servicing niggle.  so in conclusion OOF is one of the best , but sadly omegas are dying off, and I still haven't got around to swapping engine from my tourer into my FL CDX - basically it still passes mot ( but has 1.4 corsa"s plates on back)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 09 June 2015, 19:43:07 »

Although by "work" I don't mean admin writing out acres of text, I envisaged just moving the odd thread as Jimbob does now, once offered up in test zone.

It will need an index, and grading from eBay shite to GM rip off, but grading would need to be part of the criteria for members to stick to on the back of a thread if there's more than one option....

....but I'd guess an index is a lot easier to organise from scratch with half a dozen threads to start things rolling, than it was to sort out the FAQ and maintenance sections as Jimbob did, when there's over 100 threads to sift and sort out. Bugger that ;D

Perhaps then a link in the guide,? Links posted in test zone for Jimbob or admin to move and ad to the guides well.

Or, of admin can't be arsed, open a moderator only account and allow trusted member/s to do the work. IF software allows of course. Close account once most of the work is done.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 09 June 2015, 19:55:11 »

But it's shared all the time?  Not sure how it's not being shared? Or how I'm personally restricting it? :-\  :-\

If someone posts up asking about New Shocks, Belt, tyres ect, everyone gives their opinion, including me. It's all there in a single thread, people recommend various elements, some dating back from when OOF was founded. Eg cam sensors being GM only, to new stuff where we suggest some parts on test, or more recently success stories such as Meyle? 

That's how the forums work, I personally don't see the point in another big list that needs to be maintained and discussed about what goes in it.

Just put your thoughts/opinion into a newbie or long standing members thread, job done. Why create more work/effort/maintenance?

OOF has been around for what, nearly 10 years now? When I first bought my 2.2 in 2005, it's never been dealer serviced. So I don't think the approach to parts has changed that much, if at-all. Just best value for money, which has always been the case for any recommendation.

What you forget is, TB is always moaning/threatening/joking delete as applicable, that oof is in decline and it will be closed to members one day and the site left up as a resource.

IF that ever happened, or happens, we might want to consider getting something on place before he strops off permanently ;D closes the site members. If nothing else of will eliminate an area of constant inane debate about which part is best. You notice tyre threads are thinner in the ground since they have been sifted through with recommendations and a minimum criteria of what's acceptable.

You yourself moaned like hell at Dtm's recommendation on kyb springs. They simply aren't that bad, BUT if something like this had been in place to start with you may not of payed out on them in the first place.

It may also take away a reason for some to have something to moan about. ::) but then they'd moan they had nothing to moan about ;D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.