Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for the motorbike to go...  (Read 15759 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Time for the motorbike to go...
« Reply #45 on: 08 August 2016, 17:37:24 »

Scuffed body work and a London commute are a marriage made in heaven... My concern is the mechanical longevity... ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 August 2016, 17:42:11 »

Scuffed body work and a London commute are a marriage made in heaven... My concern is the mechanical longevity... ;)

It's not really a London commute, not doing central and the car goes into a secure ANPR car park for staff only.

RE mechanicals, hence my concern around a CLS, my budget sees examples of 110-120k, where as S80 I can get them below 100k.

Also seen S80 has radar/adaptive cruise, this is a tempting feature for a motorway commute.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 08 August 2016, 19:13:15 »

Also seen S80 has radar/adaptive cruise, this is a tempting feature for a motorway commute.

It's an option on a Merc ... as with everything ..... Distronic. It's the Merc badge that's black & shiney around the 3 point star

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 08 August 2016, 19:30:55 »

If I had a pound for every Volvo D5 on ebay with "Spares or repairs" after it I'd not need to go to work.  The fact that some of them have done 300k doesn't tell you anything other than that some poor bugger had to pay through the nose to keep it on the road.

The other thing to watch with the volvos is a truly SHOCKING turning circle. Like really really bad. So if parking in a multi storey daily might want to factor that.

If you've got the money for 2007+ mercedes I'd do that.  Personally I wouldn't pay extra for sat nav as the pre 2010 (i think?) one is pretty poor.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08 August 2016, 19:52:01 »

If I had a pound for every Volvo D5 on ebay with "Spares or repairs" after it I'd not need to go to work.  The fact that some of them have done 300k doesn't tell you anything other than that some poor bugger had to pay through the nose to keep it on the road.

The other thing to watch with the volvos is a truly SHOCKING turning circle. Like really really bad. So if parking in a multi storey daily might want to factor that.

If you've got the money for 2007+ mercedes I'd do that.  Personally I wouldn't pay extra for sat nav as the pre 2010 (i think?) one is pretty poor.

I hate to tell you this, but Mercedes dealers are the ones I visited most as a recovery driver!

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 08 August 2016, 21:36:31 »

I hate to tell you this, but Mercedes dealers are the ones I visited most as a recovery driver!

And? Did I say it was the most reliable? How many volvo S80's were sold for every mercedes sold?  0.0000001 perhaps?   ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 08 August 2016, 21:40:17 »

probably due to the same fault that they couldn't fix  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 08 August 2016, 21:40:50 »

Yeah 2009 they go hard drive  :y

I'd want Xenons though, so usually means sat nav to as always with Mercs, they are optional and not many have Xenons  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 August 2016, 22:16:42 »

I'd want Xenons though,  ....

I miss my Omega's xenons

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 08 August 2016, 23:08:27 »

I'd want Xenons though, so usually means sat nav to as always with Mercs, they are optional and not many have Xenons  :(
You'll struggle to find Xenon lights on a Volvo of that age too... Expensive option that nobody ticks...
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 08 August 2016, 23:46:00 »

You'll struggle to find Xenon lights on a Volvo of that age too... Expensive option that nobody ticks...

Easier than CLS, seen quite few of them with it.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 09 August 2016, 09:39:34 »

I've decided to sell my motorbike  :'(

Recently someone I had met only once, but was an extended family member on MrsT side had a bit of a smash. By the description of being air-lifted to hospital and it being touch and go, I assumed it was a 60mph+ smash. But no he was on a 30mph road, he went through back window of someone turning in front of him. (it was his fault sadly)

I'd seen smashes before, when riding into London you would see odd bike down and people around him/her. But this time it was how it affected his family, I was getting the stories of impact to his family. Wife having to get Kids with friends to be looked after, so she could go visit him. Kids asking where is Daddy and so on, he will also need a lot of after care having to go daily to a nurse/doctor even when he is released from hospital.  Some of the meds were so strong, he was not making sense on a lot of visits his family would make to hospital as well. I could not put my family through that....

So that combined with fact I used bike for 60 days in total last year (I kept a record) and so far this year around 30, thanks to crappy June weather. I'm not using it that much, I don't ride in the rain, don't like it.

With 2.2 getting on a bit and to be honest I'm getting a bit fed up of a manual in heavy daily traffic (pass the humble pie?!) - I think it's time to let the bike go and put what I can together for a replacement to the Omega.

I'll open up the floor to guess what I'm looking to replace it with and no it's not another Omega.  ;D

Fair weather biker  ::) :P  I miss the biking days especially the rides to Scotland  :)
Omegatitis

aaronjb

« Reply #57 on: 09 August 2016, 09:44:20 »

I look enviously at the bikers filtering through traffic and think "Oh, how much quicker would the commute be on one of those"

Then I think of the smear I'd leave if someone changed lanes without looking, or how wet I'd get in the pouring rain, and I think maybe my cage isn't so bad after all..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 09 August 2016, 09:49:39 »

I look enviously at the bikers filtering through traffic and think "Oh, how much quicker would the commute be on one of those"

Then I think of the smear I'd leave if someone changed lanes without looking, or how wet I'd get in the pouring rain, and I think maybe my cage isn't so bad after all..

Yup, then add in when it's 25c + you arrive in a ball of sweat because of all the gear on and low speed riding and pi$$ed off at cars pulling out and you and getting stuck while filtering. Then take off all the gear, stuff it in a locker and change into normal work clothes. To be honest, that combined with putting on the gear the other end nearly writes off all time saved on the journey.

Then when it's dark cold and -5 outside you don't want to take the bike, you want a nice warm comfy car that does not need 3 layers, thick gloves which you can't feel the controls or thin gloves with heated grips.

it's also another thing that needs MOT, tyres and insurance!

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 09 August 2016, 09:54:33 »

Those mittens are good once you get use to the finger positions  :( I went for the heated gloves then had some bar muffs .. kept me toasty on long journeys .
Omegatitis
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.