Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant Leak ? Can you concur please ?  (Read 539 times)

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
Coolant Leak ? Can you concur please ?
« on: 23 June 2007, 21:30:59 »

I think I know the answer to this BUT I thought I'd check with you guys BEFORE I start ranting and raving at our local garage.

I've noticed that I'm having to top up the coolant levels rather a lot, ever since I had the Cam belt, Water Pump and Auxillary belt changed. After a 750 mile round trip to Plymouth and back this past few days, during which time I had to top up the coolant twice, I decided to have a closer investigation. I appear to have a coolant leak. low down at the front of the V6 engine. Leaked coolant appears to be laying along the top of the sump AND in the well below the rads....the card board type thing. None of the pulleys at the front appear to have much coolant on them apart from a few "splashes" and as the leaking coolant seems ONLY to be concentrated towards the bottom of the engine block.

I SUSPECT and HOPE that the leak is coming from the recently fitted water pump somewhere and is leaking out under pressure and then decorating the lower section of the engine block courtesy of the air flying through the front...especially given that I wasn't hanging about during our recent trip.

I would be VERY gratefull if anyone could concur with this theory prior to my Monday phone call. Is there any other place, that low down and in that position that coolant could be leaking from. ???

« Last Edit: 23 June 2007, 23:52:56 by duggs »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant Leak ? Can you concur please ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2007, 21:36:21 »

Water pump is likely. It could be from top of valley (stat and cooler plate), and run down behind the rear cam cover plate...
« Last Edit: 23 June 2007, 21:36:50 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2007, 10:38:28 »

Sounds like water pump leaking...

It will be a case of one of the following:

Muppet did not bother to clean engine block to ensure clean mating surface.

Muppet did not check to see what correct torque setting is for water pump.

Muppet did not even change water pump!

As you may have gathered, I did not think the person who did the work was entirely competent.
If they were they would have done the job properly and you would not have a leak!  >:(

When you are there, and since the will have to remove cambelt cover to access water pump, ask them to confirm (ideally show you with a torque wrench) the torque settings for the rollers, the tensioner and the water pump!
The Administrator.

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2007, 11:01:26 »

he he he he...Thank you laidback....Love yer comments....problem is that I can't really print it off and give it to said Muppet. He MAY get a tad upset of our description of him....BUT I really appreciate your feedback...I'll write your comments down and try to tacfully tell them what I "suspect" to be the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.